Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Manx e2e logistics….doable without car?
  • whytetrash

Hi hopefully some locals can advise…. few of us fancy this event but no idea of what transport is like on the island. If we come over as foot passengers on the Friday where would you advise staying so reaching the start is easy… and then what are the options for returning to accommodation post ride?….not sure I’ll have many takers for riding back :lol:thanks folks

whytetrash

has the internet reached the IOM?

jekkyl

When I did it in 2010 they provided transport to and from the to douglas for an extra £15. There was also several friendly locals in landys offering lifts with bikes back to douglas for a few quid. Most everyone stays in douglas as it’s the capital and where most of the accomodation is. Mostly everyone goes over as a foot passenger and the ferry trip over is fun as the car deck is stuffed with shit loads of bikes.
    I can’t say whether they still offer transport but probably most likely, probably more info on the website.
    IIRC entry opens late jan/feb sometime and usually sells out. The ride is very tough but fun and there’s timed cut offs if you’re not up to standard.

mark88

As the name suggests, the start is at the opposite end of the Island from the finish, so you’re best off staying in Douglas and paying £15 for the event transport.

All of the hotels in Douglas are an easy ride from the sea terminal, and event registration is also in Douglas.

iomnigel
    Free Member

Definitely doable without a car if as Mark88 says you stay in Douglas and get the transport option sorted. From memory, you can actually get a steam train back from the finish after a few beers.

If you have support coming then obviously that will be more problematic for them 🙂

Awesome event and always well supported locally.

jate
    Free Member

I did this event a few years ago (my BiL is from the IoM) and as IOMNigel says the support is amazing.
    The first few miles are on road and I was stunned to see on a rather damp morning that so many locals were standing at the side of the road cheering us all on.
    If they’ve still got the finish line at the top of the hill in Port Erin, make sure to have something in the tank at the end. It’s a bit of a killer.
    And yes, get the ferry as a foot passenger and use the transport that is provided.

whytetrash

thanks guys that sounds great!

duffyc
    Free Member

Done the end2end a couple of times as a foot passenger….always stopped in hotels on the front literally as you get off the ferry.

Transport to the start and back is great. However…..one word of warning is that the bikes go in the back of an articulated lorry in a fishbone kind of way…..We saw some people getting their pride and joy back with big damage……gouged fork stanchions, gouged carbon frames……all sorts of nastiness.

The second time we went I heli taped pretty much my whole bike, and bubble wrapped my forks and rear shock.
    Some people took big pieces of cardboard to stuff between their bikes and others? My mate just wrapped his bike in black duct tape……which looked hilarious but did the trick. Kind of looked like some knew carbon invention. Anyway, I digress…..

I was lucky and didn’t get anything too bad…but I saw one poor guy pull his bike out at the start with his rear mech completely destroyed……so he was finished before he had started.

Just worth keeping in mind if you’re precious about your bike. You can always ride back after as well as its not too far.

Great event, although ever time I’ve done it…..the weather has been AWFUL!

Enjoy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Manx e2e logistics….doable without car?’ is closed to new replies.