• This topic has 65 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by muff.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Market trends/next big craze for 2011/12
  • muff
    Free Member

Morning folks

I have a job inerview coming up and this is going to be a vital question that i’m sure I will be asked my opinion on.

I have my own ideas but am keen to see what you knowledgable lot think the ‘next big thing’ will be in the cycling industry, be a road, mtb, touring, cyclo-x etc..

if you were going to invest in something? what would it be?

all responses would be much appreciated 😉

Muff

xiphon
    Free Member

more and more components being made from carbon… so things like carbon forks become mainstream (on road bikes), carbon posts, etc…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Belt driven 36er unicycles with 6″ travel and dropper posts.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ridethelakes
    Free Member

I think we’ve probably reached a plateau in terms of usefullness of new designs and products. Things like suspension, disc brakes and carbon have made massive leaps forward but I can’t see anything major in the next year or two that will transform our riding.

That said there is that much money in the industry that the manufacturers will keep telling us they have the next big thing but in reality most of us can do just as well without it.

allthegear
    Free Member

Toe clips & straps.

Rachel

chakaping
    Free Member

hub gears

warton
    Free Member

Belt drives and hub gears

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

A completely re-designed gearing system that allows electronic shifting:

* Micro-battery lightweight powered shifters that generate a digital signal
    * The digital signal is transmitted through the metal of the bike frame
    * Using pedaling forces to perform the actual shift so no need for a battery to power the shift; some sort of clutching needed

Get designing!

muff
    Free Member

what about in terms of trends? rather than just products. things like 29ers and the whole fixed gear thing. anything else brewing up?

jimjam
    Free Member

I would see a lot more people going 1×10, especially when Hope and DT release their 36/9 tooth cassette formats.

More companies releasing shorter travel bikes with more aggressive geometry, ie like the Whyte 146 stump jumper evo. Really though, nothing dramatic is gonna happen in 12 months.

Five years though…oh just imagine. Everyone on electric bikes, oh yes. Electric dh bikes and electric xc bikes and electric trikes.

crazy-legs

Products: electronic shifting will go mainstream in the next 5 years.
    Industry itself: sportives/mass participation events. I think it might be surprising, might find fewer events overall but better organised as the smaller events get sidelined/can’t compete with the Wiggle and Evans style rides.

surazal
    Free Member

+1 hub gears. I’d love to see the 11 speed Alfine come down in price and SRAM develop something similar to increase competition. Not sure it’ll happen though.

muff
    Free Member

hover bikes? 🙂

serisouly though, do you think there’s a market for electric off-road bikes? AM bikes? if manufacturers can make the motors lighter and discrete? or do you think these are stictly for fat people / hip-operation types?

Junkyard
    Free Member

reliable dropper posts that tarts think looks pretty
    Carbonbeinf used much more for off road bikes
    someone to do a good quiet non cup and cone rear free wheel that does not click it annoys the **** out of me – HOPE I MEAN YOU
    suspension BMX – that the think outside the box one 😉
    Twin cleated mtb shoes so you can pedal uphill correctly but move the foot for the downhiull and still be clipped in but have a more flatt type position

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

3 speed hubs – again

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

29’rs will become more main stream than niche, a wider range of 29rs available with the ‘big’ brands supporting them.

The 29r Anthem already is picking up some serious interest / lust.

muff
    Free Member

i totally agree 29ers are here to stay. i’m also interested to see how electronic shifting developes.

cheers for your imput guys. interesting ideas.

mrblobby
    Free Member

11 speed anyone…?

Whatever happened to that canyon 3 speed hub that promised to do away with front mechs?

Edit: that electronically controlled suspension thing that canondale had looked pretty nifty too. Think it was called simon, or something like that.

retro83
    Free Member

New tapered headset 2 inch bottom/1.5 inch top

Another new BB standard

New handlebar size to replace 31.8 which has become too common (and who doesn’t want stiffer handlebars?)

A new dropout width for the front. 17.5mm with 140mm spacing should do it.

