Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 133 total)
  • Marina Hyde
  • ElShalimo

She can’t be that posh if she’s named after one of BL’s monstrosities

binners

Could have been worse. Could have been Allegro.

Perhaps, despite their grand titles, her parents were big admirers of the simple charms of unreliable, inevitably brown rust buckets occasionally produced by bolshy lefties in the midlands on the rare occasions they weren’t on strike?

ElShalimo

Could have been Allegro.

Isn’t that Boris’ new helper?

MoreCashThanDash

You don’t think they named her in the same way the Beckhams named Brooklyn?

molgrips
    Free Member

Look, I am all for levity and humour. But Hyde isn’t it – at least, not for me.

ElShalimo

Are you more of an Austin Princess kind of guy?

MoreCashThanDash

That explains why my middle names are Triumph Herald….and the kids are called Megane and Octavia. The eldest often asks why he has a French sounding girls name

binners

Look, I am all for levity and humour. But Hyde isn’t it – at least, not for me.

Your middle name’s ‘Ambassador’, isn’t it?

molgrips
    Free Member

Nope, still not it.

binners

Maxi?

ElShalimo

Maybe molgrips was conceived under a stand at a trade show where they were exhibiting exciting new adjustable gripping tools?

The less said about the genesis of @binners the better😉

perchypanther
    Free Member

My middle names are Leyland Leopard

binners

Mine are Mini and Metro. My first name’s Beige

perchypanther
    Free Member

^^ that was my first car. A black one.

binners

They did black ones? I thought they only did them in colours that you could accessorise with the anaglypta wallpaper in a suburban bungalow?

What was the black shade called? Satan’s Earl Grey?

perchypanther
    Free Member

What was the black shade called?

List of strike breaking scabs.

binners

Did it come with one of them tied up in the boot?

mogrim

Maybe molgrips was conceived under a stand at a trade show where they were exhibiting exciting new adjustable gripping tools?

I though mol was a Sprinter?

sprinter

dannyh
    Free Member

What was the black shade called?

List of strike breaking scabs.

😅

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I can tell you what the pea green colour was called: unwanted.
    I qpwas working for a marketing agency and we were running Heinz win a car a day competition. We had 50 assorted cars to give away and the admin girl was out so I was given the winners details and rang him. He was out at work so I spoke to his wife. I told her she’d won a Metro in that pea green colour. She said “any other colour available?” I said no as the car was chosen and set on a lot ready for delivery.
    Said she didn’t want it then.
    I gave her an out of hours contact number and sure enough hubby rang back saying he didn’t want it either in that but he could move it on for a few grand.
    I sided with the wife. It was hideous.

willard

Ah, the Morris Marina. Shit car. My mother had the estate version when I was about 11 or 12 and it was horrific. You could open the doors by thumping the door under the handle.

But, te prize for the worst car ever was the Ambassador. Truly awful. I much preferred the Rover and that says a lot.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I had an Austin Princess for some reason for a month in London. I had no idea where any of the corners where when parking it. Needed to park in front of a big plate glass window if I wanted any chance of parking close without hitting anything p.
    Loved my Allegro though. Bigger engine, 5 speed box and hydrolastic pumped so hard it had the ride height of a dune buggy and only chassis flex got you round the corners.

johnx2
    Free Member

just realised that what you’re calling a Marina I’d call a Morris 1100

…good family care for the 1960s, pre child seatbelts when three of us would rattle about in the back. It was a dostoyevsky” after all. All this hard work on Marina when there’s Hyde/Jekyle to go at? Maybe not.

