Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Marple, New Mills, Mellor, Rowarth (etc) riders…
  • peachos
    Free Member

So, I usually ride in the area midweek during winter & make the most of the long summer nights and head a bit further afield…but last night I decided to go for a local blast and it was great. I was exploring a bit and managed to link two routes I know with a short DH section I don’t think I have done before.

This got me thinking…I know a fair few decent descents and trails in the area, but there must be loads more. Anyone fancy sharing some hidden gems? Doesn’t have to be limited to the areas named, can go further afield or even towards Stockport centre…

I’ll start with the section I found last night:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=398710&Y=389370&A=Y&Z=120

nbt

*calderdale*

get a map

*end calderdale*

IN a more serious mode, there’s loads of good riding, but I showed them to Rod who showed them to Tall Mark who showed them to the Clarion and now loads of people ride them and what was tight nadgery singletrack is opening out as it’s being ridden more.

so, no, not online. Come out for a ride and I’ll show you some stuff

peachos
    Free Member

Yeah, Calderdale is good…but I can ride round these parts straight from work/home!

I actually got most of my knowledge from Mark! Been riding the area for the last 3 or so years and haven’t seen that much change, I must say, but your comment is fair enough.

Cheers for the invite…do you ride regularly?

stanley

I need a cheeky-stuff update too 🙂

Up for a short one this weekend? I might be able to escape for a couple of hours.

Got that Flux yet?

nbt

the “calderdale” mention is a reference to the usual response from that area’s locals on here when anyone asks for routes in that area – i.e these are local trails for local people, there’s nothing for you here.

The stuff I’ve seen change is mostly not even on maps – linnet clough singletrack for instance

I get out most weekends and do mean to get out once in the week but haven’t done so for a while

We’re looking at the flux, discussions have begun. Will be riding sunday I’d expect, unless I’m doing the mastic in the en-suite. If only I knew someone who was handy at practical things and didn’t have a job who could do that kind of thing for me =, freeing me up to ride at the weekend…

stanley

er, er, er…… what’s mastic? 😉

Bunnyhop

peachos – nbt, stanley and I are all locals, so get in touch with nbt (e-mail in profile). We ride around here a lot 🙂

stanley

Hey Bunnyhop,

Give us a buzz………….. I’m interested in this Flux your interested in 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

I’ll start with the section I found last night:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=398710&Y=389370&A=Y&Z=120

That’s not really a ‘hidden gem’ is it? Did you mean somewhere else? That’s a bridleway, across a bumpy field, full of some very fierce-looking sheep… very technical cattle grid though 😉

nbt
    BadlyWiredDog

That’s easy, there are no sheep there… I had some really nasty looks off those sheep a month or so back. Big, ugly bruisers. I think they may be guard sheep or something. Sort of half ovine, half bull terrier.

😉

peachos
    Free Member

ha, you’re right. that’s exactly not where i meant!

here, under the trees:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=398485&Y=390107&A=Y&Z=120

might not be a hidden gem to others, but i’ve never ridden it before.

nbt/bunnyhop/stanley – would like to arrange a ride with you lot sometime if you’ll have me. busy this weekend, but hows about during the week next week?

pypdjl
    Free Member

very fierce-looking sheep

I don’t know about fierce, but they are certainly some of the ugliest sheep I have ever seen! Not that I make a habit of checking out the relative attractiveness of sheep, and anyone who says I do is lying.

nbt

This one?

Marple Pootle by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

Yes, nice bit of trail. Andy’s riding a CX bike down it there 😯

peachos
    Free Member

yep that’s it. think its actually a road, rather than bridleway.

nbt

technically it’s a road, a landy’ll be ok but i’m not driing my car down it

BadlyWiredDog

I don’t know about fierce, but they are certainly some of the ugliest sheep I have ever seen! Not that I make a habit of checking out the relative attractiveness of sheep, and anyone who says I do is lying.

Looking through my ‘Know Your Sheep’ book – thanks for that Rich and Shona – I suspect that they may be Shropshires. I prefer Herdwicks. Much neater 😉

BadlyWiredDog

technically it’s a road, a landy’ll be ok but i’m not driing my car down it

Wuss, I rode my cross bike down it the other day quite happily. You just need to pick a cleaner line…

peachos
    Free Member

those sheep were cows last night.

so, without giving all the local secrets away, from the bottom of Grid Lane where else can i go without having to hit the tarmac over to sheepcow fields and then on to Mellor & Strines (which is where i went last night)?

Bunnyhop

Will phone you later Stanley 🙂

I prefer Herdwicks.

