• This topic has 16 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Manchester tops the cancer league for premature deaths
  • hora
    Free Member

Watching the news and Caroline Aherne was mentioned due to lung cancer (genetic though) and the reporter said Manchester tops the lung cancer table. WTF 😯

The number one cause was smoking. When are we going to ban this habit?

eightyeight
    Free Member

I’m seeing more and more of those e-cigarette things. Personally, having done a little research (paper based – I don’t smoke and not tried either nicotine delivery system) I think they could hopefully marginalise cigarettes even more, with little or no negative health effects.

binners

stumpyjon

Not sure about the little or no negative health effects as they still contain nicotine which is an insecticide. Don’t think anyway near enough research has been done to consider them safe. Probably contain less toxins than cigarettes though and yes hopefully they will marginalise smoking further.

binners

hora
    Free Member

you better still be ‘quit binners otherwise I’ll wedgie-you

johndoh
    Free Member

Not sure about the little or no negative health effects as they still contain nicotine which is an insecticide. Don’t think anyway near enough research has been done to consider them safe.

So much this – years ago doctors used to endorse brands of cigarettes before they fully understood the massive effects on health.

(Lost my mum to lung cancer – used to tell her as a kid to stop as I didn’t want her to die) 🙁

eightyeight
    Free Member

Happy to be corrected on this, but in the quantities we’re talking I don’t think it’s helpful to call it an ‘insecticide’. When compared to alcohol it’s a fairly benign drug – slightly raises heart rate, restricts blood and is of course massively addictive. But again compared to alcohol, fairly mild.

If the vapour delivery system is even half as harmful as the tar filled death sticks I would suggest they are a good thing (btw, I think they’re much less that half as harmful)

hora
    Free Member

So much this – years ago doctors used to endorse brands of cigarettes before they fully understood the massive effects on health.

I’m thinking this- zero regulation/laboratory controls. Do we know whats in all these syrups (they have warning notes on them too). For the main though E-Cigs just prolong the agony of craving/addiction. Rather than focusing on the short sharp shock of will power.

lemonysam
    Free Member

bigrich

Christies is an excellent facility

binners

Rather than focusing on the short sharp shock of will power.

Pfft! I don’t possess any willpower. And nicotine is very addictive. So I like a nicotine delivery system that I can sit in the pub puffing away on while I have a pint, read the paper, and annoy smoking nazi’s.

All the joy of smoking, without (as far as we know) the lung cancer. Whats not to like? I’ve got apple flavour at the moment.

hora
    Free Member

Well at least your off tabs for now.

binners

Well… sort of. Partly. Going for fully again, after 4 months of fully, then briefly going back to partly

Its complicated

almightydutch
    Free Member

Whats not to like?

Pubs smelling of, or rather not smelling of stale beer!!!

You bloody E cig people(erm well smoking ban really) have ruined the Great British drinking establishments!!!!

P.S. Been on patches for just over a month now. Its nice to have my lungs back when riding.

hora
    Free Member

Well your going the right way.

Lost my mum to lung cancer – used to tell her as a kid to stop as I didn’t want her to die

Apologies for using the quote- this should help motivate you binners. I’ve been tempted once or twice after Zach was born but I want him to have me around and functioning for him when hes older 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Manchester tops the cancer league for premature deaths’ is closed to new replies.