• This topic has 251 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by paton.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 252 total)
  • Marino custom frame – some progress!
  • seventy

I find it totally bizarre that people are happy to send a decent chunk of cash out for something before checking that they can even communicate with the vendor. I’d want to make sure I had a phone number and that they’d at least answer it if I called them. I think things taking a long time to be built and arrive is fine (I’ve been there as a struggling supplier) as long as the communication is good.

The idea that there is a box with some frames in it somewhere and one might be yours, but it’s ok because some bloke called Luke that you chat to on Facebook every couple of weeks says it’ll probably be fine…

asbrooks

I had a reply from Luke this morning confirming that the backlogs are big but frames are still getting through. He has advised me to hold off ordering until January, saying that delivery should be back to 8-10 weeks.

joebristol

Given the current situation I wouldn’t be ordering a Marino right now tbh. If I’d known it would be like this with the communication I possibly wouldn’t have ordered it. I may have stumped up for a Curtis instead as at least you can ring them and they’re not a million miles away. But that would probably have meant lower spec wheels and fork so if this does come through I should have a better handling bike.

joebristol

I’m turning into a right skeptic.

Got a reply to say they’re on way – will be here this week or next week. Then waiting to see if they fly from Heathrow to Newcastle or go by road.

They’re meant to be going from Peru to Heathrow by plane and I wasn’t aware that flight was a week long 🤷‍♂️

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

They have said to me that delivery can take 5 weeks

pimpingimp
    Free Member

I ordered mine last Monday and it was in stock in the uk, I was told on Saturday that it was sorted Thursday and would be with me today, just received my tracking from Luke to see the courier was organised Saturday, booked yesterday and the frame was picked up today.

I’m not super fussed because it’ll still be here this week but if you can’t get a delivery within a week and a half from a uk based frame I wouldn’t be holding out hope for a 2020 frame that might either be in Peru, or an airport, or an aeroplane…

dc1988

I only ever communicated directly with Marino, I paid a deposit for him to start building having already agreed on the build spec. Once it was built (during which I got a lot of photos showing the process) I paid the balance and it was shipped.

Worth noting that I paid around $100 shipping and it came on its own, not in a larger shipment. I paid around £450 in total with no extras so if people are paying less than that now then it’s down to reduced shipping costs but will likely slow the shipping down as well.

joebristol

I originally ordered direct from Marino too and there was a $110 shipping charge. It then got taken over by Luke and to be fair nothing had happened for a few months by then. They’ve now changed it so they aren’t individually shipping frames anymore to make it more efficient in batches and cheaper on shipping costs.

pimpingimp
    Free Member

Mine arrived at lunch time, headset, bars, stem, forks & wheels already fitted.

If you lot have anywhere near the sort of quality of this one I think you’ll be really pleased, very clean welds, good powdercoating/paint, I’ve got sliding dropouts that went in first time and the axle went straight through with no fiddly alignment.
    Well worth the cash. It feels heavy when bare, and yet when it’s got the components on that it does (inc 170mm Yari’s) it doesn’t feel heavy at all.

Only waiting on my brakes to arrive and I need to order a a saddle but it looks like I might get an Xmas ride in!

joebristol

Yours was a U.K. stock one rather than custom order from Marino – is it a hardtail or fs you’ve got a 170mm Yari on? Sounds quite hardcore either way – you should stick some photos up!

I clutching at straws I may see the frame in the next few weeks – but it does sound like it’s going to at least hit the U.K. prior to Brexit which can only be a good thing.

pimpingimp
    Free Member

Yup, UK stock and it still took 12 days to arrive – so good luck with yours (everyone on here)

It’s a hardtail and it’s incredible, forks will be dropped to 150 or 160 when I get around to it but I’ll give it a bash at 170 to see how stupid it is first.

Photos will follow as I had 20 mins spare earlier so fitted forks and wheels but I should pick most other components up from the office in the morning.

singlespeedstu

I’ve been staying away from posting on this thread for a couple of different reasons until now.

But Luke has assured me the frames are on their way.
    Copy and past from an email yesterday evening.

the frames left Marino Peru last week and I’m waiting for forward tracking. Being flown Air Canada from Peru. The batch was passed to the freight broker and a schedule of shipping built by them as per all batches that leave Peru

Hope everyone gets their frames soon.

joebristol

That’s more information than I got – sounds more positive then I thought!

Itching to get building it up now – I’ve rebuilt / serviced my Oneup dropper, changed the code r lever my mate bent crashing my bike and have even filled the new tyres with Stan’s so they’re literally all ready to go.

singlespeedstu

Copy and paste from latest email.
    Looks promising for everyone.

Evening Stu

I’ve just received the forward tracking for the batch.

Arriving in Newcastle at 9am Monday 21st – I am calling the customs agent we use tomorrow as a priority, need to action a same day release so I can repack and send ASAP.

