Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Mark Beaumont's average speed?
  • rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Bloke at work wants to know. Ain’t got time to work it out.

steve_b77
    Free Member

1 world in 79 days?

iainc

He has been doing around 220 miles a day and riding for 18-20 hrs.

monkeyboyjc

About 15mph, but that includes stops for food, toilet etc.
    240miles a day average and 16hrs a day ‘on the bike’

STATO
    Free Member
    fifeandy
    Free Member

Very interesting looking on Strava, he’s obviously been keeping power VERY low, at a guess to minimise energy wasted on wind resistance.
    Taken a look at 6-7 days, and all under 100W ave.

barrykellett
    Free Member

How many watts are you doing for 16h on the power curve Andy?
    🙂

theotherjonv

About 15mph, but that includes stops for food, toilet etc.
    240miles a day average and 16hrs a day ‘on the bike’

I did 100km on the road on my own yesterday at 15.1mph and was very pleased with myself

Now going to sit and think for a bit about how crap I really am.

fifeandy
    Free Member

How many watts are you doing for 16h on the power curve Andy?

Considerably more than 100W
    The difference is, i’d be gubbed after a 16hr day, and Mark can clearly keep it going day after day.

Like I said, it looks like an interesting strategy he’s used. He’s clearly a machine, so could have been riding much harder had he chosen to do so.

antigee

Think Mark talked about headwinds and just accepting lower speeds so could ride the next day

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It is an awesome feat for sure, but riding a bike for 8 -10 hours a day rather than sat at a desk hammering a computer keyboard under some illusion I’m actually doing anything that is affecting anything, would be a significant step towards getting the required fitness for such an endeavour. That and not chucking ten pints of beer down my throat every weekend.

I really admire people with the courage and conviction to stick two fingers up at the conventional life and carve their own path.

STATO
    Free Member

He has a very methodical mindset. He worked out how he could do this record and trained to do it. He knows that he can do 15mph day-in day-out. Even on quite easy stretches you can see he doesnt oush up the pace, just settles in. Quite amazing. As he himself has said, you can imagine his smashing the supported record will spur some amazing attempts over the next few years. Imagine if a pro cyclist did it, 20mph av over the same time per day, round the world in 60 days!

dovebiker

He’s also broken the Guinness World Record for the most miles cycled in a month. Apart from a couple of incidents, I think his good-planning and teamwork has yielded dividends – will be interesting to see if anyone take-on the challenge but he’ll have been the first. Looking forward to seeing the TV programme in due course

fifeandy
    Free Member

As he himself has said, you can imagine his smashing the supported record will spur some amazing attempts over the next few years. Imagine if a pro cyclist did it

What’s Spartacus up to these days?!

scud
    Free Member

I can imagine the Jens Voight “Shut up legs world tour!”

ransos
    Free Member

Imagine if a pro cyclist did it, 20mph av over the same time per day, round the world in 60 days!

I suspect the ability to break the record is a mental thing as much as anything else.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Imagine if a pro cyclist did it, 20mph av over the same time per day, round the world in 60 days!

A pro cyclist trains to ride a 1 week – 3 week race, possibly 1000 miles? Riding around the world takes slightly longer, and more miles so, I reckon your ‘pro’ might actually burn out doing 20+ mph.

STATO
    Free Member

I suspect the ability to break the record is a mental thing as much as anything else.

Totally, not many people up to that and also have the ability to do the teamwork thing so well, thats another big part of it, just trusting your team.

I can imagine the Jens Voight “Shut up legs world tour!”

Holy hell that would be epic!

ransos
    Free Member

Totally, not many people up to that and also have the ability to do the teamwork thing so well, thats another big part of it, just trusting your team.

I was thinking of people like Mark, Steve Abraham and Amanda Coker. None of them are elite athletes, yet they are able to churn our 200+ miles day after day. I can’t begin to imagine the mental discipline needed to do that.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Mark Beaumont's average speed?’ is closed to new replies.