Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Manchester’s new cycle lanes: Built by dossers.
  • inkster
    Free Member

Just cycled from Castlefield to Chorlton along 2 miles of washboard section. Never encountered newly laid tarmac that is so uneven.

Thoroughly unpleasant and uncomfortable. Build a segregated cycle lane and make it as unrideable as possible, (I’ll be looking for different routes in future, a thought echoed by the cyclist who ran the business I was visiting). Spent the entire journey wanting to cycle on the road but didn’t want to get into conflict with drivers.

As above; Built by dossers.

slowoldman

Seems to be par for the course with cycle lanes/paths.

scotroutes

You could play snooker on part of the cycle lane through Drumochter. Shame about the shitty bits either end though.

aP
    Free Member

Sounds like it’s outside specification. Your mayor is quite keen on cycling isn’t he? Twitter invite him to try it out…

crazy-legs

Report it to Manchester City Council and cc Chris Boardman and TfGM – he’s the Walking & Cycling Commissioner for Manchester. If you can take any pictures in daylight and post them on Twitter, that can often shame the council* into doing something more quickly.

* it won’t be “the council” it’ll be some contractor brought in by them but the principle is the same.

jkomo

‘Dosser!’ not used that since middle school, thanks I shall resurrect its usage at the earliest convenience, as well as ‘total doss’ as in ‘how was work? It was a total doss’.
    Some of the cycle lanes in oxford look like they have bomb damage, good only for bunny hop, manual practice.

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

Probably the same people that done the cycle lane/ bridle way next to the leigh guided bus way
    Shocking tarmac with a layer of kitty litter to cover it up

grum
    Free Member

To my mind dosser is a kind of derogatory term for homeless people – seems a weird fit for this thread.

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah, I think your splidding hairs a little bit there Alan.
    Sorry, splidding?

Built by dwads. And dossers.

Cougar

Is this a regional thing?

To me a “dosser” is a layabout. “What you up to?” – “oh, nowt, just dossing.” See also: Dole Dosser.

MoreCashThanDash

To me a “dosser” is a layabout. “What you up to?” – “oh, nowt, just dossing.”

Here too

However, if you think a cycle lane is unfit for purpose, invite Mr Boardman to check the finished article with the spec issued to the contract to ensure that there is no breach of contract or waste of public funds.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

* it won’t be “the council” it’ll be some contractor brought in by them but the principle is the same.

The council will manage the contract, probably under NEC3, the contractor should get a defect and told to fix it but the defects period is likely to be 12 months. In addition they may financially”settle” rather than insist on the fix. The council PM may or may not be arsed to make sure it’s done.

Publicly shaming then on social media is more likely to ensure the relevant parties attention

BillMC

I wasn’t sure if it was rough-sleepers or onanists.

irc

A bit of thread drift but as far as Glasgow is concerned the splurge of new seperated cycle lanes during Covid was a massive missed opportunity. They have typically been doe with a bit of paint and plastic bollards. There are fairly steep ramps when they pass bus stops.

As the only seperation from the main carriageway is bollards all the gravel, dirt, and broken glass ends up in the lanes which are not swept. Hence they are puncture magnets.

What they should have done? If there was space to remove a lane for a cycle lane then make it a bus lane. POssibly bus and cycle only. Not taxis. As well as the lanes being wider the buses would sweep the crap off the road. Buses are infrequent enough that sharing a lane with them isn’t a problem. I find the existing bus lanes are the best places to cycle in central Glasgow. I would have welocomed more of them rather than substandard bike lanes. And as mentioned above if you choose not to use a poor quality lane you get abuse from some drivers.

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Yep. Speak to Chris, arrange an appointment to meet him there. Show him what’s up, leave it with him.

One of the most quietly ambitious, ‘can do’ down to earth blokes I’ve ever spoken to.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Manchester’s new cycle lanes: Built by dossers.’ is closed to new replies.