Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)
  • Marketing – does it work on you?
  • Premier Icon 5plusn8
    Free Member

Following on from the Marketing Bollocks thread and this http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/brake-squeal-quit-whinging/ on brake squeal, featuring a video from Porsche.
    I feel like the worlds biggest sucker, but that porshce video makes me want to abandon my long held bangernomics philosophy and buy a flash car.
    Is anyone else a weak minded fool?

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

[canofworms]You need to ask TJagain about that one…[/canofworms]

Premier Icon hodgynd
    Free Member

Has been known…

Premier Icon njee20

Yeah I’m terrible for it. Will see a Burger King advert at 10pm and instantly want a burger.

Even writing that makes me want a burger.

Premier Icon timidwheeler

If it has the letters PSA at the start of it it seems to work on me 😁

Premier Icon djglover
    Free Member

Marketing works a lots of levels.  At its most basic, if you were unaware of the existence of supermarkets and their products you would be dead.  So you have become aware of these and have a preference for certain products.  So it is therefore certain that marketing has “worked” on you.

Premier Icon perchypanther
    Free Member

I want a burger.

Premier Icon plyphon
    Free Member

Great video. It absolutely makes me want a Porsche, but then again I wanted one anyway (Turbo S dreams).

Marketing absolutely does work on everyone – even those who claim marketing doesn’t work on them – you’re just a different type of target customer that different marketing works on.

I used to try and be the ‘Ah marketing doesn’t work on me at all’ type and then one day I sort of realised all the types of products I buy/aspire to own have all similar types of marketing/appeal. I’m just a different type of consumer. And that’s ok.

Premier Icon tjagain

To a very minimal extent ie brand recognition on occasion. location of shops.  thats about it.

i don’t buy new consumer goods, I purchase by ascertaining my needs and then establishing what meets those needs then I buy it.  I have never clicked thru on an ad on a webpage, I have never bought something because I have seen it advertised.  I have never bought new furniture, cutlery, crockery, pots and pans, curtains or any of the trappings of a consumerist lifestlye

I simply do not join in the consumerist game and contrary to what many on here think there is a whole load of folk like me out there

How can I be marketed to when I don’t buy new consumer goods and don’t aspire to ownthings.  Not materialistic at all

I promise not to turn this threadinto a 4000 post troll fest as I did the last one 😉

Premier Icon kelvin

I am very suggestible … I want a burger right now …

Premier Icon plyphon
    Free Member

I purchase by ascertaining my needs and then establishing what meets those needs then I buy it.

So, by looking at marketing materials? Marketing isn’t just adverts at bus stops…

there is a whole load of folk like me out there

Indeed, which goes back to what I just said – you’re just a different type of target market/consumer.

How can I be marketed to when I don’t buy new consumer goods and don’t aspire to ownthings.

Well how do you choose your second hand goods? Resale value is an important part of many brands marketing strategy (look at cars, ‘buy it for life’ items like Henry hoovers, Le creuset, etc). Secondary markets drive initial sales and uphold brand image. Targeting particular customer segments (IE: those who like their stuff to last a long time so it can be bought/sold 2nd hand) is equally part of a marketing strategy.

Marketing isn’t just cheesy adverts and jingles on the radio. It goes deeper into product strategy to identify who organisations want to aim their products at (which informs functionality/features).

You’re being marketed to. But that’s okay.

Premier Icon legend
    Free Member

I purchase by ascertaining my needs and then establishing what meets those needs then I buy it

Dont you ride a bloody BMW?

Premier Icon Tiger6791

Maybe it does

Maybe it doesn’t

Maybe it’s Maybeline?

Premier Icon Yak

All this burger talk. Hungry now. Had an amazing burger from the local pub recently.

Damn…. burgers

Premier Icon tjagain

I no longer have the BMW.   I bought it because it fitted my needs / criteria.

How do i chose my secondhand goods?  I go for a wander around the charity shops.  I have bought 3 properties complete with contents tho so never have bought much.  I don’t even look at the brands.  I usually buy on personal recommendation.  Bike parts?  Its years since I bought anything but consumables which come from the most convenient source.

