Managers who are cocks!

Home Forum Chat Forum Managers who are cocks!

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Managers who are cocks!
  • DT78

Funny how management appears to be a dirty word. The situation should dictate the right approach. Not much leadership required in linear structural situations. Take health and safety. Do you want a manager or leader?
    Well it depends … Managers work within defined processes to make them as efficient and effective as possible. You actually need more people like this than you might think.

Oh and you get idiots in all roles and walks of life.

I imagine occassionally I am referred to as an idiot, but sadly I cannot keep everybody happy. Sometimes its about doing the least worst thing

Premier Icon gofasterstripes
    Subscriber

OK. Are you not going to reply to my questions DT78?

Premier Icon surroundedbyhills
    Subscriber

buzz-lightyear – Member

Don’t manage; lead.

I give you General Custer.

Subscriber

Or you, surroundedbyhills?

DT78

Afraid I’ve not read your long post I’m dipping into this thread in breaks at a conference

Subscriber

‘k. Well, if you have any thoughts – I love data to grind 🙂

Also – everyone needs a little funky Cornish Reggae/Dub

http://backbeatsoundsystem.bandcamp.com/track/daily-grime

Premier Icon surroundedbyhills
    Subscriber

GFS – see what that band need is a good manager, that way we all would have heard of them!!! 😀

Subscriber

Right, ‘cos what we really need is another One Direction 🙄

dannyh

The comment about management being a skill not everyone is born with chimes with me.

My first (and only so far) experience of managing a team was not a happy one. I found I was too nice to them, and too honest to my boss (who just wanted someone to blame directly for the poor performance of that team). I ended up doing loads of work that my team should have been doing because, for example, what can you say when someone is half way out of the door leaving stuff unfinished and says “if I don’t pick my daughter up from school she’ll be left standing there”?

My predecessor had basically lied and evaded when quizzed by the higher manager about basic security and fraud-prevention checks that she should have done, but took ages to do properly. She had handily moved (been promoted) just as a second wave of bad practice was about to become apparent.

I think one of my major failings in career progression is my inability to tell a lie!

Also, the success of a manager depends greatly on the motivation and personalities of the team they are leading – good, self-motivated people are obviously a lot easier to manage than people who work solely to rule, try to evade doing anything unless directly supervised and generally don’t give a toss!

lilchris

Those who can, do.
    Those who can’t, manage.

atlaz

adults who ‘tell off’ other adults are fair game to be knocked the **** out, IMO.

And therein lies the problem. In the same way there are lots of shit managers, there are lots of shit employees who feel that their manager getting onto them about stuff they do wrong is some failing of their manager. Sometimes it is, but some people are just shit and need to take responsibility for their own problems be they manager or employee.

atlaz

Chris wrote:

Those who can, do.
    Those who can’t, manage.

Looking at it another way, as a manager you should always hire people to do a specific job who are better at it than you could be. If you hire someone who can’t do their job better than you can, you hired the wrong person.

Premier Icon bungle
    Subscriber

Those who can, do.
    Those who can’t, manage.

Those who can, do.
    Those who can’t do, teach.
    Those who can’t teach, manage.
    Those who can’t manage, project manage.

FTFY

TooTall

Don’t manage; lead.

You sort of need a bit of management in order to lead.

As said up there, there are numpties at every level.

project

Said interface with cock end was entirely my fault as we were walking across the factory floor fully vizzed up but missing a couple of ear plugs. The noise in the factory is minimal but because its constant “ear protection is required” our walk across the floor took all of ten seconds. He had an audience and clearly was gonna stamp his authority on these two builder scrotes .

should have said to him sorry i cant hear you im a bit deaf.

A mate got told a few weeks ago, that the safety bots he had bought where seen as to agressive for the job, of handynman in a nursing home , and he should wear shoes,with steel toecaps, just the same as the boots but shoes.

Tom_W1987

You know the one who has to show the people who he’s currently talking with who’s boss, by berrating others! Unfortunately I was on the receiving end and would gladly have let my psycho sidekick groundworker loose on him, but my better judgement kicked in!
    Cock!

Should try working in a kitchen, was still doing it part time as a second job to earn some extra money but the head chef went psycho for the last time. I flipped and walked out.

Seriously, they all think they’re Gordon **** Ramsey.

I know, it’s a trite remark, but it serves to illustrate that management without leadership is not uncommon; perhaps why “management” is “a dirty word”. What do you think leadership is?

1. Actually quite hard to define!
    2. Having some idea what to do and persuading others
    3. Something to do with getting people to perform
    4. Suggest your own…

TooTall

buzz – my definition of good leadership that I tried to attain:

In my old job, I could make people do things because of the rank structure.
    Leadership was making them want to do things.

I expect many will not get that.

Leadership was making them want to do things.

+1

jekkyl

Tom_W1987 – Should try working in a kitchen, was still doing it part time as a second job to earn some extra money but the head chef went psycho for the last time. I flipped and walked out.

dish the goss Tom, I’m at work & being poorly managed surfing the web, I need goss to get through the day.

Very easy to have a go at managers – and often justified. But it might be interesting to see the boot on the other foot?

I wonder how well some of the “all managers are numpties” brigade here would do at taking some responsibilities for others actions themselves.

Just saying 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Managers who are cocks!’ is closed to new replies.