Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • Man stuck up chimney
  • globalti
    Free Member

If I was the coroner I would be questioing his friends and family to try to get a better idea of his state of mind before he drank the alcohol.

coppice
    Free Member

Where has it said he was drinking? He could have just been taking pictures?

globalti
    Free Member

I dunno – somebody suggested that alcohol was involved. Either that or he was an Urbexer doing it for the bragging rights; there are plenty of chimney climbs documented on 28dayslater.

footflaps

Must be up for the 2019 Darwin award?

Was the first thing I thought when I read about it….

wwaswas

somebody suggested that alcohol was involved. Either that or he was an Urbexer

I’m working on the assumption that he had mental health issues and will avoid speculation until further information becomes available that contradicts this.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m still waiting for some idiot to try it while the big chimney is still standing at Didcot. Thats 199m tall.
    They did it a while back as a protest.

taxi25
    Free Member

Unless we as a society have a radical rethink re. our attitude towards alcohol this won’t change. 

What like bring in prohibition, that works well doesn’t it. A man did something stupid and sadly payed the ultimate price for that stupidity. It happens and always will some people are just wired that way.

Stevet1
    Free Member

stupid question probably, but video footage shows him dangling by the ladder which presumably he climbed up, why couldn’t rescuers climb up and if not get him down at least give him some support and a coat?

Moses

The ladder is presumably 150 years old and considered unsafe to use

taxi25
    Free Member

why couldn’t rescuers climb up and if not get him down at least give him some support and a coat?

Got to assume an assessment considered this was unsafe. If the ladder was robust maybe possible but the commander has to consider the safety of his officers.

outofbreath
    Free Member

stupid question probably, but video footage shows him dangling by the ladder which presumably he climbed up, why couldn’t rescuers climb up and if not get him down at least give him some support and a coat?

We don’t know, but I’m guessing the ladder was damaged/not safe to climb. (It looks to me like it’s pulled away at the top which is may be how/why the guy ended up in that state.)

As you say if there had been a secure ladder they could at least have had someone up there talking to him ergo there can’t have been.

zilog6128

What like bring in prohibition, that works well doesn’t it. A man did something stupid and sadly payed the ultimate price for that stupidity. It happens and always will some people are just wired that way.

why are you talking about prohibition? I am merely suggesting that if going out & getting so drunk you end up killing yourself (or someone else) becomes less socially acceptable, then less people will do it. (Exactly as has happened with drink driving, sexism, smoking, smacking children, etc)

bruneep

null

mashr

wwaswas

Subscriber
    I’m working on the assumption that he had mental health issues and will avoid speculation until further information becomes available that contradicts this.

I cant tell if this post is speculation, not speculation, or sarcasm

Drac

Haha! Bruneep.

retro83
    Free Member

bruneep

Subscriber

😉

footflaps

Also, who would climb up a rusting unsafe ladder with a 16 stone pissed idiot hanging right above you who could fall at any minute taking you with him?

outofbreath
    Free Member

Also, who would climb up a rusting unsafe ladder with a human being right above you who could fall at any minute taking you with him?

Nice point. Even if the ladder was safe before the incident it certainly wasn’t with the Sword of Damocles hanging at the top. 🙁

Tragic.

wrightyson
    Free Member

He was clearly a fit lad no matter whether he’s been on the ale or not. 90m up a vertical is not done easily.
    But as I said before a very sad outcome which on another day may have been telling all your mates on Monday morning about what you got up to on Sunday night.

swedishmetal
    Free Member

The chimney was restored recently so the ladder was probably in pretty good condition.

Unfortunately sometimes these sorts of structures are often a long standing “dare” to climb up, couple that with too many Stellas and you’ve got someone who used to be fit bragging and going through with a very dangerous climb beyond their physical ability at the time. Fred Dibnah started by climbing a chimney which he shouldn’t have been doing – the 262ft Barrow bridge one for a bet when he was young.

Probably been quite a few people done it over the years with no ill effect but that’s probably through luck more than anything else.

This guy might have got to the top and while moving around on the top of the ladder slipped and got caught in the ropes.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I think killing or being killed is pretty socially unacceptable already.

marcus
    Free Member

The ladders look like temporary Steeplejack ones, so it looks like someone has unfortunately taken advantage of them for a little adventure. I’ll be interested to know if the rescue team involved people from a steeplejack firm ? – It does seem odd that someone didn’t just climb up, clip a harness around him an lower him down.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I suspect he planned a grand exit from this world off the chimney top but fell and became entangled in the ladder.

The results of the PM should be interesting from a physiological stand point.

