Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)
  • Marina Hyde
  • SaxonRider

I always quite liked her, but the material she has been turning out for the last year or so has been of a higher order.

Have a read of this piece, for example.

Marina Hyde may be one of my favourite people in Britain!

DrJ

Same here – she is superb.

5plusn8
    Free Member

No argument from me. A great polemicist piss taker who skewers anyone and everyone that needs it.

fasthaggis

She’s brilliant,always hits the mark,and then …I remember…Piers Morgan and feel a little bit sick.
    Why Marina,why?

binners

When historians come to write the history of this period, they needn’t bother. Just collect all Marina Hydes articles together and publish them. It’ll stand up as the definitive commentary.

She’s absolutely brilliant! I’m trying to think of my favourite turn of phrase of hers, but there are so many. Describing Boris as ‘a fly-tipped sofa’ was up there 😀

nickc

Isn’t she Marina Ponsonby Cleft-Palette Huntingdon Symthe, or some such nonsense?, daughter of the 3rd Earl of Bumptonshire…Normal trajectory for some-one of her class, I guess; Posh school, Oxford, Writing gig…

pondo

Crikey – saw the thread and feared something bad had happened! Love her stuff.

chestrockwell

Yep, she’s great! Makes me literally LOL at times.

dannyh
    Free Member

Combine her with Victoria Coren-Mitchell and I go a bit of a dither…

Sandwich

I would add John Crace to the list of those whose analysis of political life requires greater exposure.

dannyh
    Free Member

I was about to post that John Crace is still slightly better than Marina, but only just.

His adding of poignant personal experience is brilliant on occasion. His skewering of the plastic patriots with their ‘we won the war’ bullshit, involving his uncle (or father, I can’t quite recall) was superb.

hatter

Not hugely bothered by the ad hominem jabs at her background, her writing is on point and has been for years.

binners

John Crace is another great writer. He’s very funny, but I distinctly remember his description of him getting to grips with his heroin addiction really had an impact

How I overcame my heroin addiction – and started to live

chakaping
    Free Member

Isn’t she Marina Ponsonby Cleft-Palette Huntingdon Symthe, or some such nonsense?, daughter of the 3rd Earl of Bumptonshire…Normal trajectory for some-one of her class, I guess; Posh school, Oxford, Writing gig…

Do go on.

eddiebaby
    Free Member
    nickc

She is as Establishment as it gets, i.e. has no skin in the game. and her trajectory is as exactly as one would expect given her connections…Yes she’s a good writer, and I enjoy her stuff, but she’s not hugely different to Mary Wakefield (daughter of a Baron and Journalist) Peregrine* Worsthorne, (Journalist and Aristocracy), Lord Cecil, etc etc so on and on…The press in this country has form for this sort of thing, and it’s just another way of keeping power in a tightly controlled group of folk

*Yes, really.

She explains away the name change by suggesting that it couldn’t fit on the Sun’s header page when she started in journalism but I don’t think that problem exists for her now, apart from, y’know, I doubt it’d do her reputation at the Guardian any good.

kelvin

has no skin in the game

I agree. I don’t think this weakens her writing though. Same goes for Tony Benn.

greyspoke
    Free Member

I am a bit meh about her type of journalism in general. It is humour, but when reading it I just find it a pain to keep having to disentangle the good jokes (plenty of them) from the good points (far fewer of those). A good joke is rarely a good point, and vice versa. John Crace is more succesful at blurring the distinction and I prefer his overall style, but the same applies.

ElShalimo

So I think we’re in agreement, they’re both good regardless of background

dannyh
    Free Member

So I think we’re in agreement, they’re both good regardless of background

Absolutely. It is a crying shame that more people won’t read their stuff, but when so many people are happy being spoon-fed their existing prejudices back to them as ‘news’ via social media, then the message will only ever be heard by the same few…

johnx2
    Free Member

She’s brilliant. Her pieces on our current utter shambles are the only good thing about it (columnist writes about country being ‘governed’ by columnists. And fireplace salespeople.)

