Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • Mark "Chopper" Read has died
  • warton
    Free Member

Any of you muppets who buy/watch/read or in anyway subscribe to this sh1te don’t ever come on here moaning your bike’s been nicked.

I’m confused now. so if I watch a film about a gangster, say goodfellas, i can’t complain if my bike gets nicked?

If I watch a film about a murderer, can I complain if i get murdered?

maybe the police could adopt this approach. “sorry son, you can’t report your bike stolen, there’s clearly a copy of the krays on your bookshelf”

loddrik
    Free Member

Well, I’m 44 and from one of the roughest parts of Manchester.
    I knew quite a few people who thought that way.
    Many of them grew up to be drug dealing, thieving scum like the people they admired.
    Stealing from their own, polluting the environment, contributing nothing.
    The rest of us were taught right from wrong and tried to behave accordingly.
    Didn’t always succeed, because it was tougher than the alternative, but at least we tried, eh?

And what. Doesn’t change the face that criminals and gangsters are the role models of choice for most poor urban kids, that’ll never change. Regardless of their backgrounds. Be they from the ‘toughest’ (sniggers…) parts of a city or not.

I was taught right from wrong, came from a good family but I chose a criminal career for a long time, I looked up to people for whatever reason. Didn’t make me a bad person and I still, believe it or not, had pretty strong morals. Kids changed me and my outlook and I went back and got a good education, or I may very well still be following that path. I’m sure much much poorer nowadays though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The person who wrote this:

not sure you could class Drug dealers an ‘innocent’

Clearly didn’t think it through. It’s not an illegal drug micro encomy opperating in isolation, the users seteal stuff to swap for money then drugs, which get traded up/down the chain so some “proper old fashioned gangster like Britain used to make when we were great”. They’re rich becasue your house got burgled, several middle men lost their mental capacities to drugs and contracted HIV from the parifinelia, the dealers shot each other up over turf and society as a whole suffered.

Or to put it bluntly………

Any of you muppets who buy/watch/read or in anyway subscribe to this sh1te don’t ever come on here moaning your bike’s been nicked.

piemonster

Umm, no. You’ll be murdered.

atlaz
    Free Member

I was taught right from wrong, came from a good family but I chose a criminal career for a long time, I looked up to people for whatever reason. Didn’t make me a bad person and I still, believe it or not, had pretty strong morals.

However you ended up being now, it did make you a bad person then. Clearly your morals were a bit wonky too if you think being a criminal is somehow compatible with strong morals. I assume SOME morals were strong but others were absent/reduced?

DezB
    Free Member

Umm, no. You’ll be murdered.

Such pedantry

MrSmith
    Free Member

I’m confused now. so if I watch a film about a gangster, say goodfellas, i can’t complain if my bike gets nicked?

maybe you are thinking too much.

piemonster

Such pedantry

I was feeling left out.

zilog6128

I’m sure much much poorer nowadays though.

Look on the bright side, you haven’t been banged up or murdered horribly by criminal associates, so not all bad!

The film is well worth a watch if you haven’t seen it. Eric Bana’s performance is outstanding. Based on that film he’s a great actor its a shame he doesn’t seem to have been in a role he’s been able to get his teeth into in the same way since.

I thought he was great in Munich too.

dabble
    Free Member

whinge, whinge, fackin whinge!

RustySpanner

loddrik – Member
    And what. Doesn’t change the face that criminals and gangsters are the role models of choice for most poor urban kids, that’ll never change. Regardless of their backgrounds. Be they from the ‘toughest’ (sniggers…) parts of a city or not.

Really?
    Why do you think that is?
    Surely family influence has more to do with the choice of role models than external media pressure?

And I didn’t say ‘toughest’. I said ‘roughest’.
    Perhaps ‘poorest’ wouldn’t have offended your pride quite as much?

I was taught right from wrong, came from a good family but I chose a criminal career for a long time, I looked up to people for whatever reason. Didn’t make me a bad person and I still, believe it or not, had pretty strong morals.

Depends on your definition of ‘bad person’ really doesn’t it?
    I don’t know what you did and I’m not bothered. But, your choice, as you say.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I was taught right from wrong, came from a good family but I chose a criminal career for a long time, I looked up to people for whatever reason. Didn’t make me a bad person

erm, yes it did. If you chose a criminal “career” then I would suggest that you were a bad person.

loddrik
    Free Member

Depends on your definition of what a bad person I guess. I will accept that my morals were ‘selectively’ good though rather than good. It’s been 7 years since I changed my life so I can safely consign that part of my life to the history books.

As for Chopper Reid, I’d love to know what was fact from fiction, just as with Richard Kuklinski, there’s no doubt that huge amounts of nefarious deeds were commited, but probably no where near as much as claimed. And just as with Kuklinski, we’ll probably never know.