I may be being marketed to but it has virtually no impact upon me.  But I know this is hard for those of you in the industry to understand.  Same as its hard for me to understand why people join the consumerist game.

Premier Icon legend
    Free Member

I may be being marketed to but it has virtually no impact upon me.  But I know this is hard for those of you in the industry to understand.

It seems like it might be you not understanding the impact of the, completely unavoidable, marketing you’re bombarded with from the moment you open your eyes in the morning.

I bought it because it fitted my needs / criteria.

So criteria = “wants” and you recognise that little BMW emblem yes?

Premier Icon slowoldman

We all are, that’s why they do it.

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

@plyphon – that is pretty much how the argument went last time.

It was a most amusing thread and TJ got to the stage where he said he’d refuse to buy a washing up liquid on offer (even if it made more financial sense) as he was so immune to marketing (IIRC).

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner

I too refuse to pander to our marketing overlords.

Because I’m worth it.

Premier Icon legend
    Free Member

It was a most amusing thread and TJ got to the stage where he said he’d refuse to buy a washing up liquid on offer (even if it made more financial sense) as he was so immune to marketing (IIRC).

lolz, I do love TJ’s willingness to take on the views of others 🙂

Premier Icon tomhoward

I have an EBike, gravel bike and fat bike.

I’m a marketing departments wet dream.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Free Member

Has TJ (or indeed the forum) figured out the difference between marketing and advertising yet?

Marketing is when BMW decided to make a motorbike that TJ would like, and pitched it at the right price point.

Advertising is taking out full page glossy ads trying to persuade you to buy said bike.

It’s perfectly possible to buy something based on rational criteria – I’m sure TJ does this and I try to do it.  However it’s NOT possible to buy something without being subject to marketing, because the products themselves exist because of marketing.  The price you pay – that’s determibed by marketing.

What you describe TJ is fine and admirable, but you are talking about *advertising*.  Although:

don’t aspire to ownthings

And yet you still do. Did it happen by accident? 🙂  You mean you don’t aspire to own stuff for the sake of it – fine, good, nor do I.  But one day you thought ‘I fancy a tandem’.  That’s aspiration.  Otherwise how did you end up owning one?

Premier Icon tjagain

I love the fact that you guys simply refuse to attempt to understand my position or how I live my life.  None so blind as those that cannot see.

Go on – give me an example of how I am affected by marketing and how it influences my decisions?

Premier Icon whitestone
    Free Member

Yes and no. Like tj I never click through on adverts on web pages, in fact I’d be hard pushed to say what any are actually advertising as I just skip over them. Similarly I’ll skip over “advertorials” in magazines. Rarely watch commercial TV, when I do I’ll skip the adverts.

During the last recession someone mentioned on another forum about a shop chain going into administration. I commented that I’d never heard of them with the response that they were a nationwide, well known “brand”. It turned out that I’d been in to one store and that I was wearing a pair of trousers I’d bought there! Some astute brand awareness there.

There are going to be brands that anyone in a Western society will know of: Apple; Microsoft; McDonald’s; etc. That doesn’t mean to say that they will ever be customers – I’ve been “inside” a McDonald’s just four times in my life for example and only ever eaten one Big Mac (one too many). The other international fast-food chains have seen even less of me. Their marketing obviously works.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Free Member

I love the fact that you guys simply refuse to attempt to understand my position or how I live my life.

No, we do understand.  I actually hate the fact that in this situation you are being thick as mince, and are unaware that we’ve acknowledged your point and are trying to point out something else.  You don’t realise this and are still arguing the original point.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Free Member

TJ do you understand that marketing and advertising are different concepts?

Premier Icon tjagain

Yes molgrips – I understand the two.  and no – you simply keep on trying to tell me I do things that I simply do not.  I am not being thick here.  there is a comprehension gulf.  It seems beyond many of you to understand a lifestyle like mine.

so give me an example of how marketing affects my decisions.  Brand recognition on occasion but not ver often.  Location of shops I’ll grant. Beyond that?

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

I am with @molgrips on this – and going back to the last epic thread, @tjagain even refused to accept that anything could sway him or make him perceive something differently (ie, typefaces, colour etc). I recall a clown and comic sans in an undertakers’ logo being used as an extreme example.

