Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Mars and the Moon
  • thewombles
    Free Member

Should we go there ?

and more importantly when can we ride the first track there 😀
    (just watched moon stuff on iplayer)

Nick

yeah we should go there, don’t ask me why just seems like we should

Kuco

Because we have never been their 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alwyn
    Free Member

Moon definitally, then we can easily fuel Nuclear Fussion.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Moon definitally, then we can easily fuel Nuclear Fussion.

Really, how will that work then?

Oh and yes to both.

alwyn
    Free Member

It has a large source of tritium, which is used in the fusion process. This is the major reason the US are starting new moon missions. The shuttle holds just about the right amount to power America for a certain amount of time I cannot remember.

djglover
    Free Member

Lifetime supply of cheese

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Yes, I want to meet that cooker with a truncheon.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Cool, well except that the shuttle can’t go to the moon but that’s not really relevant.

hot_fiat

YES! Purely for the singletrack on Olympus Mons: 88000ft tall, no rain, no crowds, but sadly the uplift is a little costly and the lack of Oxygen may be a slight downer.

Does it really have oodles of tritium? Why?

alwyn
    Free Member
    HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

the entire human race will eventually become extinct if we stay here, what with the threats from the sun burning out, giant meteors, huge tsunamis, climate change (man made or otherwise), super-volcanoes and the like.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

the uplift is a little costly and the lack of Oxygen may be a slight downe

true, but the gravity at 1/6 of earth’s should help even if you need the extra weight of a couple of oxygen bottles

thewombles
    Free Member

we are going to the moon tomorrow for those interested
    moon flyby

Fly me to the moon …..in other words…..yeah baby

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Keep away from the Moon …………. it’s crawling with Nazis

samuri
    Free Member

Since tritium is highly radioactive

Aah great. So it’s only a matter of time before a cheap assed space ship driven by a half crazy freighter pilot burns up in the atmosphere by accident and showers the entire globe in highly radioactive material.

thewombles
    Free Member

erm sorry to break it to you samuri……its to late, see this thread i started earlier lol
    did we drop something?

hot_fiat

5hit! Who let that cat out of the bag? I thought it was generally accepted within the educated cummunity that we weren’t going to let on to the tree-hugging crusty club that nuclear fusion, just like fission, produces loads of radioactive waste. D’oh!

zokes
    Free Member

But as radioactivity goes, it’s pretty weedy really…

Flaperon

I don’t think it’s the tritium that causes the problem, instead the reactor itself becomes radioactive after some time. They’ve already commissioned a study into how they’re going to get rid of the ITER reactor IIRC.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Dump it in Cumbria 🙂

thewombles
    Free Member

Id suggest Yarmouth, it might improve the place

Moses

at least moon-Nazis drive on the correct (left) side of the road.

zarquon
    Free Member

There’d be LOTS of neutron radiation around a fusion reactor, you would not want to be around, remember neutron bombs, the ones that killed people rather than destroyed buildings?

zarquon
    Free Member

Oh and you can get the fuel for fusion reactors from the sea – so it would be a bit over the top to go to mars or the moon to “mine” it

MrSalmon
    Free Member

The shuttle holds just about the right amount to power America for a certain amount of time I cannot remember.

Are you joking here? I can’t quite tell.

Trimix
    Free Member

Didnt Wallace and Grommit go there already ?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Tritium can easily be made by using lithium as the coolant around the reactor, in more than sufficient quantities – no need for the moon.

Northwind

Once you’ve got reliable spaceflight, you can just fire your wastes into the sun anyway. Vitrify it on earth and lift it up in your space elevator.

I think we should be going… They should be viewed as stepping stones, getting back to the moon isn’t an achievement in itself but it gives us better access to orbit (smaller gravity well- build factory on moon, build stuff on moon, launch into earth orbit) Zero gee and low gee have lots of manufacturing potential, not to mention the access to raw materials. Earth orbit is probably going to be more important than the moon itself in the long run though. And there’s all sorts of socio-politico-technical reasons why it would be good.

Also, spaceships are awesome.

IdleJon

gonefishin – Member
    Cool, well except that the shuttle can’t go to the moon but that’s not really relevant.

It can if it parks at the alien space port on the dark side.

See Alien Conspiracy Theory No 248 subsection 5……..

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Mars and the Moon’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts