• This topic has 159 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jaame.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 160 total)
  • Marzocchi 55 CR – Any experience/thoughts?
  • hora
    Free Member

They look like great forks for the money (and weight). Anyone owned/tried them?

jimthelad
    Free Member

They are ace. Im running the 2013’s at 150mm on my BFe. Really easy to adjust the travel. Really stiff. Nice and plush. Can’t fault them really!

gonzy
    Free Member

had them for a year and they are superb. currently got them at 170mm. they are surprisingly light for a big travel fork with 35mm stanchions. out on the trail they are stiff and track brilliantly. the suspension action is typically smooth and plush like the marzocchi forks of old and they’ve handled everything i’ve thrown at them with ease.
    they come with the 3 year no service warranty so should be a fit and forget component.
    they also look very pimp with the black lowers and gold stanchions!

hora
    Free Member

Sounds good and no complex TST/ATA fail stuff

Onzadog
    Free Member

I specced a set of these for a mate’s build. Nearest thing we could find to the original bomber in terms or just quietly getting on with its job.

I think avalanche also do a cartridge to fit them if you want them tuned.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I bought a set of these a couple of weeks back for my Wolf Ridge and am very impressed indeed – they’re nice and plush, very linear compared to the Wotans I replaced and they’re nice and tuneable too. There’s a little braking dive, but it’s easily dialled out with some compression damping without upsetting the small bump smoothness. They’re light too, surprisingly so for an enduro fork.

The only real bugbear for me is that the supplied spacer will only drop to 150mm, not 160mm but a few minutes with a hacksaw, sandpaper and superglue gave me the 10mm spacer I needed.

hora
    Free Member

Bought/received. Wow they are frankly gorgeous arent they 🙂

PJM1974
    Free Member

Yes. Yes they are. 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Winstanleys come set at 150mm with the spacer in the box.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Fitting the spacer is an absolute doddle, the fact that it only comes in 20mm is an inconvenience, but not an insurmountable one. According to Windwave, they are looking at supplying a 10mm spacer.

gonzy
    Free Member

Winstanleys come set at 150mm with the spacer in the box.

are you sure? mine came set at 170mm with the spacer in the box. using the spacer drops the travel to 150mm….unless they’ve given you a spare one…great purchase by the way, you wont be disappointed! 😀
    how much did they cost you?

hora
    Free Member

Doh- I’ll double check tonight. What psi do you guys run? Are the official figures bang on?

jonnyblease
    Free Member

Very interesting, was just looking at these last night. I’ve currently got a set of Fox 2013 34s CTD and not massively impressed. I’m debating on whether to spend c£200 getting this plush tuned by TF or selling and getting some of Marzochi’s.

Not sure at the moment? Anyone had the opportunity to compare the Marzochis with Fox 34s?

jedi

i got them on my transition bandit at 150mm. love em

gonzy
    Free Member

What psi do you guys run? Are the official figures bang on?

i weigh 10.5st(ish) (66kg/145lb) and i think i’m running mine with about 80psi. marzocchi recommend 87psi for rider weights between 65-85kg/143-187lb…so it seem to be reasonably accurate but i’ll double check what my forks are running tonight to be sure and let you know.

i was contemplating bodging the spacer but, i think i’ll wait for the 10mm spacer to become available so i can drop them to 160mm….

gonzy
    Free Member

Anyone had the opportunity to compare the Marzochis with Fox 34s?

i’ve never owned a pair of fox but a friend has a pair of fox 36s and he’s ridden my bike and seemed tolike the smooth and plush feel of the marzocchis over his foxes.
    on paper your 34s are lighter and are more adjustable especially with the CTD cartridge but they come with a 15mm axle. compared to the 20mm axle and 35mm stanchions on the marzocchis is would be easy to assume that the marzocchis would feel stiffer. also with the 3 year no service warranty marzocchi seem to be taking a step in the right direction again regarding reliability which is more than can be said about fox. personally i’d rather not waste time servicing a fork everytime i looked at it….once its set up correctly it should be a fit and forget item and be worked on once every every blue moon or when it actually needs the work doing

jonnyblease
    Free Member

Thanks. Well the plan would be to ditch the CTD mechanism and have it replaced with the Push tuning conversion kit to a high speed and low speed compression adjustment;

http://www.pushindustries.com/2009/index.php?menu_id=38&type=products&title=FOX%20FLOAT%2034%20CTD&product_id=108

But like I said previously this isn’t cheap at £200 and giving I can pick up a pair of 55s for about £450, providing I can get £250 for my Fox 34s it then becomes a cost neutral decision.

