Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Managing Strava feed
  • convert

That friend you know who occasionally does a really interesting ride at the weekend that it’s good see but has his upload setting set to everything and spams your feed with 10 events a day (commutes in and out and as a personal trainer every spinning class or activity session he does).

Is there anything you can do on Strava between tolerating all the chaff and completely unfollowing him?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Unfollow, or simply only Kudos stuff that meets your Kudos criteria eg. segment PBs of note.

Part of the problem is that many Strava challenges require activities to be visible to all, otherwise I’d happily hide all my pootle-level commutes, just like I hide my delivery activities (but want to get a rough idea of their affect on fatigue levels).

Some of my few followers simply Kudos everything visible; others only my outdoor rides with power intervals; others never my turbo rides (despite them using my outdoor power meter or the pretty accurate Direto PM).

disco_stu
    Free Member

It’s been a feature request since 2015 and something I would love to see, I’m sure people aren’t really that interested in seeing my commute either, as n0b0dy0ftheg0at says for rides to count towards a target they have to be public.

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/208851557-Hide-Commutes-from-the-Activity-Feed-but-still-count-towards-my-stats

Sadly Strava seems to be removing features ( bluetooth sensors ) rather than adding anything new.

convert

Reading that request I’m glad it’s not just me!

Just looked at my feed again. Of the last 40 items in my feed 26 are by the same person and of that only 1 is actually of any interest. Of the remaining 14, twelve are dull commutes. So that is 3 vaguely worthy entries in the last 40. It is Friday I appreciate and it will look different by Sunday evening.

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

I never Kudos indoor trainer workouts. It’s not real cycling is it 🚴‍♀️🚴‍♀️🔥🔥🔥

hooli

If you use Chrome look for the Strava enhancement suite extension, gives you options to hide certain types of rides. Doesn’t help on the app though.

whitestone
    Free Member

I only give kudos to rides where the individual has done something outstanding “for them” so if someone regularly does 100km rides then those won’t get kudos unless they’ve a batch of KOMs or top ten cups on it. If they do a 200km then they are more likely to get kudos.

Commutes and turbo rides never get kudos. I had one of those following me give kudos on every single route despite me giving them names like “Just another effing commute!” and “It’s just a commute, morons!” he didn’t take the hint but he is a bit weird anyway. There’s a button to “flag” a ride as a commute but I don’t think it does anything, be nice if it prevented spurious handing out of kudos.

A mate was one of those helicoptered off the Ride London course a couple of years ago. Serious head injuries, he got back into riding. Last year he suffered a cardiac arrest, actually multiple arrests whilst on the way to hospital. He’s back riding – he gets kudos.

convert

I only give kudos to rides where the individual has done something outstanding “for them” so if someone regularly does 100km rides then those won’t get kudos unless they’ve a batch of KOMs or top ten cups on it. If they do a 200km then they are more likely to get kudos.

This is me. I’m actually more likely to comment than give kudos, especially if there is an interesting bit of the route that I’d like information on.

Personally I have my privacy setting to ‘just me’ by default and only make activities available to view when I think them interesting to others. Not sure what I’m missing out by doing this. Sees like that should be the default setting.

petec
    Free Member

I only Kudos a special ride/run. I only follow 15 people, mostly family.

And if people clog my timeline, I stop following them. And yes, I’m ‘just me’ for default which enables me to put hikes etc on. Stuff that won’t have segments, and only the auto-kudos people would like.

Strava is really just for me – tracking my progress against myself. I don’t really care about what other people do (albeit slightly jealous of the amount of free time some seem to have).

There’s an element of all social media about it all. Some people need to prove what they do to a multitude of people they don’t really know (cf FaceGram etc). Others….don’t. They just get on with life. But everyone’s different – neither is right.

benp1

I feel a little bad about this

I do mostly commutes but with some interesting stuff thrown in. I want to record the commutes but don’t want to make a big deal of them to the few that bother to follow me

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

what are these dull commutes you speak of? an amusing ride title and a pic snapped en route and hey presto, it’s not dull anymore.

(Hint: unfollow them)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I never Kudos indoor trainer workouts. It’s not real cycling is it 🚴‍♀️🚴‍♀️🔥🔥🔥

+1

I mean c’mon.

Out for a night ride on the road in october with fog and leaves all over the road – kudos

30 miles on Zwift, I don’t care if you had enough computing power to run NASA and came 53’rd in the bawbagger’s king george the 7th mount zwift 5am 2-2.2WKG #zwiftpower 3:10 WCT race. You’re on your turbo and it doesn’t count and I may even post a comment to tell you how nice the weather is outside and that if you spent your subscription on a nice jacket you could be outside or that at least if you went to the gym you could stare at some real humans arses for an hour.

scotroutes

Out for a night ride on the road in october with fog and leaves all over the road – kudos

30 miles on Zwift, I don’t care if you had enough computing power to run NASA and came 53’rd in the bawbagger’s king george the 7th mount zwift 5am 2-2.2WKG #zwiftpower 3:10 WCT race. You’re on your turbo and it doesn’t count and I may even post a comment to tell you how nice the weather is outside and that if you spent your subscription on a nice jacket you could be outside or that at least if you went to the gym you could stare at some real humans arses for an hour.

lunge

You lot would hate me.
    I lost everything on there, running, gym work, commutes, Zwift and even the odd bike ride.
    But that’s what it’s for isn’t it, recording data. And I sure as hell don’t expect a kudos from anyone for most of it.

minimind
    Free Member

Exactly so.

convert

You lot would hate me.
    I lost everything on there, running, gym work, commutes, Zwift and even the odd bike ride.
    But that’s what it’s for isn’t it, recording data. And I sure as hell don’t expect a kudos from anyone for most of it.

But do you expect all your friends who follow you see it all or do you just set viewable settings to ‘just me’. The social media aspect of strava is pointless if everyone behaves like that.

imnotverygood

The problem is that strava won’t let you record stuff like distance for challenges unless you make it public. They also have provided the ability to log something as a commute, but not to filter it out in any way. This stuff could easly be solved if you had the option to follow people but filter out certain types of activities.

MSP

The social media aspect of strava is pointless if everyone behaves like that.

It is stravas problem to fix, I mark my commutes as such automatically, but that doesn’t mean anything if strava don’t let you hide commutes as an option. I shouldn’t have to log on and change settings after every activity.

People have been requesting it for over 5 years, it would be simple to implement, but they are ignoring their user base. In fact I rarely look at strava these days, my activities sill get uploaded, but they have lost me as a paying user for such an obvious feature and a simple fix.

sirromj

Checked the Strava Community Standards can’t find anything about self censoring rides because some people might find them boring.

footflaps

They also have provided the ability to log something as a commute,

That requires you to log in and update the status of each ride, which I can never be arsed to do. My Polar watch just uploads each ride the minute I finish with no input from me.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I don’t Kudos Zwift and other garage related activities. Still spams my feed with them.

Everything I do is followers only. No leaderboards, no challenges, no heatmap, and I find it much better that way. Takes away the competition element and keeps sensitive trails off the map. Though I could just not use Strava now, but all my past ride history is in there and the equipment tracking.

Still though, my followers will be spammed by my stuff and vice versa. Doesn’t seem to matter about kudos given, though the order they appear in the feed seems to vary now they’ve done a half-baked attempt at social media feed that isn’t in chronological order. Again, still get Zwift crap though.

Strava moan – still no MTB activity type in Strava. Been years requested and ignored. Yet plenty of other types like commuting, zwift, e-bikes even. Though as said, not being on leaderboards etc, it’s less relevant.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Managing Strava feed’ is closed to new replies.