Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Marple riders (trail closure info.)
  • Bunnyhop

The green lane between ‘Strines’ railway station and the ‘Fox Inn’ at ‘Brook Bottom’ is shut.
    Don’t have any more information.

There is a diversion – Take 1st left after going under the railway bridge, steep climb, the turn right at the top, leading back to Brook Bottom.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Arse! Bet they’re going to make it wheel chair friendly!

MartynS

Ohhhhh that’s not good……

banks
    Free Member

arse indeed, it’ll be gravelled in no time

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

****. If they gravel it it’ll just get washed out and pile up at the bottom and cause a few crashes.

banks
    Free Member

Everywhere gets gravelled in Marple – makes the ‘hazards’ they tried to fix more hazardous.

Anyway, sod off Rocky you’ve got the whole of the lakes to play with 😀

Bunnyhop

The council in their wisdom chose to maintain the track a few years ago, it was quite successful in keeping the water erosion to a minimum. However to gravel the lot would indeed be ‘arse’.
    ‘The Banks’ is graveltastic at the moment.

banks
    Free Member

All is not lost. I hope.

‘repairs to retaining wall(s)’ hopefully done on foot so no gravel.
    Shame with the banks/steps was a wicked decent

Bunnyhop

The council notice says the track will be open 28th. August or possibly earlier. However I’ve been around there a lot in the last week and haven’t seen any sign of repair/rebuilding works going on.

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

I’m surprised you haven’t taken the cheeky opportunity to go tearing down it

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

I note that the nice climb up onto Werneth Low from Higham Cottages is also closed for re-work 🙁

Bunnyhop

Where do you mount it?

Do you mean out of the bottom of the ‘Fox Inn’ carpark? Because it’s well and truely closed at both ends, I couldn’t be bothered.

nbt

Just checked, closed till the end of August

MartynS

it seems its shut to repair the retaining wall which I assume is the wall at the top by the Fox.

It doesn’t look like there has been anything done to the track to get gear in so hopefully its not going to be to messed up..

Whilst we’re here the banks is a right old mess. I moved a railway sleeper out the way yesterday. It was on the corner that had the big hole. The big hole is not as big and all the top dressing they did last summer is now somewhere else!

Bunnyhop

No work has started and there is a new council notice (it was supposed to re-open last Friday). Didn’t read the notice.

However I was very naughty and rode at speed through the carpark of the Fox Inn, down the steep bit at the very bottom of their carpark and down to Strines station, squeezing through the gap at the bottom (where the ‘footpath closed’ gates are).
    Was great to know you’re not suddenly going to come across a herd of horse riders and a group of walkers.
    Dry and dusty too, bonus.

banks
    Free Member

Me too! 8)

Bunnyhop

The latest;
    Council notice now says CLOSED until February.
    It may well be shut, however we will continue to ride it below the dangerous wall bit 😈

BadlyWiredDog

I wouldn’t do that and I’m a real mountain biker, I’m going to Mont Blanc yer know… 😉

nbt

Well we know the landowners and they say it’s ok (actually we do know them, they’re arguing with the council over who’s going to pay for the work so the trail is “closed” until it’s done in case the entire wall falls down on someone before it’s repaired)

Bunnyhop

There is indeed a great similarity between Mt. Blanc and Mt. Lantern Pike 🙂

bikehamster

The trail past Aspenshaw Hall is now also closed for repairs although (as has been noted elsewhere already)that really is a bit of a mess in a couple of places.

Bunnyhop

Up-date.
    I rode past the closed bridleway this morning and it looks like some work is underway. Not that it’s stopped riders who can get through the ‘Fox Inn’ carpark (at the very bottom).

Hopefully it’ll be open in the next couple of weeks

BadlyWiredDog

The Aspenshaw Hall track is still closed btw, and utterly unrideable unless you’re Sam Peat or whatever he’s called. There’s a two-foot deep, one foot wide trench of mud down much of it and four-foot deep holes in comedy locations.

The other week I pushed up it and met a farmer at the top with his tractor. He was very cross and cropped the chain on the gate and set off down the track on his tractor in search of a run-away dog – a Jack Russell I think. On the plus side, the tarmac track below it has been beautifully resurfaced and the top surface of the bridleway proper which had mostly found its way down to Aspenshaw Hall has now been tidied up.

The little bit of singletrack on the campsite descent in Hayfield is rideable again too, albeit with a bit more care than before.

Oh, and there are lots of very grumpy people out at the moment. I think it’s the weather. And the grassy section on Rushup Edge is a little moist at the moment. And there is actual mud on Jacob’s where it’s been flattened on the Hayfield side of the top…

Hurrah!

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

this mud trench sounds like a lot of fun.

BadlyWiredDog

Oh, so much fun…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Marple riders (trail closure info.)’ is closed to new replies.