• This topic has 27 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by tdog.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Mangled my finger; sitting in A&E…. Waiting time bingo.
  • alpin
    Free Member

Stupidly forgot a screw in my back pocket and managed to catch my little finger on it after it had poked through the fabric.

Going to need stitches.

Anyone care to guess how long it’ll take to be fixed up?

Been waiting 1h40 already…..

eskay

It will get very close to four hours and then you will be seen…..

thepurist

Hopfully quick – they’ll want you out before the onslaught of drunken footie injuries tonight

alpin
    Free Member

Sorry  should add I’m in Germany … One of the most efficient health care systems in Europe.

turboferret

This thread is useless without pictures!

stevied
    Free Member

I nearly sliced the top off my finger a while ago, went to the local minor injuries and was in and out in 30 mins, glued and steri-stripped 🙂

Hope you don’t have to wait too long..

Splash-man
    Free Member

This thread is useless……..!

I think the thread on the screw was just fine !

taxi25
    Free Member

This thread is useless without pictures!

Exactly!! How badly can you cut your pinky on a screw poking through your  pocket ?

ElShalimo

262 mins in honour of the Me262

trail_rat
    Free Member

i thought chippie standard finger repair was scott roll electrical taped round the offending appendage .

i assume this option still lead to squirty red stuff everywhere and hence the hospital ?

poly
    Free Member

Sorry  should add I’m in Germany … One of the most efficient health care systems in Europe.

and yet

Been waiting 1h40 already…..

I’ve never waited that long to be initially seen with injuries in Scottish A&E departments, and for trivial stuff that just needs patching and sending home then more often than not, by 1h40, I’m either on my way home or mid treatment. [Applies to all my immediate family not just me]

Murray

@ElShalimo you must be a Blue Oyster Cult fan!

fossy

Cable ties and gaffa tape – sorted. Avoid the WD40 this time though.

No way would I go to A&E for a 4 hour wait.  Or bob to the chemists and get some of those little ‘strips’ for sticking wounds together.

I was lucky last time I went to A&E – priority through to resus – no wait.  Needless to say, I was still in hospital over 6 weeks later.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Have you not heard of superglue?

epicyclo

If you’re kept waiting in A&E, the good news is they don’t think you’re about to die, and they’re concentrating on the unfortunate who is…

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’d bet he’s being patched up now.

German NHS is more expensive than ours, but supposedly they don’t even bother to record waiting lists as there’s not much point.

Drac

No idea with Germany but in the UK who could have gone to a minor injuries and been seen, treat and discharged in about 30 minutes.

Tracey

Would have been superglued in our house.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Would have been superglued in our house.

Ours too. Can’t remember the last time I used a screw.

alpin
    Free Member

OK. … 3h45m from signing in to being mended.

Longer than I’ve ever had to wait in UK A&E. And there were patients, on trollies and on drips, waiting on the corridor. I can see them from were im sitting, but think it might be bad taste to photograph them….

Now waiting for some discharge paperwork for my insurance that I’ll likely not need. Doubt I’ll tell my insurance as even if I don’t make a claim I’ll lose my 5 year no claims, thus losing out on 500€ kickback bonus this year (550€ next year  etc)  and will be back to zero.

Besides that I’ve got 800€ excess to pay for any treatment I receive, meaning it only makes sense to make a claim if the bill is 550€ north of 1300€….

Yay, private health care…!

And now the moment you’ve all been waiting for….

#stitches #noanaesthetic

Was still bleeding like a bitch as the young doctor dude stuck the needle in to sew it up. Was kinda deep, too….

Initial course of action was a sterile patch and some gaffa, but seeing as blood saß running down my arm (and has probably ruined my favourite work t-shirt; Plain Lazy “Work ruined my life”) the lads agreed that I should best get it looked at.

Bugger as I’m off to Italy for four weeks next week. Shit.

brakes
    Free Member

how much did that cost?

Drac

Bugger as I’m off to Italy for four weeks next week. Shit.

I reckon you’ll still make it.

alpin
    Free Member

Cost?

Not sure exactly. Invoice will be here next week  but I’m guessing it’ll be a north of 250€ and then there will be the two or three visits to my GP at minimum 80€ each visit (two dressing changes and then remove the stitches, but I’m tempted to do all that myself).

Last time I saw a doctor about a ligament in my knee it cost me 180€ for the guy to look at my leg, pull it about a bit and give me some exercises that don’t work. He then sat me in a room with an infra red machine (when they realise you are private they see €€€€’s signs).

Last year I visited my GP for back pain and they insisted on blood tests. 220€ incl. 85€  for a questionable blood test.

TBH  having seen the guy doing the stitches I’d be tempted to do it myself if anything similar happens again.

@ Drac…. I sure I make it, but we were planning a week riding in Punta Ala. Might have to change our itinerary until my finger is good. 👍

Drac

3 weeks time if you’ve had no tendon damage then it should be pretty much healed by then.

tdog
    Free Member

Yeeesh! You don’t half moan! It’s not like ypu have had to have screws to keep your fingers in place.

A few poxy stitches boohoo oh and if you feel any more like moaning, you can shove 💩 in your pipe and smoke it 😝

taxi25
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have gone to hospital for that. But your finger your choice. It wouldn’t enter my head that I wouldn’t be riding in a couple of weeks either 😎😎

alpin
    Free Member

3 weeks?! was kinda hoping that the stitches come out next week and i can ride in 10 days….

@taxi
    …. it was the amount of bleeding that was a concern. has bigger cuts through work, but nothing that has bled that much.

@ tdog…. cheers 🙂

tdog
    Free Member

That’s alright Alpin, glwt recovery amd was expecting a typical “shove back” comment.

👍

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Mangled my finger; sitting in A&E…. Waiting time bingo.’ is closed to new replies.