• This topic has 54 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by BillMC.
Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Mancunianists – decent, quickish food between Piccadilly and the Printworks
  • Cougar

Oyster Bar (no, seriously). Big Tudor building just down the road.

It’s a Sam Smiths pub. Utterly atrocious beer.

It’s Northern beer at Northern prices rather than paying eight quid for a pint of Heineken.

It’s either that or Gammonspoons.

ricbikemag

Where did you end up @IHN? We’re doing the same as you tonight and will probably try BundoBust on the strength of this thread

IHN

Yep, we Bundobusted, it was very good.

Didn’t have a pint after, managed to get the earlier train after a bit of a Trainspotting -esque run through town 🙂

Cougar

Holy zombie thread resurrection, Batman!

I’m in that Manchester on Saturday. Any updates on the above recommendations? Saturday’s T’n’T veggie offering isn’t setting me alight.

prettygreenparrot

Fast fare? Bundobust. That grilled cheese sandwich place down church street. Pieminister. Edit and of course Pancho’s burrito in the arndale markets.

Beer? Briton’s protection. Lower Turk’s head. The Angel. Edit also Terrace NQ on Thomas street.

Fancy fare? I was at ‘20 stories’ the other week. Very nice.

What time are you up there @cougar ? I hear it was rammed last Saturday but I can pop up and hand you those drives if you’re there lunchtime/early afternoon.

crazy-legs

The Christmas Markets are in town so if you’d like to spend £20 on a very substandard hot dog – sorry, bratwurst – and a beer, you’re in luck!

If not, avoid Piccadilly Gardens, St Ann’s Square and Exchange Square!

Also, it’ll be absolutely rammed.

Cougar

Beer? Briton’s protection.

What sort of sociopath goes to the Briton’s and drinks beer?

What time are you up there @cougar ?

I’m aiming to get there about half three and I’ve booked an escape room for half five ahead of attempting to achieve advanced states of fermented mental incompetence later into the night, so I’m likely to be somewhere around the Crown & Kettle between 4 and 5.

The drives would be cool but you’re more than welcome to skip by for a pint either way. As is anyone else I like too of course. Do I like anyone? I forget.

slowoldman

I retired about 3 years ago and haven’t felt the need to go back into Manchester yet (though T’n’T still beckons now and then). Is Port Street Beer House still good?

prettygreenparrot

Is Port Street Beer House still good?

Last time I was in there it was good for expensive ales and people taking about beer. I rarely go in but some friends still rate it.

@cougar
    crown & kettle on trinity way/Oldham street? I can be there around 16:00. Though I’ll have to be off fairly sharpish sadly as I’m out for dinner that evening and need to be ready and out of the house by 18:30.

I’ll be the one trying to blend in with the normal folks.

chakaping
    Free Member

Is Port Street Beer House still good?

I went on a quiet weekday night earlier this year, very good for quality and choice of beer, bit lacking in atmosphere but maybe just the post-work crowd emptying out by 7ish.

BillMC

I prefer the Smithfield Market Tavern to Port Street but generally pop into both on our little ale tours. Shall be doing that v soon and trying out the new Bundobust and staying in the new Motel One (as well located as the Midland but cheaper and a v good breakfast).

nbt

City Arms on Kennedy street (just round the back of the Town Hall) is my favourite pub in That Manchester, always a good, ever-changing selection of beers

binners

If not, avoid Piccadilly Gardens, St Ann’s Square and Exchange Square!

Piccadilly Gardens is bad enough at the best of times, but when the christmas markets are on its like the end of days, except even the book of revelations doesn’t mention having to pay a deposit on your receptacle to then be charged 8 quid for a beer

IHN

My dad used to work on Kennedy Street, fun fact.

BillMC

I’ve got some little wooden sculptures in the City Arms, fun fact.
    I second the comment about the Christmas and food market, just ghastly miasmas of caramelised sugar and pig fat.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.