On jokes to points ratio: a columnist only ever needs one good point per article, and most barely manage that. She generally does have either a new or a sound take on a subject. I actually think someone has told Johnson to go easy on saying how bad it makes him feel to do the stuff he’s doing, after she pointed out that his feelings are not really the issue for most of us. Not a huge win but still…

gauss1777
    Free Member

Well (typically) I stand alone in disliking her.

MrSparkle

Why?

kimbers

The sad thing is that the majority of the population instead of reading either crace or Hyde (both brilliant IMHO) believe the type of rubbish that you get in the Sun/daily Mail

(I’m literally just off the phone with my mum telling me how the French are going to make holidays hard because brexit)

Going balls deep in culture war guff really is a winning formula for the Tories

imnotverygood

Yes, it’s extremely important to consider a journalist’s class. Give me Rod Liddell any day of the week. He’s properly working class. Great journalist, very, very witty.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Why?

To be honest I’ve stopped reading her pieces. But from what I recall (which may be pish), whilst she writes well and is rather witty, she’s far too smug. It’s easy enough to critique others, but she rarely offers a solution and if she does suggest one it is questionable. Also, she tends to rarely critique anything too controversial.

chakaping
    Free Member

I thought I was quite chippy about class, but it would never cross my mind to devalue someone’s contribution because of their upbringing.

Very poor show, old sport.

chakaping
    Free Member

Also, I tend not to read guardian opinion pieces because… Well they are guardian opinion pieces.

But that Zuckerberg thing is superbly funny and perceptive.

inkster
    Free Member

The Guardian itself doesn’t had much skin in the game with regards party politics since Corbyn came along. That’s why it’s become a better paper these last few years. With Labour not really in the fight in recent years the paper has found itself without a party to back, so for the the columnists it’s become less about fighting and more about writing.

I enjoy Marina Hyde’s writing in the same way as I enjoyed AA Gill and still enjoy Jonathan Meades. Better smug than earnest.

martinhutch

Give me Rod Liddell any day of the week. He’s properly working class. Great journalist, very, very witty.

Absolute **** of the first order. Just Katie Hopkins packaged for the broadsheet market.

easily
    Free Member

I would happily appoint Marina to the dual role of Prime Minister and manager of the England football team.

That’s why it’s become a better paper these last few years

I think this might be the most wrong thing I have ever read. The celebrity story to news ratio has become ridiculous.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Agree about Rod Liddle, he is a massive reason To Work Around The swear filter.

dannyh
    Free Member

Rod Liddell

Doesn’t mind dishing out a bit of domestic violence as I recall.

Lovely chap, salt of the earth, tells it like it is etc…..

ransos
    Free Member

I enjoy Marina Hyde’s writing in the same way as I enjoyed AA Gill and still enjoy Jonathan Meades. Better smug than earnest.

If you want to read the equivalent of a TV panel show, sure.

johnx2
    Free Member

I would happily appoint Marina to the dual role of Prime Minister

I think she’s already written somewhere that newspaper columnists, with their avoidance of hard work and ignoring looming deadlines shouldn’t really be in positions on responsibility (expressed more funnily, in a piece about Johnson).

binners

If you want to read the equivalent of a TV panel show, sure.

Perhaps you could instead direct us to your favourite Morning Star article, comrade?

I heard a certain regular celebrity columnist of theirs, a Mr J Corbyn, recently published an absolute barnstormer on the brave struggle of the Bolivian freedom fighters against their corporate American overlords, which even included his favourite quinoa recipe.

copa
    Free Member

A terrible hack who appeals to centrists.
    Daughter of a peer, married to a peer.
    From private education to Oxford University to a job at the Sun.

Never had to worry about paying rent or bills.
    Utterly comfortable in a world of Westminster and celebrity.
    Completely London centric.

Writes the most puerile fluff that makes humourless people guffaw.

ransos
    Free Member

Perhaps you could instead direct us to your favourite Morning Star article, comrade?

Soz, didn’t realise that you were her husband.

chakaping
    Free Member

Tell us one of your jokes then pal.

dannyh
    Free Member

“Well, that’s just like… your opinion man”.

(J Lebowski aka ‘The Dude’)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Marina Hyde’ is closed to new replies.