1×11 gearing

TooTall
    Free Member

Given that one of the BIG brands is investing in a 29er demo fleet to educate their own dealers and staff, 2012 is a watershed year….

I think the new standard of belt drive will see popularity increase – much more user-friendly and practical. Hub gears to go with them too. All these improvements will see the improvement of the £300 bike and that, coupled with rising fuel prices, will see more non-cyclists riding bikes.

chriswilk
    Free Member

according to the threads on here – cross bikes with disks, pref hydro ones, and wide range hub gears

TheBrick
    Free Member

electric off-road bike

I seriously hope not.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Belt drive with hub gears. It is the future.*

*may or may not be true.

ericemel
    Free Member

Unicycle tandems

steve_b77
    Free Member

Belt drives and light reliable hub gears.

Also I can see the whole 29’er thing taking off properly too.

But as said above the general increase in people using bikes to commute to work and for general leisure activities like what happened around 100 years ago

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ericemel – Member

Unicycle tandems

Old hat

lovewookie

Autoshifting derailluers?

be nice to have an automatically variable gear hub, like the NuVinci, but lighter.

richcc
    Free Member

GPS controlled gears. Knows where you are and chooses the right gear automatically.

garybuckham
    Free Member

I think the next trend will be fat bikes like the Surly Pugsley. Over the next year more mainsteam bike manufacturers will add a fat bike to their range.

Gary
    http://www.pugsley-on-patrol.org.uk
    http://www.youtube.com/garybuckham

Belt drive.
    Light efficient hub gears at a sensible price with a wide spread of gears, but not necessarily a large number of gears.

finbar
    Free Member

Discs on road bikes by 2014, i reckon. If the UCI will allow it, but i think C-X sets a precedent.

clubber
    Free Member

29ers – they’re big in the US and consequently the big companies (such as Giant as suggested by TooTall) will be sure to make sure that’s what we want to buy and market it it as such (eg the mainstream mags will be saying that you have to have one if you want to be a better rider or even just a ride to the shops…).

D0NK

Retro you cynic!

Junkyard to be fair it’s not just hope, you hate DTs clicks too 🙂

Gary I reckon fat bikes are likely to remain niche, I reckon average rider would take the expense/complexity of suspension over the weight of fat wheels/tyres

Hub gears and belt drive sound interesting but have to improve a lot (cost, weight, reliability) whereas electronic shifting shouldn’t be a big deal to incorporate.

Uppy downy seatposts that aren’t heavy expensive and shonky would be nice.

tang
    Free Member

Drivetrain options are getting more specific with more options than ever. Electric stuff, shimano will surly do a di xtr version, road/cx discs and 29ers top of the list. I was talking with the manager at noahs yesterday who is well cautious of 29ers, saying that they have had a shocker of a winter and need to find the sales anywhere. ignoring the wagon wheels is missing out….the market is starting to push seriously with 29er development in design and parts, sure its US led, with something like 90% of the hardtails sold last year over there were 29ers (or so i read).

muff
    Free Member

Uppy downy seatposts that aren’t heavy expensive and shonky would be nice.

they would. costing less than a months rent would be good 😆

muff
    Free Member

with something like 90% of the hardtails sold last year over there were 29ers (or so i read).

WOOOAA really? that says a lot if that’s an accurate stat..

prahran
    Free Member

Your monthly rent is £240? Where do you live, Calcutta?

muff
    Free Member

yes it actually is… i live in sheffield 🙂 (that’s only my share of the rent though)

prahran
    Free Member

Well if that’s your half then that’s reasonable.

TooTall
    Free Member

such as Giant as suggested by TooTall

Nope – another big company – more special than Giant!

The non-cyclist has to be the growth area of the market – the entry level bike, the step up to something-I-can-do-a-sportive-on bike. There are far more bikes sold that the majority of the readers of this forum would ride – heavy, non-hydraulic etc. Look at the external factors – rising fuel prices have to be a factor.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Market trends/next big craze for 2011/12’ is closed to new replies.