To the haters: columnists are the lowest form of journalist, as she tweeted yesterday I think. Her current run of in my view incredible form is down to her amazement at seeing a country run by one of her breed, with predictable dire results. A certain level of bitterness isn’t for everyone, but works for me…

*Theodore

ElShalimo

My Dad bought an L-reg Marina Coupe in the late 70s… but it was the 1.8TC version!
    It was very fast when it wasn’t up on ramps. It looked just like this

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

My Leyland DAF campervan has the Perkins Prima diesel motor out of a Montego in it.
    It’s noisy and underpowered, but still works now, 30 years later

dafydd17
    Free Member

I hate to drag this entertaining thread back on track, but Marina Hyde’s piece “How did the man with no self-control swallow the words ‘Barnard Castle’?” is superb.

dovebiker

Now, a Leyland Barnard Castle, that would be some motor! 🤣

dannyh
    Free Member

I enjoyed another columnist’s description of Johnson’s pathetic new briefing room as ‘Nuremberg Radisson’.

Still, I bet they don’t really give a shit what it looks like so long as the right set of mates got their slice of the £££ action.

binners

I hate to drag this entertaining thread back on track, but Marina Hyde’s piece “How did the man with no self-control swallow the words ‘Barnard Castle’?” is superb.

Indeed….

And so to Johnson’s first outing in his government’s new briefing room, which I’m afraid is absolutely gopping. Not only was the previous wood-panelled location far smarter, but the party of business seems to have been completely rinsed for their £2.6m. It looks like it cost about what a leading public school would spend on the set for a sixth-form play about a man who becomes prime minister. Which I suppose is what we’re watching.

somafunk

I particularly enjoyed this bit,

“Of course the prime minister follows the Nolan principles when conducting himself in public life.” OK but which Nolan – Christopher? I guess there are thematic consistencies between the prime minister and the movie director’s oeuvre. Both would very much like you to believe there’s no such thing as objective truth, and that after a while, the audience will simply lack the energy to understand or argue with what they’re watching.

dannyh
    Free Member

It looks like it cost about what a leading public school would spend on the set for a sixth-form play about a man who becomes prime minister.

“Nuremberg Radisson”

It deserves more airtime does that particular description.

copa
    Free Member

Oh she’s so funny.
    Well done Marina.
    She’s certainly brought that BoJo down a peg or two.
    My only criticism is that it’s so hard to read when one is guffawing so much.
    Sir Alastair Edgcumbe James Dudley-Williams must be so proud.

johnx2
    Free Member

using irony to be funny whilst making a serious point. MH makes it look easy…

Oh she’s so funny.
    Well done Marina.
    She’s certainly brought that BoJo down a peg or two.
    My only criticism is that it’s so hard to read when one is guffawing so much.
    Sir Alastair Edgcumbe James Dudley-Williams must be so proud.

^^^when clearly it’s not.

somafunk

Nice try copa but you are not as funny as you consider yourself to be

matt_outandabout
    dannyh
    Free Member

Nice try copa but you are not as funny as you consider yourself to be

But about as predictable.

Edukator
    Free Member

I like her journalism in a “takes one to catch one” style. As I said on a thread a week back she’s one of the reasons I still read the Guardian, along with Simon Jenkins. Unlike many above I don’t considered her a homourist, sure there’s a touch of often black humour and wit to lighten a dark subject but it’s not comedy, I think she means it. Which is why I read it.

Too many journalists have given up on sincerity in favour of click bait, I think Marina is sincere.

As for the name I assumed it a pen name. Hyde as in Dr Jekkyl’s evil side and Marina as in where posh people keep their boats. It’s only this thread that has prompted me to check her name and find that Marina is real, what were they thinking?

copa
    Free Member

Here’s a good overview of why I don’t like the Marina Hyde brand of journalism:
    The strange death of British satire

dazh

I’m with copa on this. Hyde is yet another member of the cosy establishment clique making a nice living off the thing she pretends to be against. She may be humorous but is she really any better than Kuenssberg and Peston? It’s basically just gossip and banter dressed up as satire. Monbiot sums up the problem quite well in this thread..

kelvin

…is she really any better than Kuenssberg and Peston?

Unequivocally, yes.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Marina Hyde’ is closed to new replies.