They are my favourite sheep, sooo pretty, cute and fluffy.

Gird Lane is not even know to locals much, it’s quite hidden away.

stanley

I’m a strictly non-working student; so have plenty of time off at the moment:-) Could do a ride almost anytime, although I am no local oracle- only been here a year!

Happy to ride further in the Peak too if anyone fancies it.

MMmmmmm,…. Herdwicks- Bang tidy looking sheep. Not enough around these parts, ‘though I saw some in a field above Charlesworth a few weeks ago 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

There are some super fluffy, polar white, show sheep just somewhere near Taxal near the Goyt, hang on….

nbt

from the bottom of Grid Lane where else can i go

there’s not a great deak reakky – greenhill is actually a valley, bu worth a walk to see what condition it’s in. You could go past Lane Ends and have a scout through Etherow (or even Farmer JOhn’s DH track – you can see that start ramp from the A626). Usually though we go back through Mellor Hall and thence towards Rowarth / Brookbottom

peachos
    Free Member

ah i was actually thinking that the start of FJs must be nearby…just spotted it on googlemaps. that would make a good addition to a ride, but a bit cheeky seeing as i haven’t paid my fees for the year yet (not been for a while).

Bunnyhop

There’s a beautiful herd of ‘Beltex’ on the land by Mellor Church and hall. Sturdy, stocky things they are.

MartynS

*waves*

local too, NBT has shown me everything I know… If there is a trip out next week Tues or weds would be good……

Bunnyhop

NBT has shown me everything I know..

Waves back.

Don’t forget Martyn, I have shown you lots of little gems too 🙂

We’ve found little bits of stuff around Etherow, however it’s not worth going miles round for.

monksie
    Free Member

I collect my new bike on Tuesday fingers crossed and I don’t really do group rides but if I rode the same route as you lot at the same time, would that be alright do you think?

Also, we’re out there tomorrow morning. Is Smithy Rd up to much as opposed to Grid Lane as a climb?

stanley

Tues/Weds is good here!

BadlyWiredDog

Oooh, if you head on Tuesday, I might even come along. Do you mean Smithy Lane? Rubbly little bit of bridleway followed by steep tarmac. Nasty on a singlespeed, ok otherwise. Unexciting, but functional, though the off road bit is okay ridden at mach ten.

nbt

Is Smithy Rd up to much as opposed to Grid Lane as a climb

We normally do a loop – through Mellor Hall and Hollywood End, down the nice descent to Smithy Lane, up Smithy Lane (which is Tarmac) then down GIrd Lane and back to Hollywood End on the road. Does that answer your question?

Wednesday next week then? Where are you coming from, Peachos? Are you likely to ride down or drive? or even take a train?

nbt

We can make it Tuesday if that’s better for folks, I’m out at training on Monday night so a night off in between would be nice but not essential…

I’m talking an evening spin now, at the moment I’m getting home around 5.45 so would be about a 7pm start by the time I’ve had me tea 🙂

MartynS

Just had evening spin….!
    nice out isn’t it

Don’t forget Martyn, I have shown you lots of little gems too

I’ll never forget your little gems…
    Are we heading towards Tuesday evening then??

BadlyWiredDog

Tuesday’s good with me, I can’t make Wednesday next week, though normally it’s not a problem either way, but it would be nice to catch up and debate the virtues of local sheep.

Did realise they were cows this time btw, thought the already ugly sheep had simply grown a bit larger and even less beautiful.

MartynS

OK all…

Looks like Tues night is on

Peachos, where you coming from??

Monksie, I think I come past/near you.. I could follow you/ride near you at the same time.
    I’m thinking we meet outside the Ring ‘o bells pub @7…

monksie
    Free Member

No half wheeling Martyn 🙂

nbt

Ring o’Bels sounds good to me – well it would, wouldn’t it, being my local and all 🙂

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=The+Ring+O%27+Bells,+Church+Lane,+Marple,+Stockport&hl=en&sll=53.453782,-2.080164&sspn=0.009443,0.01929&t=h&z=16

They’ve a good sized carpark if anyone’s driving over, but if you park there I think it only fair we go in for a sociable beverage after the ride (they do great coffee and hot chocolate if you don’t want a beer)

BadlyWiredDog

Duly noted 🙂

sambob
    Free Member

Can i come too? Not been riding around here for more than a month 🙁

MartynS

if your at the ring o’ bells @7 your more than welcome sambob… just don’t make any of us look fat and middle aged….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Marple, New Mills, Mellor, Rowarth (etc) riders…’ is closed to new replies.