Manchester to Blackpool on MTB?

Home Forum Bike Forum Manchester to Blackpool on MTB?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Manchester to Blackpool on MTB?
  • Premier Icon jamesgarbett
    Subscriber

Might be doing this in the summer for charity

Don’t have a road bike or want one

I’m guessing I’d be advised to put some slick tyres on the 29er?

Premier Icon MSP
    Subscriber

It’s only about 50 miles, hardly worth buying tires for.

khani

When I did it there were loads on MTB’s, most had road tyres on but not all, some were on DH bikes some were on BSO’s..
    It’s doable on almost anything, it’s how long you want it to take that’s important..

robj20

I did it on a 38lb FS bike with 2.25 high rollers on, easy enough to be honest. Its incredibly boring though, i wanted to do it each year but once was enough.

Premier Icon terrahawk
    Subscriber

I’ve done it on an MTB with slicks.
    perhaps the most dangerous and chaotic ride I’ve ever witnessed. Good luck.

I used to do it on my full sus Cannondale EST in the early 90’s when I first started mtbing. I’d spent everything I had (I was 15) on the bike and couldn’t afford a pair of slicks so I did it on specialized ground control extreme 2.5’s!

wors

perhaps the most dangerous and chaotic ride I’ve ever witnessed. Good luck.

+1

It’s friggin mental!

Premier Icon jamesgarbett
    Subscriber

Wors and Terrahawk:

Why so dangerous?

robj20

Probably the fact they don’t shut the roads down and lots of cyclists just abuse the road. It would be fine except you get lots jumping the lights, riding well into the middle of the road and even the other side.

hjghg5

+2 on it being mental. My OH has refused to ever do it again.

jekkyl

Is it this one?
    http://www.bike-events.com/Ride.aspx?id=411

8000 riders sounds like fun.

wors

Pretty much what Rob said. Riders riding 6/7 abreast on some parts of the route. I’ve never felt sorry for a car driver getting held up by a bike until that day!

monkeychild

I did a 100 mile sportive on my el mariachi and it was all good. (I did have Halo twin rail tyres on) I’ve done the Manc Blackpool twice and by eck it was carnage at the beginning bits.

Premier Icon jamesgarbett
    Subscriber

Aye that’s the one

Ran into this lot last year (very nearly anyway), was coming round a pretty blind corner and came face to face with about 6 cyclists in my lane coming in the opposite direction. Good job I wasn’t going that fast otherwise it could have been nasty. I must say that they should really have closed the roads for this as there are so many cyclists with absolutely no road sense that seem to participate.

OP it’s for a good cause, enjoy, but please ride safe.

Premier Icon simmy
    Subscriber

Yeah I live on the route and its chaos.

Takes about 2 hours for everyone to filter through. Its for the Christie so its a brilliant cause, but the issue is regular riders mixing with people who just want a go, I think.

Causes faster riders to get impatient and do daft things. The Night ride for BHF is getting popular as well.

Standing at the side of the road at 1 am with hundreds of bikes coming down the hill 1/4 mile away was an awesome sight.

Manchester to Blackpool on a MTB should be off road to Preston by law 😀 I’ve done the ride to Blackpool a few times on the MTB and it’s alright, just easier in the Road Bike.

Premier Icon Bunnyhop
    Subscriber

James – I’ve done this event twice, both times on my hardtail, with nobbly tyres. I did get told off by someone for riding a section of ‘off road’ inside Haigh hall grounds’, ha ha.

You’ll be fine.

Only danger was the mountain of slippery banana skins left behind by the riders.

number18

I’ve ridden Mirfield to Bridlington on a HT with off road tyres. 85 miles mostly flat and was ok.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Manchester to Blackpool on MTB?’ is closed to new replies.