Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 124 total)
  • Mars rover.
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

You’ll be suprised to read this, but a positive post from me! I’m pleased that Curiosity is down and safe, something of that small child who watched the Apollo programme still shines through.

dogbert
    Free Member

this is amazing, boggles my tiny mind to think that this is a completely different world:

Bimbler
    Free Member

The computer on board is considerably less powerful than my phone

Mars Curiosity rover on-board computer specifications: 200MHz CPU, 256MB RAM, 2GB SSD drive. Runs VxWorks as operating system.

molgrips
    Free Member

We can do this yet still people die of hunger etc

Feeding the world is much much harder than this!

That’s cos it doesn’t need to run Aero or play multimedia websites 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

What is that on the horizon ? 😯

ohnohesback
    Free Member

“No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man’s and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. With infinite complacency men went to and fro over this globe about their little affairs, serene in their assurance of their empire over matter. It is possible that the infusoria under the microscope do the same. No one gave a thought to the older worlds of space as sources of human danger, or thought of them only to dismiss the idea of life upon them as impossible or improbable. It is curious to recall some of the mental habits of those departed days. At most terrestrial men fancied there might be other men upon Mars, perhaps inferior to themselves and ready to welcome a missionary enterprise. Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us. And early in the twentieth century came the great disillusionment”

I hope that we do find some sort of life, or evidence that life once existed there.

thedon
    Free Member

Is there anywhere I can watch this now,? I’ve searched and can’t find a thing.

allthepies
    Free Member

MARDI, DAN and RAD 😆

Pook

If they upload the vids to vimeo they’ll get better HD quality than that ^^
    ;o)

CaptJon
    Free Member

It is staggering they sent that about of scientific equipment to another planet!

molgrips
    Free Member

Interesting that this rocket powered steady descent from space thing hasn’t even been done on earth, has it?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I think that is because of the earth’s higher gravity and the amount of fuel it would take to decelerate a manned vehicle.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

allthepies – Member

What is that on the horizon ?

Looks like the outside wall of the film studio. 🙂

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Excellent! I was erring towards thinking it’d just crash and burn, very pleased to be proved wrong.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I watched a bit of the Q and A this morning . . . it was like non of them new anything about anything . .

bikebouy
    Free Member

What if it gets a flat tyre?
    And that suspension is straight off an Orange 5 no?

This could be the best “what tyres for…?” thread eva.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Mars Curiosity rover on-board computer specifications: 200MHz CPU, 256MB RAM, 2GB SSD drive. Runs VxWorks as operating system.

But does it do Flash?

GrahamS

I find this considerably more impressive than a man running ever so slightly faster than another man.

Maybe McDonalds should sponsor the next mission. 😀

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Hear hear! Though I suspect if Maccy D sponsored the next mission excess launch weight may be a problem…

GrahamS

Don’t get me wrong. I like the Olympics, but it is a sad statement that we, as a society, are more interested in “man throw spear good” than “many people build incredible vehicle, fly it millions of miles to another planet, land it safely, then get it to send back pictures!”

M6TTF
    Free Member

need a better camera – someone turned the colour setting off

lazybike
    Free Member

“man throw spear good”

…. 😆

GrahamS

need a better camera – someone turned the colour setting off

I think they used Instagram to appeal to the hipster crowd.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

But so true. In the age of nuclear weapons and drones people are still still chucking javelins and discuses. Has no one told them that they’ve been eclipsed by technology?

butcher

I find this considerably more impressive than a man running ever so slightly faster than another man.

Maybe McDonalds should sponsor the next mission.

I find it a shame that space exploration lacks funding. It’s pretty amazing the stuff we’ve done so far, and to explore is a basic human instinct – it’s the reason we’ve come as far as we have.

But McDonald’s on Mars. I’m not sure where that sits on my moral compass 😕 Kids will be looking out at the skies at night, with their telescopes, confronted by big yellow Ms everywhere.

Northwind

molgrips – Member

Interesting that this rocket powered steady descent from space thing hasn’t even been done on earth, has it?

Even assuming the differences in gravity and atmosphere didn’t scupper it, it’d be a daft way to land an object on earth… We’ve got runways to land on and seas to splash in, cities to crash into if you screw up… And also the requirement when we land stuff on Earth is just to get it down safe, we don’t routinely send space probes to explore Camden Town or whatever. Though, perhaps we should.

Northwind

Current live broadcast on NASA TV is going splendidly. How do these guys put a man on the moon when they can’t even put a man on the telly? :mrgreen:

bikebouy
    Free Member

It still amazes me that them there scientist types can build something and fire it at a planet “one million” miles away and hit it..or rather land something on it, in the place they wanted it to land and yet some women can’t park a car between two lines*.

How on “earth” do they work out the trajectory??

“is thinking it’s all magic and dragons and potions”

*there was going to be some caveat here but there isn’t, cos it’s true.

molgrips
    Free Member

How on “earth” do they work out the trajectory??

It’s not that hard! One of the very easiest things on the whole mission actually, Newton could probably have done it 400 years ago.

Figuring out how to hover the landing craft is far more difficult I think. Not to mention modelling the martian atmosphere…

Cougar

One of the very easiest things on the whole mission actually,

Yeah, it’s not rocket science.

Oh.

Cougar

You could find out for yourself, of course.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/

Design your own rocket and send it to the, er, Mun.

scuzz
    Free Member

It’s not that hard! One of the very easiest things on the whole mission actually, Newton could probably have done it 400 years ago.

Getting a probe to Enceladus, on the other hand…

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s not rocket science

No it’s not, it’s just calculus.

Cougar

No it’s not, it’s just calculus.

Artistic licence, hush.

(-:

Northwind

molgrips – Member

Newton could probably have done it 400 years ago.

Yep. What a slacker.

Klunk
    Free Member

love the twitter feed…

Guided entry is begun. Here I go!

Entering Mars’ atmosphere. 7. Minutes. Of. Terror. Starts. NOW.

Parachute deployed! Velocity 900 mph. Altitude 7 miles. 4 minutes to Mars!

Backshell separation. It’s just you & me now, descent stage. Engage all retrorockets!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Newton..? The fella from Brighton that plays an acoustic?

Neat..

Though is he 400years ols?? Looks well on it.

That twitter feed is funny..

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘Mars rover.’ is closed to new replies.