Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Marin Trail
  • sparkerfix

Finally should get to ride the Marin Trail in a couple of weeks. As we’re staying in Betws Y Coed for a few nights, is it possible to ride out from there to pick up the trail or is it recommended to ride up the road and start from the trailhead? Cheers.

wombat

Don’t know the answer but will be watching with interest as I’m off there soon and was wondering exactly the same thing

nickc

I ride up the road, it’s a nice warm up, and reasonably quiet.

sl80
    Free Member

If you look at a trail map you can join up at the start of the Endor section easily from the centre of Betws. Cross the river in the centre and follow the lane that runs parallel north of the A5.

jekkyl

in leiu of anyone else answering. When we rode it we drove up to the trailhead and started there but it seemed to me that there was several ways on from other places we passed. Have a look at bing maps flicking between OS and satellite and you should be able to find a closer way on I reckon. Even if you have to ride to the trailhead it’s not far.

Northwind

You can ride in from BWC and meet the route partway round… But I think I’d still prefer to do it “properly” The ride to the trailhead’s just long enough to be annoying imo but it’s definitely doable.

You might want to allow a little time for exploring the mine ruins, it’s pretty interesting… And quite nice to be out riding and more or less ride into the middle of a museum.

sparkerfix

Thanks!!

tthew

it’s a nice warm up

Is code for it’s effing steep.
    I rode down to Betws for my dinner once, as I was hammering down the road, never occurred to me the effect a bag of Fish and Chips would have on the way back. Nearly puked.

northerntom
    Free Member

Pretty sure you can turn left at the fork rather than right and go up the steep road, and join the trail somewhere from there? I’ve always driven before.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Best to do it from Trail head and then when done .. bike + car and do Penmachno for afters

sparkerfix

FYI. The road from Betws the B5106 is currently closed for tree felling across the road for 8 weeks. It’s shut off at the campsite.

CheesybeanZ

I’m sure I remember the trailhead being 5 miles from Betws and mostly uphill – I’d drive personally .

sparkerfix

Rode out from Betws found a cracking path up/down because of the road closure. Didn’t see another rider. Great trail.

mikekay
    Free Member

did it last weekend, one lap from the carpark and one from Betws. both worked fine for me and yes the roads still closed

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Marin Trail’ is closed to new replies.