Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Mark Knopfler: How does he compare?
  • fatbobb
    Free Member

That and the guy who played rhythm on a Tele behind who kept things moving along.

They had a tele on stage? Blimey, that must have been distracting, wot with all those adverts and everyting. Blimey, this halowwwen ale is strong.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It appears it is a required criteria according to Junkyard, who seems to consider himself at least a contemporary, of Knopfler, if not his superior.

Yes that was clearly what I said- foolish and childish point there.

Do you think a guitarist knows more about playing the guitar than a non guitarist? I have taken the controversial view that they do but hey you beat the straw man to death rather than what I said 🙄

I disagree that they can play each others styles and i am amazed a guitarist has said that. Do you think Bert could have gone on stage and done Knopflers set and vice versa. I dont

top 100 guitar players from rock n roll, rock and metal you’d have to say they’re all so technically competent they could mimic each others style if they really wanted to.

Really am surprised you think that if you play.

Russell96

Got pissed up with the band one night on the Brothers in Arms tour, lovely bunch apart from the fact that they didn’t buy a round. Got a free tee-shirt and CD out of it, oh and a good hangover.

jimjam
    Free Member

Junkyard

I disagree that they can play each others styles and i am amazed a guitarist has said that. Do you think Bert could have gone on stage and done Knopflers set and vice versa. I dont

Easily. I mean, give him time to learn the songs but jesus….easily.

Edukator
    Free Member

Here’s one of my favourite guitarists (really) mimicking Mark Knopfler (not) – Brad Paisley plays Walk of Life

What Brad normally plays

I try to maintain a repertoire of a dozen songs I can play to amuse friends (preferably after they’ve had a few drinks but I haven’t). I’ve posted this before but so you can judge how (un)qualified I am to comment here’s me abusing a classic (I’ll report the first person to point out I leave the A string buzzing when I do the picky bits to the moderators for abusive posting)

scotroutes

This one?
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjQ5G_4vYIQ[/video]

pedropete

Just listen to Knopflers album Privateering & then tell me the mans not got soul. For me, exquisite playing from the less is more style of guitar picking.

LS
    Free Member

I heard an interview with MK a few months ago where he talked about not really concentrating on his guitar playing that much, it was the songwriting he was most bothered about.
    When you listen to something as well crafted as Tunnel of Love, Telegraph Road or Sultans I guess that makes sense!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Easily. I mean, give him time to learn the songs but jesus….easily.

Then in that case there are no good guitarists there are only good composers as they can all copy each other exactly to be indistinguishable. Therefore the only thing that counts is what they can write/compose and not how they can perform it – as anyone can do that

I disagree.

I dont disagree that we can all learn somebody else songs but your argument was anyone in the top 100 can play anyone elses style. If that is the case why is number 1 better than number 100 when they can both play the exact same ?

molgrips
    Free Member

Always confused me that Sultans of Swing is not a swing track. And slightly annoyed me too. I mean I like the song but the lyrics jarr.

Fantombiker

I play but everyone who ever picked up a guitar is better than me. It’s pointless arguing who us better, it’s taste. To me MK songs were exceptional and the tone and feel of the guitar amazing. Every note he plays is melodic and contributes to the story. I think it was ZZTop who said its the notes you don’t play…..

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Yep, its all down to taste. I’d rather listen to Neil Young strangle a few notes than someone like Steve Vai play a million in the same length of time.
    Mark Knopfler is very good however you look at it though.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Always confused me that Sultans of Swing is not a swing track. And slightly annoyed me too. I mean I like the song but the lyrics jarr.

Think you need to give them a closer listen! 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Please explain!

Edukator
    Free Member

It’s about another band in a pub in London “A band is blowing Dixie double four time”. ” ‘We are the Sultans of Swing’ ” is in inverted commas in the lyrics so Knopfler is not singing about himself. Swing (I dance swing, and rock and roll) is danced to a 4/4 beat.

Edit to add the lyrics:

You get a shiver in the dark
    It’s raining in the park but meantime
    South of the river you stop and you hold everything
    A band is blowing Dixie double four time
    You feel alright when you hear that music ring

You step inside but you don’t see too many faces
    Coming in out of the rain to hear the jazz go down
    Too much competition too many other places
    But not too many horns can make that sound
    Way on down south way on down south London town

You check out Guitar George he knows all the chords
    Mind he’s strictly rhythm he doesn’t want to make it cry or sing
    And an old guitar is all he can afford
    When he gets up under the lights to play his thing

And Harry doesn’t mind if he doesn’t make the scene
    He’s got a daytime job he’s doing alright
    He can play honky tonk just like anything
    Saving it up for Friday night
    With the Sultans with the Sultans of Swing

