• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by TimK.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Manchester commute this morning- Lethal
  • hora
    Free Member

Ice, **** sheet ice in places. Deceptive, when you look out of the window it looks mild! Fell sideways when my front wheel washed out so I now need a new Giro Atmos, diesel patches EVERYWHERE but at least I talked to a cute-female rider on the way in! 😀

Edit- I’ve just checked. A replacement Atmos is 50quid!! Do I really need to buy a new one? Sideways fall onto tarmac. ok ok.

snakebite
    Free Member

yep, off twice for me and several feet out moments. Roads looked ok at first but were not. Luckily my offs were on the pavement….

hora
    Free Member

It’ll be thawed for the journey home I hope!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Edit- I’ve just checked. A replacement Atmos is 50quid!! Do I really need to buy a new one? Sideways fall onto tarmac.

No, probably not.

hora
    Free Member

Thinking about it- no signs of damage but one more knock and it will fail so then I’ll know to bin. Its hardly going to disintegrate BEFORE I hit the ground is it?!

juan
    Free Member

It’s your head hoora.
    One the other hand due to your posting the real question is: do you ahve something to protect?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Giro crash replacement policy is very good!

hora
    Free Member

Crah protection is very good- it used to be £30 now its £50 for a Atmos dammit!!

frenchjuan, I used to commute without a helmet upto a year ago and this morning I even considered riding in just a woolly hat. ****. My head was protected…..just for you x

fatblokeattheback
    Free Member

Just off for a ride around Hebden, should be fun !

trevorx
    Free Member

Hora, the internal poly in your helmet will have compressed (assuming you hit thew floor reasonably hard). If you were to fall off and bash the same place on your helmet there’d be no helmet compresion so it would hurt. Rest of helmet will be OK though.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

the real question is: do you ahve something to protect?

It’s a very good point, you know.

Good to see your libido hasn’t been affected!

Check your helmet (fnar). Are there any obvious signs of damage? If so, then replace. If not, then should be ok.

Peter- member that bloke who cracked his helmet? Big bloke? Bloody hell, I nearly sh1t meself. That was a right sickening ‘crack’!

hora
    Free Member

trevorx – Member

Hora, the internal poly in your helmet will have compressed (assuming you hit thew floor reasonably hard). If you were to fall off and bash the same place on your helmet there’d be no helmet compresion so it would hurt. Rest of helmet will be OK though.

It’ll be fine then. I think I’ll use one of my less fancy helmets for commuting from now on though.

JonBurns
    Free Member

Missus picked up a nice Scott Helmet from evans for £35 on Saturday, might be worth a look.

ourmaninthenorth

I was on the bus today (the bike still being in work). On Oxford Road just near Edin Bike Co-op, I looked across to the cycle path (wiching I could be on my bike) when I saw some guy lose it fully on the ice and thump down onto the floor.

The two peds he had just moved around (causing his crash) casually walked up to him, picked his bike up and then carried on.

I hope it isn’t like that on the way to and from the track tonight….

juan
    Free Member

Helmet are here to protect your brain first. I case of hora the question whether or not he has a brain is a fair one to ask.

r0bh
    Free Member

I was on the bus today (the bike still being in work). On Oxford Road just near Edin Bike Co-op, I looked across to the cycle path (wiching I could be on my bike) when I saw some guy lose it fully on the ice and thump down onto the floor.

I came in via Oxford Road this morning and didn’t notice any ice at all. Was it where the cycle track goes through the park? That can be dodgy so I carried on along the road this morning, but I looked across and it seemed to be OK.

hora
    Free Member

Juan, Im a himbo of course I dont have a brain. Only a sexdrive and a lust to shop 🙂

Hmmmm I must have hit my head harder than I thought 😐

Stu

Mine was fun. I like Edinburgh…

TimK

My Manchester – Birchwood commute was lethal too, several foot out moments but managed to stay on the bike, although foot out moments on a fixie are interesting 😮

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Manchester commute this morning- Lethal’ is closed to new replies.