Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Mango bike sizing for someone with a sciatica problem?
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

My Dad is having to move on from his 2001 Trek 5200 OCLV road bike because it’s giving him problems with his sciatica. With it being a full on racing bike (it’s even the USPS replica- not through choice, mind) the position is too racy for him and making his legs hurt. He’s in his mid 60s and not that serious a cyclist so something with lower gearing will probably suit him better anyway.

We’re looking at a Mango Point AR and struggling to decide what size to go for. He’s 5ft 7 1/2″ tall and the size boundary between a small and medium on Mango’s site is 5’8″. Part of me thinks going a size down will be more beneficial given the situation with his back than going up a size, which is what I would do if I were his height.

The problem is the jump between the TT on the small and medium is pretty big – 523mm on the small and 547mm on the medium – the site doesn’t state whether or not that’s ATT or ETT. I’ve struggled to find much information about it but I believe the ETT on his Trek is 562mm, though I’d not say he looks especially comfortable on it. I ride a Marin with a 560mm ETT and that’s too big for him.

Anyone any ideas, or better still own and tried one? He’s going to call them today to get their take on it but it’d be nice to speak to someone who’s sat on one and isn’t trying to sell them.

TiRed

Going a size up will allow for higher bars with a shorter stem (all else being equal). Looking at the geometry of those two bikes, the small has a steeper seat tube (74.5 is steep) and this shortens the effective top tube considerably. the 71 degree head tube will make it steer like a tank compared to his OLCV.

Have you tried flipping the stem or a riser stem on the Trek to raise the bars? Sometimes having the bars too close can bring on back pain. Moving the saddle a little forward may help take more weight through the legs when pedalling too.

Based on the geometry, and what he has been riding, I’d say go for a medium. The 3cm longer head tube seals it for me.

munrobiker
    Free Member

That makes sense.

The Trek is, in all honest, a bit too big for him when you see him on it. It’s already on a good stack of spacers (about 45mm) and needs considerably more height than flipping the stem. An extra 3cm on the head tube sounds useful.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

I’m the same height and a 545mm top tube is good for me. I injured my L5/S1 and have permanent numbness etc, so in a similar position.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Mango bike sizing for someone with a sciatica problem?’ is closed to new replies.