Lifer
    Free Member

Hi is this the right place for the pissing contest?

RustySpanner

Which pissing contest is that then?

scruff
    Free Member

Is it OK if you use drugs but pay for them with money earned through standard 9-5 working?

piemonster

Hi is this the right place for the pissing contest?

I managed to wee on my shoes

MrSmith
    Free Member

Is it OK if you use drugs but pay for them with money earned through standard 9-5 working?

best ask your mum

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

lots of column inches when Ronnie Biggs died but what about Jack Mills the train driver

I was a bit surprised when I read that so I checked, and as far as I can figure out Ronnie Biggs is still alive.

I reckon reports of his death have been greatly exaggerated, how ever many column inches have been devoted to it.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Maybe it was wishful thinking 🙄
    The other non-crim involved David Whitby was fairly traumatised after the event and died 9 years after the robbery aged just 34.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Ronnie Biggs

Junkyard
    Free Member

Awesome trolling

you just can’t think hard enough to understand can you

I am not sure it requires much hard thinking to see a difference between nelson Mandela and chopper.

No one is this stupid they cannot see the difference.

yunki
    Free Member

Neville flamin’ Bartoss

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

I didn’t know who Mark Read was, had to google it. 😳

However, I am intrigued as to what criminal activities are available for a good person, as they are likely to be lucrative and I’m all for a bit of extra cash if it’s morally defensible and hurts no-one.

convert

However, I am intrigued as to what criminal activities are available for a good person, as they are likely to be lucrative and I’m all for a bit of extra cash if it’s morally defensible and hurts no-one.

You never watched Hustle? We were meant to think they were ‘good people’. As a bonus you get to knock around with Jaime Murray which is never a bad thing.

nealglover
    Free Member

Mr Smith.
    I’m not defending the train robbers, but it does sound a bit like you are blaming them for two deaths, that happened years after the event, one died of leukaemia six years later, and the other of a heart attack nine years later.

They are hardly connected are they ?

MrSmith
    Free Member

I’m not, it’s more about the column inches/public perception.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I they the broader point [ poorly expressed] is the driver never fully recovered and these lovable roques were amoral crims who should not be held up as some sort of folk heroes.

shermer75
    Free Member

He was good in that film

CountZero

when we were growing up

You’ve grown up?

loddrik
    Free Member

Didn’t say I’d finished doing so..

MrSmith
    Free Member

Good luck with that.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Haha there are some cracking wannabe gangsters on here aren’t there!

A question loddrick…..what evidence have you got that these gangster types are role models for youths that grow up in deprived areas?

I only ask as I have been teaching in schools that are in very deprived inner city areas for almost 10 years and also grew up in a pretty poor area myself. I’m not denying that some kids grow up wanting to emulate the local drug dealers etc, but I can state pretty categorically that they are an extremely small minority. Just because you grew up with selective good morals doesn’t mean that others do.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

loddrik
    Free Member

Not where I’m from it isn’t. Maybe it’s because this is the poorest city in the UK with the highest unemployment and, coincidentally, the greatest propotion of ‘high level’ criminals etc and criminality so it is just accepted. Can’t comment on where you teach, but I can say its like that for kids in large swathes of this city, and it was probably worse in the late ’80s and early ’90s when poverty and unemployment was far worse than it is now. Though people started to get rich quick on the back of the rave scene and the huge increase in recreational drugs.

Junkyard
    Free Member

But dont criticise Liverpool or he will have a go at you

Ps nottingham is the poorest and Glasgow has the most unemployed

the greatest propotion of ‘high level’ criminals

Thats too vague to test against reality.

loddrik
    Free Member

Nottingham is nowhere near, liverpool has been most deprived for decades now.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/mar/29/indices-multiple-deprivation-poverty-england

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/6871/1871208.pdf

Thats too vague to test against reality.

There has been enough written and studies done on the national and international impact of liverpool criminal networks, and frankly this isn’t a justification of Uk criminal league tables, but it explains why people look up to criminals rather than the working man.

And yes, Liverpool has it’s social problems but I’ll defend it to the hilt.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Your defence seems to consist of arguing its the poorest most unemployed criminal area of the UK…what would you say if you did not like it 😉

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22623964

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/glasgow-most-unemployed-households-uk-2251237
    you are second to be fair.

Forgive me for using 2013 figures.
    You may well be correct if it was 2010

Enough anyway it is certainly amongst the poorest and most deprived areas of the UK.

piemonster

Darn it, I was certain he was from Norwich.

I’d have put money on it.

loddrik
    Free Member

It’s easy to find anything to support a race to the bottom on the internet….

http://money.aol.co.uk/2013/01/07/revealed-the-most-deprived-area-in-england/

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Mark "Chopper" Read has died’ is closed to new replies.