Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Marin Wolf Ridge – How old?
  • voodoo-rich

So, this was next to a skip down the road, with a “please help yourself” sign… Apart from the dodgy tyres and missing seat, it’s immaculate. Not a spot of dirt or cable rub, I thinks it’s been used on a turbo trainer then left to gather dust.

How old is it? 2000-ish? The wife quite likes it, so a few parts from the spares box should have it working easily.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jikbMb]DSC_0722[/url] by Richard Burt, on Flickr

damascus
    Free Member

Nice skip find.

V brakes so early 2000.

Put some pictures up when it’s restored.

I had a marin mount vision, great bike

Jamze

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stevehine

Iirc it has disc mounts on the swingarm, but I would imagine you’d need an adapter plate for any modern brakes… Hope made some compatible calipers back in the day (C2’s) and they were an optional upgrade at point of sale/order.

endomick
    Free Member

I didnt think post mounts on forks dated back that far.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Post mount was a Manitou thing long before every one else went that way

granny_ring

It’s just an IS/post mount on the rear isn’t it?
    I had a rift zone back in the day and loved it, my first full sus. Only thing was the manitou fork wasn’t very good and only 80mm.

stevehine

I thought you could get a plate (same as early whytes) for IS mount calipers, but that hope made a direct mount caliper specially. I could be wrong, it’s 20 years since I got my upgrade kit 😁

granny_ring

You might be right actually, it was a later frame that has an IS disc mount from memory.

andrewh
    Free Member

The brake mount will be IS at the back, my 1999 Attack Trail had that. The one on the fork will be funny though, the post mount spacing changed around then. A 1999 Manitou X-Vert had the old spacing, (I forget what) the new post mount is 74mm.
    For Hope C2/O2/C4/O4 calipers you’ll need a number 9 for the front and a 185m disc. The rear will be number 3 for a 165mm disc. Plenty of rear options of course, no idea what else what the fit the front, presumably some period Hayes. A2Z used to make adapters for this but would push you up a disc size, might still be some about.

trail_rat
    Free Member

69mm on 99 xverts.

The rear on a 2000 will be I.S

I had a 2000 b17 with xvert DC’s on .

the-muffin-man

…take those Manitous straight back to the skip!! Not their finest era for forks. 🙂

voodoo-rich

well, standard-spotters, i can report that the fork has a 74mm post-mount, and the swingarm has a pair of holes at 38mm spacing like this… i think disc brakes can wait!
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2jjfre4]DSC_0723[/url] by Richard Burt, on Flickr

trumpton
    Free Member

Looks like a good find.enjoy it.

submarined
    Free Member

I’d offer you the swingarm from my similar period Attach Trail I’ve got in the garage, but that is, of course, cracked. Because it’s a turn off the century Marin…

Go over that bike with a fine toothed comb. Pay particular attention to the ht/down tube junction, and the pivot on the main frame. I’ve lost count of how many times mine were warrantied!

I’ve probably got a spare shock/mech hanger if they’re any use to you?

stevehine

I knew it ! You might be able to track down the specs for the disc mount plate and have one made ? Should look like this…

Marin/Whyte brake mount

Maybe atb-sales might have one down the back of the sofa; it’s the same plate that early Whytes used.

alanf
    Free Member

I may have one of those mounts in my spares box. I will have a look…

In fact I have 2 – one marked XC and one marked ER presumably to run larger disks if required.
    Let me know if you want them as they have been sat in my box since about 2005 and I didn’t really know what they fitted (they came with some second hand hope brakes I acquired).

voodoo-rich

I’ll give it a close inspection before i let the Mrs ride it! and good call on atb-sales @stevehine. I found a thread on mtbr forums with some guy making the adaptors, but it was from 2007!

stevehine

Sounds like @alanf is your best bet; They are hard to get these days (though I’m sure it’d be easy enough to get one made if you knew they hole spacings; they are just a flat alu plate)

alanf
    Free Member

@voodoo-rich – I have the mounts. Let me know if you want them and I’ll stick them in the post

granny_ring

Good result 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Marin Wolf Ridge – How old?’ is closed to new replies.