And a crowd of young boys they’re fooling around in the corner
    Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles
    The don’t give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain’t what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans played Creole

And then the man he steps right up to the microphone
    And says at last just as the time bell rings
    ‘Thank you goodnight now it’s time to go home’
    And he makes it fast with one more thing
    ‘We are the Sultans of Swing’

neilthewheel

DS music was forced into the shape that fitted into the kind of venues that the band found themsekves playing. It wasn’t for the better, IMO. His guitar playing is best close up and in yer ear.

molgrips
    Free Member

I know it’s not about the band themselves, but still seems dissonant to sing about swing in a different style. That’s just me though I guess.

wheelie

Blimey, reminds me of readers letters in Melody Maker in the 1960’s!

outofbreath
    Free Member

I know nothing about music beyond enjoying other people making it, however shouldn’t Richard Thompson be on a list of virtuoso guitarists?

stevomcd
    Free Member

I know it’s not about the band themselves, but still seems dissonant to sing about swing in a different style. That’s just me though I guess.

It’s like most Dire Straits songs, it tells a story. In this case, about a part-time jazz band trying to keep going while rock and roll takes over. Never found that weird.

Knopfler does have some jazz influence in his playing, pretty sure he has some strong sympathies with the Sultans…

Edukator
    Free Member

Rock and roll took over in the fifties but (Oxford) baggy brown trousers and platform soles were around in the seventies when Knopfler wrote the song.

Rock and roll was still popular in the seventies with many bands writing their own rock and roll style songs or covering others. Led Zep did “bin a long time since a rock ‘n’ roll”, Slade “Keep on Rockin”, Gary… best stop there.

warns74
    Free Member

Cant play a note myself but caught this on Sky the other night and enjoyed it. Comes across as a very down to earth guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27OT_FSWrIE

nickc

Comparing something as subjective as music always seemed a bit pointless to me.

If a particular guitarist (or any musical instrument) has a style you like, then great, but trying to compare that misses the point IMO

brassneck

Even the likes of Clapton was shocked by his abilities

Check out Eric in the audience of Albert Lee playing Country Boy:

Chas’n’Dave Xmas Special

AFAIK he used to play in Eric’s band though so he knew full well how good he was, albeit different.

Edukator
    Free Member

Albert Lee is using hybrid picking there, a pick and the fingers. James Burton popularised that playing “chicken pickin'”with early rock and rollers. Billy Gibbons does it too though both Knopfler and Gibbons often do without the pick and use the thumb.

James Burton

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s like most Dire Straits songs, it tells a story. In this case, about a part-time jazz band trying to keep going while rock and roll takes over.

This is the kind of discussion I enjoy much more than technical comparison 🙂

failedengineer

Does no-one think that Mark Knopfler was influenced by Richard Thompson? Why doesn’t RT get a mention with some of the other ‘greats?’
    Martin Simpson also springs to mind.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I reckon Richard Thompson is pretty well recognised as a great guitarist, but pretty much just amongst the folk (folk/rock) fraternity and people who are into music a bit more deeply than the general public.

Edukator
    Free Member

As Knopfler and Thompson are the same age they were probably influenced by those that they listened to in their youth rather than each other. I tried to think of a Thomson riff and couldn’t. Thompson has an interesting celtic sound and does what he does very well but many others do the celtic stuff that has stuck in my head while Thompson’s hasn’t. Andy Irvine for example.

failedengineer

I think that’s been one of Richard Thompson’s problems – he seems to be thought of as a folkie by most people, yet he’s really a rock musician who does some folk stuff. Fairport Convention started as a rock band. But regarding songs with ‘story’ lyrics, surely he’s unmatched?

outofbreath
    Free Member

I think that’s been one of Richard Thompson’s problems – he seems to be thought of as a folkie by most people, yet he’s really a rock musician who does some folk stuff.

Last time I was at an RT gig he asked the Audience for requests with the words “Choose a genre’.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

These are interesting. Don’t know where 1/3 is though.

[video]https://youtu.be/kMPSFxUpPGM[/video]
    [video]https://youtu.be/kMPSFxUpPGM[/video]

RustySpanner

Edukator, I can’t believe you’re struggling for a RT riff.

I’m sure there are hitherto unknown Amazonian tribes who all get pissed and sing maudlin versions of ‘Meet on the Ledge’.
    And I know that all beard wearers are legally required to know all the words of ‘Matty Groves’ by heart.

outofbreath
    Free Member

1952 Vincent BLack Lightening is a pretty memorable RT riff:

Edukator
    Free Member

Sorry.

*starts shaving*

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Douglas Adams had something to say about MK’s playing.

http://h2g2.com/edited_entry/A311031/conversation/view/F38761/T56266/page/1/

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Mark Knopfler: How does he compare?’ is closed to new replies.