Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Mandela died weeks ago???
  • joat

Now we’re getting a bit more light-hearted about it, can I vent my spleen about the BBC coverage on Thursday night. Mrs Brown’s boys was faded out with no warning to listen to Zuma’s slightly cryptic announcement, followed by the newsreader insisting it was a shock. A shock?, for whom? Followed by the ten o’clock news 10 minutes later repeating what had just been said. I agree it was big news, but a banner along the bottom directing viewers to the BBC news channel would satisfy those who need the news yesterday. We then had what seemed to be pre-rehearsed or recorded tributes which could have waited a day, and stupid vox-pops from people who’s opinion no one cares about. Meanwhile large areas of the country had been battered by storms and were at imminent risk of being flooded by the largest tidal surge in dozens of years. Do we need to be force-fed tributes when nearer to home lives had been or were in danger of being lost. I didn’t want to shout at the TV when hearing about the death of Mandela, but banal and repetitive reporting just diluted what should have been a sombre but proud news item. I hope it’s not just me!

chewkw
    Free Member

joat – Member
    Do we need to be force-fed tributes when nearer to home lives had been or were in danger of being lost. I didn’t want to shout at the TV when hearing about the death of Mandela, but banal and repetitive reporting just diluted what should have been a sombre but proud news item. I hope it’s not just me!

When NM passing was announced I had a feeling I would be watching something related to his struggle for at least 6 months on BBC … to coincide with the release of the movie. At one point I thought BBC was in the process of pre-empting sainthood ahead of the Vatican church and to lead the entire country into mass moaning on the street …

I think BBC has underdone their tribute … they should use words that are … hmmm … 🙄

Meanwhile in the other part of the world he is just another nice old man passing …

CountZero

Now we’re getting a bit more light-hearted about it, can I vent my spleen about the BBC coverage on Thursday night. Mrs Brown’s boys was faded out with no warning to listen to Zuma’s slightly cryptic announcement, followed by the newsreader insisting it was a shock.

I would have though most reasonable people would consider anything that fades out Mrs Brown’s boys to be a real blessing…

grum
    Free Member

Do we need to be force-fed tributes when nearer to home lives had been or were in danger of being lost.

Nearer to home lives are just so much more important aren’t they.

Edric64
    Free Member

http://www.platinum-nissan.co.uk/

We could pay homage here I suppose ?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Nearer to home lives are just so much more important aren’t they.

certainly in this case – Mandela has been seriously ill (if not dead…) for a long time now so his passing wasn’t much of a surprise, so therefore not much of a ‘news’ item really.

grum
    Free Member

That’s a different issue though.

hora
    Free Member

SA is a bloody dangerous and corrupt place isn’t it?

The story is great but the reality?

IanW
    Free Member

It was notable that whilst the NM story was the headline, even after 12 hours it only sneaked in at the bottom of the most read section.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

SA is a bloody dangerous and corrupt place isn’t it?

Yes, despite being a proud Saffa, I’m kinda glad we left.

kimbers

Mrs browns boys 😳

All credibility lost

[Condescending mode]
    I was high brow enough to be watching bbc4s Byzantium documentary they just had a banner across the bottom of the screen [\condescending mode]

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Should have died during X Factor – and for bonus points – the during the final. Worst thing he ever did.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Mandela died weeks ago???’ is closed to new replies.