Premier Icon tjagain

<span style=”font-size: 12.8px;”> and are unaware that we’ve acknowledged your point and are trying to point out something else.  You don’t realise this and are still arguing the original point.</span>

In what way have you acknowledged my point and what is the other point yo are trying to make.  Explain in words of one syllable as I am obviously thick as mince 😉

How about give me an example of how marketing affected my decisions – other than of course if you consider the atttributes of something tobe marketing?

When buying something I decide what attributes it needs to have then buy something with those attributes

Premier Icon djglover
    Free Member

If you have bought any product in a supermarket you have been the subject of marketing.

The marketing department is made up of propositions development, branding and advertising. Propositions development take the raw products, eg washing up liquid and package them up for different demographics.  For TJ the basic own range perhaps.  This is all the work of marketing, and you are their target market.  Next is the branding, you will chose the basic packaging, cheaper product as you view it as a commodity.  The branding team develop the packaging with you as their target market in mind..

Perhaps the advertising doesn’t work, but you have been sucked in by 2/3rds of the marketing department every time you lift a product off the shelf.  Infact the advertising team is usually quite small, so probably more than 2/3rds 😀

Premier Icon slowster
    Free Member

I bought it because it fitted my needs / criteria.

How did you establish that it had the attributes that fitted your needs/criteria?

Premier Icon plyphon
    Free Member

@molgrips well said.

TJ – you said you bought two properties, right?

Well how did you decide to buy those properties? Dare I say… marketing? (Shop frontage, website, daily mail – all part of a marketing strategy)

Premier Icon jam bo

When buying something I decide what attributes it needs to have then buy something with those attributes

and what if two products have identical attributes.

Premier Icon 5plusn8
    Free Member

I did not know there was a difference between marketing and advertising. I think my question applies to both – am I allowed to change that now?
    I think if you think a product is of good quality – then you have been influenced by marketing/advertising, unless you are capable of designing that product.
    Ergo – If you are not a motorcycle design engineer with a a decent background in engineering and manufacturing quality, then choosing a BMW to fit your needs means that at some point you have believed what they told you that their product is superior to KTM’s or Honda’s.
    That is marketing/advertising then?

Premier Icon DezB

(Ignoring the tedious TJ bating and responses)… I’m not a big sucker for ads, but one got me the other day (not that I’ll ever actually buy the product) – the Audi S4 (or was it S6?) ad on TV.  I positively hate the sound of cars, people who like the brrrm brrm of engines are weird and just liking what they’re told to like, I reckon! But this ad showed a lovely looking car with all these clunks and brrms and noises and I thought ‘YEAH! Want!’

That’s about it for TV ads though. Online sales I’m a massive sucker for. I so wish I could float above it all like a lofty TJ-being.

Premier Icon stevextc
    Free Member

Do you understand that marketing and advertising are different concepts?

I’m not sure they are different concepts as opposed to different facets of the same thing.

Ultimately both are trying to get you to ‘buy’ something (sometimes that something might be free like a concept)
    ANYWAY….

Marketing absolutely does work on everyone – even those who claim marketing doesn’t work on them – you’re just a different type of target customer that different marketing works on.

I used to try and be the ‘Ah marketing doesn’t work on me at all’ type and then one day I sort of realised all the types of products I buy/aspire to own have all similar types of marketing/appeal. I’m just a different type of consumer. And that’s ok.

So MOST advertising has a negative effect on my “buying” so in the context of advertising vs marketing I’d say I have a pretty good correlation between how annoying, intrusive I find advertising and marketing of something.

I feel the most effective marketing/advertising is making me aware of a product or service I didn’t know existed but even then if it does so annoyingly I’ll cut off my nose to spite my face. I also work on a general rule that goods or services are overpriced by the amount spent on advertising.

I guess I too in marketing for say NetFlix…. however that was in my case triggered by Sky’s marketing and advertising. I ended up with Netflix basically due to a search for “what can I replace Sky with” (a bit over summarised but)

I also ended up with an Amazon box and prime for the same reason…

The marketing of Sky made me feel I wanted as little association with Sky as possible. (and I don’t mean just advertising)

What advertising I did find working is the “recommended for you” type advertising.
    Mainly this seems to work because it makes me aware of something I would have wanted to know about anyway and most often costs me no actual money.

