• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by irc.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Marathon Supreme or big one for 29er commuting
  • djflexure

I have a great 29er drop bar set up. I’d like to commute on this bike but its so sloooow on road and I think the tacky Vittoria Peyote tyres are to blame. They are great off road but my commute is road and canal towpaths.

Need to get to work faster, 50 mins rather than 1 hour plus so..

Schwalbe Marathon Supreme come in 40mm and look like a large winter road tyre. Possibly what I need.

The Big One is different, reviews say its very fast, but also might puncture which would be a pain on the winter commute.

Any experiences?

I would be running on tubeless on some Crest rims.

Thanks

djflexure

I’m assuming I can set up the 700c x 40mm marathons on my rims

fifeandy
    Free Member

Big one is designed to be ultra-thin and fast, but n TL-Easy the sealant should do its job. Obviously check you’ve got clearance for a 2.35.

Marathon supreme should be perfect for the job.

As another alternative i’d consider a race king 2.2 protection.

irc

The Voyager Hyper is slightly faster rolling than the Marathon Supreme and comes in a 700×38.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIVOHY/vittoria-voyager-hyper-folding-tyre

The trade off is the tread is thinner so it won’t last as long. For a commute doing big miles the Marathon Supreme looks like a good bet. Very few punctures with them. 1 puncture on a USA coast to coast on my tourer. No punctures with a pair of 26x2s used for urban riding until they were almost worn out.

700×40 wired Supremes for £17 + post at ..

https://www.buyabike.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-supreme-raceguard-700-x-40mm-factory-tyre-wired-9026.html

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Marathon Supreme or big one for 29er commuting’ is closed to new replies.