Decisions decisions…

scruff
    Free Member

Mine have just gone back to LBS then Windwave, leaking oil and air after fitting new seals to stop an air leak 😥
    I find them really divey aswell, putting 50ml of oil in the air chamber helped.

hora
    Free Member

Scruff are yours the R or the CR?

st

Scruff’s are the CRs

hora
    Free Member

Yep at 170mm. Need to drop down to 150mm however I cant open the pdf’s on my phone and only found this guide which seems ‘drastic’ :O

m.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=15445&pagenum=132

Any easier way?

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Love my CRs
    Moved from a fox 36rc2, these are so much plusher
    Ignore the psi settings I’m a big boy 100kg and run 85 psi for a sag of 20%

gonzy
    Free Member

checked my forks last night….running at 70 psi

windydave13
    Free Member

Mine arrived this morning and they’re a thing of beauty to look at.

Just need to find time to fit ready for saturdays ride 😆

hora
    Free Member

checked my forks last night….running at 70 psi

Weird I did the street spin last night and I’m ‘sure’ I need 100psi minimum!. I’m 15stone 4 without any kit

gonzy
    Free Member

according to the marzocchi website for your weight (97kg/213lb) you should be running 101.5 psi so i reckon you’re bang on there.
    http://www.marzocchi.com/template/detailProdotti.asp?LN=UK&idC=1561&IDFolder=113&IdOggetto=62487#

EDIT: this air pressure can be used for rider weights between 85-105kg/187-231lb so unless your kit weighs a ton then you should be fine at 100 psi

windydave13
    Free Member

Mine seem ok at 85psi with my weight of 85kg.

They look better on the bike than they did in the box!!

Marzocchi 55 CR by windydave13, on Flickr

Out of interest, how many clicks of compression are you guys running??

Dave

gonzy
    Free Member

i think my compression is set to halfway….i didnt count the number of clicks!
    TBH i cant even remember how many clicks of rebound i’ve set either but i’ll be having a fettle of the bike tonight to fit the new 10sp drivetrain so i’ll be checking so i know how i’ve set it up.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted some 55R to my Zesty and they are lovely to look at and ride well happy with the Bombers

windydave13
    Free Member

I’ll give that a whirl at half way. think from memory there are 7 clicks of compression adjustment.

Perhaps i’ve missed it, but did anyone get instructions on fitting the spacer??

Dave

gonzy
    Free Member

Perhaps i’ve missed it, but did anyone get instructions on fitting the spacer??

not sure about that. there was a little booklet in the box but i kind of disregarded it and but it away. i’m presuming that there should be instructions on how to fit the spacer in there but i could be wrong…another thing to check tonight. but apparently windwave are supposed to be making a smaller spacer available to drop the travel to 160mm so i’m going to wait for that first.

windydave13
    Free Member

Cheers for that. I’m thinking the same as the little bit of rubber didn’t look overly symetrical and don;t fancy cutting it and destriying it or causing more problems at a later date

I’ll take another look in the manual tonight.

gonzy
    Free Member

i justed asked windwave about the 10mm spacer and this is their response:

Hi,
    At this current time there is no 10mm spacer available to set the forks at this travel.
    We shall be enquiring further about this in April at a Marzocchi meeting. Hopefully we have further news on this later in the year.

Regards

Shaun Kendall

http://www.windwave.co.uk

we may be waiting a while then…. 😕

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Can’t be too difficult to make a spacer can it?

Andy-R

I haven’t (unfortunately) got these forks but if you’re only talking about 170mm versus 160mm (0.5 degree angle change) couldn’t you just run them a bit deeper into their travel to achieve the same thing and with the benefit of more negative travel?

Or just run them at 170mm….

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

2 clicks of compression here otherwise the ride gets harsh and full travel is harder to achieve

daveh
    Free Member

Can you not use M10 washers (or whatever) as a spacer as per Rockshox forks?

gonzy
    Free Member

2 clicks of compression here otherwise the ride gets harsh and full travel is harder to achieve

wow!! only 2 clicks? i cant remember how many clicks but mine are set with about 2 thirds of however many clicks in total. with 75 psi and that many clicks i’m still getting full travel but the forks dont dive as much….so they’re spot on now.

windydave13
    Free Member

I went with about 3-4 clicks of compression with 85psi. The travel and brake dive was fine, but it did feel like i had a bit of “top out” when lifting the front wheel. Saying that though, it could just be play in the headset as i fitted them in a rush.

I found climbing a bit more of a challenge with the extra travel but i reckon just a bit more angle on the seat and it’ll feel fine.

This was the top of Nan Bield – A nice test for their first outing 😆

Nan Bield – Marzocchi 55 CR by windydave13, on Flickr

hora
    Free Member

On the compression – I found on a carpark test my forks feel harsh/horrible but spot on on rocky descents. If I turned the compression/rebound to feel smooth on the road it packs down etc on the rocky stuff!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘Marzocchi 55 CR – Any experience/thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.