There is a VERY long list of products and manufacturers I will avoid due to their advertising… but it amazes me that its done so crudely…
    Anything at the cinema I pretty much write off… its pissed me off before I even see the advert as I’m say here waiting for the film I paid to see. This is quite a conscious decision for me… but surely most people having been forced to sit through 30 mins of adverts would unconciously do the same?

Like wow I’m thirsty now…. but if Coca Cola just advertised I’m going to be looking for a product I’m sure isn’t made by them… which due to my ignorance probably stops me buying other products in case they own it.

In the same way I wouldn’t ever buy another PSA car…. (despite having owned several)… due to constantly getting ads I can’t dismiss when watching YouTube…
    Yeah I wasn’t looking to buy a car anyway and having 30 seconds interruption to the video on the Turbo’s goes beyond inconvenient… cripes I mightiest well jump off the bike and go and get a coke!

Premier Icon tomhoward

AIUI:

Marketing: getting the product to the market. Putting it in a place where someone will buy it. Deciding a price at which people will buy it at. Giving it features that people (the market) want.

if that market is one person, lets call him JTagain, a good marketing team will put that product in the shop at the end of his road, priced at less than all the competitors, with equal or more relevant features that JT wants.

A bad marketing team will try to sell JT a helmet through a shop in Mosul, for £3000.

Advertising: telling the market that the product exists, where they can buy it, what it does, how much it is etc. either overly with billboards and TV ads, or more subtly, sending cars for top gear to test, bikes to mags etc

Now, where can i get a burger?

Premier Icon bencooper
    Free Member

Go on – give me an example of how I am affected by marketing and how it influences my decisions?

I got you to buy a Rohloff off me 😀

I’m mostly immune to it, then occasionally I’m a complete sucker. There was an advert on here for the Parrot Disco fixed-wing drone – I’d never seen it before, never considered wanting a drone let alone a fixed wing one, but I bought it.

Premier Icon tjagain

Slowster

<span style=”font-size: 12.8px;”>”How did you establish that it had the attributes that fitted your needs/criteria?”</span>

I go and look at it 😉

djglover

<span style=”font-size: 12.8px;”> Next is the branding, you will chose the basic packaging, cheaper product as you view it as a commodity.  The branding team develop the packaging with you as their target market in mind..</span>

Nope – what I do is buy the product that comes closest to the attributes I want.  If no product does I don’t buy anything.  I don’t buy on price.  I buy on what it is.  The only thing on packaging is I prefer minimal packaging

Plyphon.  the first property was bought via a estate agent – but again I knew what i wanted, i waited until as suitable property ( on one of 3 streets) came up for sale and I bought it.  so the only bit of marketing was being aware it was for sale.

Second property I approached the owner and asked him to sell.  No marketing involvement at all in that.  None.

The BMW motorcycle – secondhand of course.  I had the money to buy a bike.  I knew the attributes I wanted.  shaft drive, upright riding position, ABS.  I went round all the motorcycle shops until I found a bike with those attributes and bought it.  the only marketing involvement is that there was a shop ( unless you consider the engineering attributes to be marketing)  what badge was on the tank was irrelevant to me.

Premier Icon ghostlymachine
    Free Member

TBH, i think the title is misleading to a degree.

Advertising “works” (or not) on people.

Marketing doesn’t work as such, it’s just giving a segment of the population for the advertising (and product) to actually target.

So to be unaffected by marketing is actually impossible, as someone somewhere has identified you as a “grumpy old git type 4” and designed a range of products around you. So when you search for criteria for buying products, they’ll make sure their product covers GOG Type 4 (as well as dozens of others).

If that makes sense.

Advertising, on the whole, bypasses me completely. The adverts i do get to see, usually have the opposite effect. As they are geared up around a different consumer type.

Dammit, too slow, three other people said the same thing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘Marketing – does it work on you?’ is closed to new replies.