Viewing 6 posts - 121 through 126 (of 126 total)
  • Marketing – does it work on you?
  • DavidB
    Free Member

<opens coat and flashes emojis at emsz>

“Something for the weekend young lady?

stevextc
    Free Member

The advertisers (not marketers) are way ahead of you. They know that certain adverts will turn some people on and some people off. They also know that bad adverts still work. See the Cilit Bang ads. They worked.

Yes plenty of examples but I’m going back to the “Product” part of marketing where they get it so wrong they don’t sell the stock. (I forget the name but there is a name for this in publishing books) – but it applies to lots of packages…

I personally know this has influenced me but I can’t believe it was intended to work this way. I’m not talking about irredeemably bad products .. I’m talking about the ones that were actually pretty good but the “package” just wasn’t attractive, missed the mark or placement that I buy used because the resale value is so low.

For those who claim to actively NOT buy something because it’s got an additional campaign around it, what’s your reasoning? Genuinely interested to understand that.

If your referring to advertising then because it all costs money that the consumer funds. I guess an example is say Pepsi or Coca Cola pay for a Super Bowl add. Non of that makes either a better or worse product its just sunk millions (hundreds of) on placement.

A lot of advertising is increasingly misleading.(hence my opinion/preference gets based on that)..It’s hard to “ignore it” in terms of not changing an opinion and easier IMHO to be for or against than trying to say I saw it but it didn’t influence me.

Some is also just so bad or badly placed. For example sticking a 30 second ad you can’t skip in the middle of a GCN Turbo workout… Advertisers love saying phrases like there is no such thing as bad publicity … which I like to make true for them by making it GOOD publicity for their competitors.

If your talking marketing .. that’s a different reason for me.
    I’m all for the product that missed the mark or was misplaced.

Something where the engineers created something great that was messed up by marketing but buying used and with a bit of effort can be outback into what the engineers had intended.

An example works well on here is complete bikes… where the package misses the mark and resale value is way below near equivalents…

Junkyard
    Free Member

See the Cilit Bang ads. They worked.

In what way have they worked? I can name the product but have never bought the stuff.

I think overall marketing is less effective than the industry will accept and more effective so none of us can really claim to be totally free of its influences.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

<div class=”bbcode-quote” style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: transparent; color: #444444; font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’, Helvetica, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;”>

<p style=”padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: unset; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: transparent; line-height: 1.2em; margin: 1rem 0px !important;”>See the Cilit Bang ads. They worked.</p>

</div>
    <p style=”padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: transparent; line-height: 1.2em; color: #444444; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; margin: 1rem 0px !important;”>In what way have they worked? I can name the product but have never bought the stuff.</p>

*edit – ok I’m beaten into commenting submission.   Maybe later, biker8rs.  Life’s too short…

sbob
    Free Member

Apparently sometimes people stop breathing and they experience a sense of calm, peacefulness, unconditional love and a being of light at the end of a tunnel.

Like Bill Hicks, I can recommend this technique to anyone who works in advertising and marketing.

I do think I’m less affected by it than TJ though as I buy less.

I only really spend my money on booze and food, washing up liquid, if required, would be shoplifted.

johndoh
    Free Member

In what way have they worked? I can name the product but have never bought the stuff.

You don’t have to have bought it to say the marketing worked. You recognise the brand name – you might even know what sort of product it is (from a marketing point of view that is still a win in terms of brand recognition). Furthermore, some people *will* have bought it because the marketing worked on them enough for them to see it on a shelf in a supermarket and decide it’s the best product for them. Even the very very best marketing campaigns only grab a very small percentage of market share after all.

Viewing 6 posts - 121 through 126 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘Marketing – does it work on you?’ is closed to new replies.