Map my Ride vs Strava vs anything else?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Map my Ride vs Strava vs anything else?
  • jayx2a

So been trying both of these apps too see which one is best and feel they both have strong points.

When running side by side they seem to pretty much get the distance, speed and elavation similar but MMR has calories at nearly double for some rides – not sure if it calculates it on different things!

I like the way the MMR has specific MTB to select and you can put in wheel size etc. I;m not sure if this makes a difference! Plus my Wife uses MMR for horse riding so keeps me up to date with her riding.

But also like the way that Strava has segments and recognises the routes around my local trails.

What does everyone favor and why? (free versions)

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

Strava for a few reasons.
    My friends are on it
    It happily lets me upload rides, run and gym work
    The route planning is pretty good

Premier Icon dangeourbrain
    Subscriber

The big question is what do you want it for? (that’s not meant as a snarky question)

jayx2a

Distance
    Route
    Elevation
    Speed

Probably in that order!

The big benefit that Strava has over the others is the social aspects. For performance metrics then it isnt too bad either although not as good as the likes of Training Peaks

Not quite sure what Map My Rides niche is these days. Last time i used it (years ago now) the ads were pretty intrusive on the free version.

Could always use both and if you use a garmin or wahoo you can sync to both accounts. Some phone apps will allow that too – the free wahoo fitness one will work.

Premier Icon thepurist
    Subscriber

ViewRanger is another alternative – offline maps (OS if you pay) and route navigation, but lacks the segments etc of Strava.

Premier Icon dangeourbrain
    Subscriber

Distance
    Route
    Elevation
    Speed

Probably in that order!

For those I found runtastic mtb to be very good (I’ve got the pro version, the freebie might not be so good) what it doesn’t have is all the social media side (good or bad thing, you’ll be firmly in one camp or the other). It’s (lack of) integration with external GPS is why I use it very little now.
    I very much liked that it shows most things per km/Mi as well as overall.

I tend to run strava very heavily restricted and it annoys me the things I can’t do on there because of that – e.g. I can’t view my own segment times which end in exclusion zones.

Premier Icon alanw2007
    Subscriber

Strava for ride recording
    RideWithGPS for route planning

IHN

RideWithGPS for route planning
    Wahoo App linked to Elemnt GPS unit, synced to RWGPS, for navigation and ride recording

Premier Icon ampthill
    Subscriber

I think I went with Stava as it can get the elevation from a base map

As a bonus I get frequent reinders that everyone elese is faster than me

Premier Icon Brainflex
    Subscriber

Endomondo is good.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.