• This topic has 21 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by rkk01.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Map of "The Gap" Brecon ?
  • jj55

GPS just decided not to play, and I’m riding The Gap tomorrow with friends, anyone got a link to a decent map of the route I could download and print out?. It’s the circular route I’m after going through Brecon and Tal-Y-Bont

Thanks in advance! 🙂

shortcut

Ordnance Survey may be able to help!

jj55

OS could help if I knew the route………………

blob
    Free Member
    chvck
    Free Member

I can give you a GPX of what not to ride! We rode it last year and fella in the bike shop said we’d done it the wrong way and missed loads of good riding in the area, oops 😆

welshfarmer

send me you address to the addy in my profile and I will send you the route as a gpx if you like

squealer
    Free Member

You can buy a pack of Mtb route maps for a few quid from the tourist information centre. The gap route is one of them.

sri16v
    Free Member

The maps posted above miss out the cracking descent to dolygaer activity centre, follow thr bridleway over bryniau gleision, worth it for the views

mrlebowski
    Free Member

A map??? An actual paper map???

Heaven forbid…!!

jj55

Thanks guys for all the offers, unfortunately the GPS is not GPS’ing hence the request for actual real maps. Old skool!

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

Just out of curiosity, what would you have done if your GPS had failed half way round on the ride tomorrow?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Just out of curiosity, what would you have done if your GPS had failed half way round on the ride tomorrow?

+1…

jj55

Used my inbuilt homing system and headed roughly in the direction of Brecon until I picked up a road, then followed the signs back to Brecon. 8)

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Used my inbuilt homing system and headed roughly in the direction of Brecon until I picked up a road, then followed the signs back to Brecon.

I wonder if your homing system works when it can’t see where it’s going in hill fog….?

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

Good luck, then! I did The Gap a few years back and really enjoyed it. Fantastic sunny day, so no hill fog 😉

Greg the Cartographer

Ambrose

Greg Brown?

jj55

Mrlebowski I have maps, compass and a rough sketch of the route already. Was looking for suggestions of a better route or confirmation the route we did last year in this area was the best one. I even have a survival bag!

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

Ambrose – no, but I did actually work with Greg B at Surrey Police (he was my manager)and still see him occasionally. Small world!

Ambrose

That’s the guy. As you say, small world.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I have maps, compass

These are your first point of call, the GPS is a back up. Not the other way round. You’ll realise that when your GPS packs up & you’ve can’t read the map well enough to work out where you are.

rkk01
    Free Member

The route posted above (by blob?) is a poor imitation. At Talybont, cross the canal and head up the Brinore tramroad. That gets you high enough onto the ridge to drop down the Dolygaer descent to the outdoor activity centre above thd causeway between Ponsticill & Pentwyn reservoirs

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Map of "The Gap" Brecon ?’ is closed to new replies.