Best regards

Luke

joebristol

That’s exactly the message I got too – word for word. Will still be amazed if it finds it’s way from Newcastle to Bristol before Christmas!

singlespeedstu

Have you changed your name to Stu?
    😜

joebristol

Ok picky picky, he changed the name at the top – but literally that’s the only change!

marksnook
    Free Member

Yeah I’m that copy and paste as well!
    I really need to get some components ordered so I can build it

justaname
    Free Member

Add me to the copy and paste list too, I got the same email 🙂

Be a lovely surprise if it does arrive before Christmas, but at least it seems they are in the country so that’s a big step forwards.

dethbeard
    Free Member

I received the following at 1330 on Monday

Good afternoon,
    We had confirmation yesterday that the frames were in London, awaiting forward travel to Newcastle for us to clear customs and collect.
    I instructed our customs agent this morning, they have visibility of the batch and are now in the process of clearing the batch ASAP – they advised that the transport out of London has been made less frequent due to their Tier 4 status so the frames weren’t with them at 9am this morning, so clearance and release wasn’t possible for today.
    They have advised that I will be able to collect them tomorrow (Tuesday 22nd)
    Our courier has confirmed if I schedule shipments before midnight tonight, they will be collected 23rd and delivered 24th.

Please can you outline the delivery address for your frame asap so I can book the forward shipping.

Best regards
    Luke

We shall see, potentially a Christmas for me though!

joebristol

Fingers crossed – all seems quite tight on timescales in a time when couriers abs postal services are under a lot of pressure – but we’ll see!

pimpingimp
    Free Member

Best of luck guys! Mine came with APC/Paisley Freight and even though it was a 1 day service it missed its terminal between pick up and delivery so was a 48 hour turnaround. Hope you don’t get that issue!
    Enjoy your frames, I think you’ll love them.

joebristol

Hoping it does arrive Christmas Eve – now the Christmas bubbles are only 1 day I’ve got some free time. Would be partially building it up completely raw just to check everything is straight / fits as it should – before then sending it off in January to be painted 😃

singlespeedstu

My frame will be on it’s way to me today for delivery tomorrow.
    Tracking number later today.

marksnook
    Free Member

Yeah mine is on the way as well, wonder if the wife will guess what it is 😂
    Missing bars, cassette, chain and seat post still though

dethbeard
    Free Member

I also received the same email in the early hours of the morning.

Hopefully tomorrow, then I can get building next week (although I do not have a seat post yet, I think I might have one that fits in the garage)

joebristol

Sounds like Luke worked a late one last night – text was at 2.29am. Fair play to him for getting everything packed ready to go until that time. Fingers crossed the courier does pickup today and manages to deliver tomorrow as they’ve told Luke 🤞

stumpy01

I hope we’re gonna get some piccies when these frames turn up!? I’ve been lurking on this thread for ages & it would be nice to see the finished articles!! 🙂

joebristol

Maybe we should start a finished / delivered Marino thread once they’re arrived / been built up.

Mines the raw one pictured on the first page of this thread – I’m going to do a trial build when it arrives, then strip and send it for painting. Not sure how long that’s going to take – it’s local but depends how busy the guy is. He had it pencilled in to paint in Nov, then Dec etc etc

singlespeedstu

I hope we’re gonna get some piccies when these frames turn up!?

Here’s what mine will look like.

2020-09-30_11-33-24

Except it’ll have Chris King/Lightbike carbon 29ers in the new incarnation.

wishiwascalledsteve

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEHa7LvnSf0/?igshid=kvxf0ojbh1sy

This is my current 27.5 MK1, 140mm travel singlespeed…. MK2 will be a 120mm “XC” bike with a few gears (just waiting on a few bits to arrive)

The 29er MK1 will be 150mm “Enduro” hardtail, just stripped the parts ready for tomorrows build…. Hopefully

dethbeard
    Free Member

Just got my tracking number, estimated delivery 29 Dec…

Although that is the next working day after the 24th, so not really an issue.

joebristol

You’re a step ahead of me so far…..

dethbeard
    Free Member

Frame delivered at 825 this morning, quite impressed with Parcels2Go on this occasion.

In the box was the frame, some decals, a headset (I wasn’t expecting), 3 mech hangers (handy to have spares), cable clip/tidys and rear axle.
    Plus more stickers and a Marino brand t shirt.

Not really had a chance to do much other than unboxing before starting work, but post Christmas build is on.
    (I really need to order a dropper post)

Hope everyone else’s turns up soon

pimpingimp
    Free Member

Can’t believe you posted to Instagram before here!

dethbeard
    Free Member

I thought you’d see it there first!

wishiwascalledsteve

According to parcel force tracking mine will be delivered within the next hour…. Though the little driver icon on the map hasn’t moved for the last 30 minutes

marksnook
    Free Member

Just got home from a ride to a parcel on the door step! Will wash my bike then get a look. Got no hope of putting a photo on here, too complicated!

joebristol

How do you get parcelforce to show where the driver is on a map – can’t see how I’d do that?

wishiwascalledsteve

I had to go onto desktop site rather than mobile (assuming you’re on the mobile site), then it’s the red “my parcel live” button.
    But it seems quite temperamental

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 252 total)

The topic ‘Marino custom frame – some progress!’ is closed to new replies.