Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Mark Beaumont Tour – Thoroughly Recommended
  • hitman
    Free Member

Just been to see Mark Beaumont talk about his round the world trip and travel across the Americas. Fascinating insight into the whole experience, some great pics, stories and insights into both adventures. He is an engaging speaker and came across as a thoroughly nice guy, albeit one who is incredibly determined in the face of some almost impossible challenges – cycled for a month into an incredibly strong headwind at one stage(forget now how strong he said it was, but at one stage 100km/hour). If you get the chance to see him on his UK tour then go, but be quick as tonight was sold out.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I found the first series really compelling. I don't know how he does it. I'd be interested if it came this way (north wales)

hitman
    Free Member

here's his tour dates, but not sure if there's any in North Wales:

http://www.speakersfromtheedge.com/events/mark-beaumont-tour-man-who-cycled-world

younggeoff

ASw him last night at the Customs House in South Shields, a really excellent night, great stories and answers to questions we raised whilst watching the TV program, completely unassuming guy too.

hughjengin
    Free Member

I'd be interested if it came this way (north wales)

I think hes in Rhyl next week, was thinking of going with a group from our bike club

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I saw him in Camberley last night, really enjoyed his talk, it was great hearing the extra bits about how he had to film for tv too, even more respect for him.

Had a quick chat with him before the show too …very nice unassuming guy seemed quite happy to pass the time of day.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Excellent to hear this. I was bought a ticket to see him in Skegness tomorrow for my birthday.
    Am looking forward to it.

BigJohn

We're off to see him on Saturday in Stafford.

Normally Mrs BigJohn & I are the only people who ride our bikes into Stafford for a night out. I get the feeling the bike racks outside the Gatehouse Theatre will be full that night.

And Saturday co-incides with the end of my 7th week of riding at least an hour a day.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

We were at the venue about 45 mins before he was due to start talking (because there is a bar in the foyer) and Mark was in the reception area happily chatting as well as signing books & selling shirts etc (or his mum was doing the selling), so if you are kicking around early its worth dropping by

MisterT

btw – how long is the evening? I'd like to go, but have an early start the next day and a long drive back from the evening venue, so just wondered if it's a 7:30 to 11 sort of thing?

tommid
    Free Member

I hate that guy. I find him very dull and uninspiring. It may be partly that I am jealous that I don't get to cycle in exotic places.

Blackhound

Off to see him on Friday in Derby – sounds like it will be an enjoyable evening.

sambob
    Free Member

we went to see him in Buxton. i thought it was fairly amazing, but i was surprised he didn't talk about the bikes a bit more.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

tommid, I didnt phrase it exactly like that but did say that the documentries showed him complaining a fair bit … he agreed & said that for the round the world he had no input about the editing & they did it showing max impact … ie when he was suffering most. He also said that he wrote every word of the book & he felt it portrayed what actually happened better. His first hour was a lot like the book & helped flesh out his experiences.

The talk was 19.30 – 20.30, then 30 mins interval. Then 21.00 – 22.00.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Just finished reading the book, not award winning material, but enough for me to sit and read it over the space of a couple of days. Jealous that he has managed/planned his life to mean such tours are part & parcel of his life, can't blame the guy for having off days & moaning sometimes, I'm sure I woould as well!

Even MrsMFL became a fan when the North-south america tour was on the beeb the other month.

legspin
    Free Member

Looking forward to Friday in Derby to.

Blower
    Free Member

So thje book not that good then?

would like to see him sounds good.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

went to see him a few weeks ago in malvern (hes alot taller than you think!) great speaker, slightly nervey edge to him. great 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

Frikkin noob isnae dain' Scotland!

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Get the book when you are there (like I didnt) & you can have a signed copy.

I enjoyed the book, it is a book writen by an adventurer rather than a writer who has done an adventure, but no worse for that.

Haribo
    Free Member

cynical-al – isnt stirling in scotland 🙄 you missed out.

I went to see him in the packed (no ventilation) albert halls. TBH the second half chat on filming could have been shortened by about 20mins and replaced with a chat about the bike he has spent so long on.

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

he's doing a talk at Dundee Uni on the 27th.. (I'm not sure if it's open to non-students though)

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

miawing_kat – the one he did at st andrews last year was open to the public. if not, i may stillpop along anyway, as if st andrews students can get into your union, then i'm sure we can get in a guest lecture… 🙂

Dickyboy

Got vip tickets to see him a week tomorrow, yeh 😀

scruff
    Free Member

I got tickets for Saturday.

BigJohn

Don't nick my parking space.

tang
    Free Member

mm just had an invite from an old friend on facebook to the weston one. problem is she is a BA air stewardess and im married. hope her husband is going otherwise i wont make it!

hitman
    Free Member

what was ironic was that when I went to see him, I phoned the venue and asked if there was a bike rack available to park my bike….they seemed quite embarrassed by my request 🙂

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

saw him in Epsom last Thursday.

Very humble guy but hugely interesting to listen to and very, very driven and focused on what he wants to do.

Really glad I went.

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

So it's safe to say it's worth the fiver then? might have to go..

allthepies
    Free Member

Was £13 at Camberley, good evening though.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I haven't seen the talk, but really like the book, Bought it sat and i'm just over two thirds through and thats the most reading i've done in a long time. Think it was £7.99 at waterstones so well worth the money.

STATO
    Free Member

Saw him in South-Shields last week, really enjoyable if you like hearing about travel and adventure. I dont think every show is exactly the same as he is refining his style as he gets more practice but content is generally same i think. Best thing (if your buying a book to get signed) is they sell the books normal prices rather than hugely inflated. Also, he has RTW cycle tops for sale too i think, wish id realised at time as i would have got one of those instead of a book (already had it and forgot to take it)

Innes
    Free Member

I saw him in Inverness and he was really good, very generous with his time, and a really nice Guy.

I am reading the book now, he was happy to sign it, and seemed really happy that people are giving him such a good reception on the tour.

NikNak7890
    Free Member

Balls!

I've only just seen this, and missed Epsom, 10 minutes from home!! 😡

mAx_hEadSet

He's on in Rhyl North Wales this week

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Mark Beaumont Tour – Thoroughly Recommended’ is closed to new replies.