Mary Towneley Loop Mtb Challenge on sunday roll call

Home Forum Bike Forum Mary Towneley Loop Mtb Challenge on sunday roll call

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Mary Towneley Loop Mtb Challenge on sunday roll call
  • Premier Icon dawson
    Subscriber

Yep, 2nd year for me. Hoping the weather is better than last year, as that cobbled road in the rain last year was grim.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Please tell me you’re not doing it on the singlespeed, you lunatic?! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

MrSparkle

http://www.rpmrt.org.uk/mary-towneley-loop/
    Think I’ll be doing this. Anybody else up for it?

MrSparkle

Probably. It was ok last year. I may do it on the cross bike though, given what I’m training for…

Premier Icon pypdjl
    Subscriber

I’ll be there, likewise would prefer a bit less rain though!

bones76

I’ll be there too…Just entered online and really looking forward to it, actually be nice to get bike on the mountain bike having done so much cross riding for the last 5/6 weeks

Premier Icon terrahawk
    Subscriber

Might do. Will prob do the cx race at Leverhulme Park though, I’ve signed up fert league and everyfink.

headpotdog

Yup, I’ll be there too and I’m really looking forward to it ๐Ÿ™‚ . Been praying for no rain for weeks now and so far the weather forecast’s looking OK with only a chance of showers on Saturday. No need to thank me ๐Ÿ˜‰

Not done this event before and I’ve not ridden in that area either, so I’m not quite sure what to expect. It’s also been quite a while since I did a ride much over 30 miles, so I’m just hoping to get round OK. Think I’ll just take a sh*t load of soreen and hope for the best I reckon.

Premier Icon Clover
    Subscriber

Take a bible and prayโ€ฆ.

I’ve done the MT loop a few times and the last time there was a storm that got me three times. Just sort of circled round firing doom, hailstones and deluges whenever it spotted me. I was prepared with a change of waterproof socks but they were a mere temporary glimmer of comfort between onslaughts. I’m sure it will be ace.

richpips

May do.

I’m not coming if it’s going to be puddletastic though.

There’s registration on the day. ๐Ÿ˜‰

posiwev

Yep, I’ll be doing it again, hopefully they’ll record my finishing time unlike last year………..all good fun though………..?

Premier Icon sefton
    Subscriber

Horwich Humdinger CX round 1. otherwise I might have had a crack.

Premier Icon sefton
    Subscriber

Horwich Humdinger CX round 1. otherwise I might of had a crack

headpotdog

Hmmm. Looks like things are not looking too rosey for Sunday anymore & our prayers for sunshine aren’t working ๐Ÿ™

BBC are forecasting that “Sunday should be much windier with rain followed by clearer conditions and showers”. Might have to invest in a pair of waterproof shorts now. Don’t fancy a wet backside for 8 hours…

Premier Icon dawson
    Subscriber

If I put my mudguards on my bike its bound to be sunny, right? ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

Premier Icon dazh
    Subscriber

I entered in advance for this to give me motivation to not wimp out if the weather was crap. Looking at the forecast I’m beginning to regret that now. Still, there was a similarly grim forecast for the Holme Valley Challenge last Sunday and it turned out to be sunny all day so you never know.

888trojan888

I’m in.

I may be bring a spare dingy if the weather forecaste is anything to go by ๐Ÿ™‚

Premier Icon dawson
    Subscriber

Despite already paying to enter, I’m considering having an attack of common sense, and stopping at home.

I did the Malham Tarn Challenge earlier this year and abandoned that at the half way point as I was near hypothermia. Don’t fancy that again!

Premier Icon dazh
    Subscriber

Pity they can’t bring it forward a day as it’s going to be sunny tomorrow. Rather strangely after seeing the forecast yesterday I’ve gotten over the sense of dread and I’m now rather looking forward to it. I’m more concerned about the bike seizing up half way round from all the mud and grit.

bones76

I also did the Malham Tarn challenge and also called it a day just after half way but not because of the weather but because i took a wrong turn at the cross roads(No marshall) was very disappointed as was going quite well up to that point, but you have brought back the memories of how wet and cold that day was!!

And i have also got the possibility should i choose of doing the first Cross race in the NWCCA on Sunday, thing is am doing the 3 peaks and think the MTL will put me in good stead…God sometimes i hate making decisions!

richpips

The weather is looking a little better now. Still rain but not quite as windy.

I may be there. ๐Ÿ™‚

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

I really don’t envy them out there in this today. The weather is absolutely grim! That special type of zero visibility, riding through a cloud, soaked to the bone grimness this part of the Pennines does so well.

Any reports on how they’re getting on

jekkyl

It’s all part of the experience, haha a shit one!!

ScottChegg

Whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.

Not much comfort today. I went around Cragg this morning it was nasty.

MrSparkle

Back now. I am pretty ruined, tbh. That was tough with capital F! Still, good 3 Peaks training.

Premier Icon deets
    Subscriber

I was only a minute slower than last year, which under the conditions I’ll take as a success! Really tough out there today, I never usually have to work that hard going down hills…

Premier Icon Bolt
    Subscriber

Rain was bearable but the wind was a nightmare in places.

Big thanks to the organizers and marshall’s dont think standing out in that was much fun!

Bolt

Premier Icon dawson
    Subscriber

yep, I did it. 7hrs 50mins including a puncture, on the last rocky descent back into Waterfoot ๐Ÿ‘ฟ

Nearly got blown over on Rooley Moor!

Premier Icon sefton
    Subscriber

respect all!

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Respect indeed. You’re all braver/madder than me! That’s for sure. You couldn’t even see Scout Moor for most of yesterday. It looked truly grim up there!

Premier Icon dazh
    Subscriber

I wimped out in the end. Decided I could probably cope with the rain but not the wind. Plus I was still hungover from a massive bender on Friday night so my willpower levels were rather low. Massive respect to all who did it, and especially to the marshalls. Giving up a Sunday to stand still out in that weather is above and beyond the call of duty.

Premier Icon dawson
    Subscriber

I had a brief chat with a guy on an Orange 5.

He had bivi-ed out the night before and was doing the MTL with all his bike packing stuff strapped to his bike as preparation for a bike-packing trip in Wales ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

Premier Icon fozzyuk
    Subscriber

Hi Dawson that would have been me with the camping gear, good chatting… I made it back about 4.15pm cracking ride out and quite stunning wind and rain…

Proper mountain biking on proper industrial fells ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ll be back next year!

silverscoob

Did it as well Sunday, first time and actually enjoyed it.
    Anyway, RPMRT posted up finishing times pdf so have reformatted and mucked around to show positions and overall duration.

MTL 2013 Results list.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Mary Towneley Loop Mtb Challenge on sunday roll call’ is closed to new replies.