Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Map making app
  • nickbarthram
    Free Member

Anyone know an iPhone app that let’s you build routes when you’re out? Not Strava/Runkeeper style, but one that let’s you add to it over time?

Reason I ask is I’ve just moved to Dursley (near Glos) where there are loads of trails in the woods behind my place but I keep getting lost. If I could take my phone up and mark different routes with different colours gradually a map of all trails will build up. I’ve read you can do this combining loads of GPX files, but didn’t know if there’s an app that just lets you build it over time?

Any ideas?

Ta

Nick

paladin

I use my garmin edge, upload the route data to garminconnect, then download the route to Google earth on my laptop. Don’t know if you can do dfifferrent colours tho……

CraigW
    Free Member

What about contributing to OpenStreetMap? Depends on where you, there are quite a lot of paths/tracks etc already mapped in OSM. You can record GPS tracks, then use those (along with aerial imagery etc), to add paths to the map.

There are a variety of apps for viewing OSM maps on an iPhone. eg MapsWithMe seems to be a decent free one for offline maps.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    leffeboy

What about contributing to OpenStreetMap

As above but you may not want to do so if you mainly ride cheeky trails. It’s really rather easy to add and edit but it’s worth taking the time to see how people have marked up trails in your area e.g. tracks, trails, unmetalled road etc. to make sure that you match what everyone else is doing. If you really want to do it well then the person who runs openmtbmap (which is based on the openstreetmap data) has got some info on how to tag the trails with additional things like steepness (see http://openmtbmap.org/tutorials/participate/). He updates the maps weekly from the openstreetmap data so you should see your data quite quickly if you download from openmtbmap. If you are really impatient you can compile your own maps much more quickly but I wouldn’t recommend it really

nickbarthram
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Those look like great suggestions, will check them out. If anyon’es interested I’ve just found a site which makes heatmaps of your Strava activity – doesn’t do exactly what I needed but the resulting heatmap is pretty accurate map of all the trails!

Personalised strava heat map

There’s also an option where you can see a heatmap of everyone’s activities – MTB geek heaven

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Map making app’ is closed to new replies.