Very sad event.

taxi25
    Free Member

I am merely suggesting that if going out & getting so drunk you end up killing yourself (or someone else) becomes less socially acceptable, then less people will do it.

I don’t think getting drunk and killing yourself or others has ever been socially acceptable. But I don’t think it was necessarily massively excessive drinking that killed this man (he did manage to climb nearly 100m up a ladder) but his impulsive risk taking personality. How does society alter that ?

derek_starship
    Free Member

I don’t think alcohol has the pharmokinetics to drive somebody to do this.
    And if in excess would have impaired the ability to scale the ladder.

I suspect psychoactives were involved.

Again – PM should be interesting along with a back story.

I’m not being ghoulish. Just want to know why/how/what. It’s such a unique
    incident.

Death by inversion

Tallpaul
    Free Member

You mean pharmacodynamics. Pharmacokinetics is what the body does to the drug (ie absorb, distrubute, metabolise and excrete it).

Alcohol could easily cause someone to hold the false confidence that climbing a tall chimney is possible. I’ve certainly experienced a sweet spot when drunk when I’ve passed rationality and still have the physical faculties to behave irrationaly. Adrenaline will carry you a fair way too, once you’ve put yourself in a dangerous situation.

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ve certainly experienced a sweet spot when drunk when I’ve passed rationality and still have the physical faculties to behave irrationaly. 

Mines 2-3 pints, I’m glad I don’t walk past a steeple on my way home from the pub 😈😈

jam-bo

I’ve certainly experienced a sweet spot when drunk when I’ve passed rationality and still have the physical faculties to behave irrationaly. Adrenaline will carry you a fair way too, once you’ve put yourself in a dangerous situation.

and climbing up a ladder is way easier than climbing down it…

dissonance

It does seem odd that someone didn’t just climb up, clip a harness around him an lower him down.

The reports were that the ladder was damaged and so unsafe. Both for someone climbing up and for the helicopter getting close enough to winch.

maccruiskeen

Adrenaline will carry you a fair way too, once you’ve put yourself in a dangerous situation.

Spinal Injury wards are full of anecdotes of drink and bravado

oliverracing

Adrenaline will carry you a fair way too, once you’ve put yourself in a dangerous situation.

There’s a line near campus that I’d looked at riding 20+ times but always wimped out on, it involved a steep set of stairs with a 45 degree 1/2 way down, then riding along a 10m long 40cm wide wall to “drop in” on a ramp about 1m below which led into a really nice natural tabletop followed by a berm, completely doable but the risk was pretty high as the stairs had a very low railing and the wall had a 3m drop to one side, but we’d theorised that carrying speed would make it awesome! Did it one night after about 6 pints when riding back from the pub on the SS hack bike, was awesome and flowed beautifully. Never summoned the courage to do it again, I even bailed 1/2 way along the wall twice (to the safe side).

v8ninety

Regarding the ‘why didn’t they just…’ questions; bear in mind that the appetite for a body recovery is very different to that for a live rescue. I suspect that the emergency services had a very good idea of the individuals condition from the helo sortie; after that I don’t think that anyone was rushing. This bloke had been topless, upside down in a very exposed position for several hours before he was spotted. It was never going to have a happy ending.

Drac

I don’t think alcohol has the pharmokinetics to drive somebody to do this.

You’d be wrong then. People do incredible stupid things when drunk.

No idea if that was why he did this but it stands be quite possible.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Breaking news : Drac* concludes that somebody else is wrong.

*aka The Oracle.

jam-bo

People do incredible stupid things when drunk.

And most of the time they get away with it.

When I was about 17-18 we used to take a shortcut back from the pub to my mates house via an abandoned railway bridge across a river. It was rotten, sketchy and pretty much two steel beams left over a 20ft drop into a river. We got away with it.

5 yrs later his little brother went missing on his way home from the pub. No one knows exactly what happened but given they found him a few miles downstream a few days later I’ve got a good idea. He made the national news too.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I cant tell if this post is speculation, not speculation, or sarcasm

More like the whole 2 pages are mainly speculation.

All those hours hanging on a chimney in freezing temperatures, I reckon his death was flue related!

funkmasterp

Just sad regardless of how it occurred. Feel for his family.

woody2000

Funkmaster+1. Horrible for all concerned 🙁

maccruiskeen

Breaking news : Drac* concludes that somebody else is wrong

Derek – your presumption is that an external factor like drink or a drug would ‘drive’ someone to take an action. Drink and drugs don’t have ideas for you. What drink or any other intoxicant can do is take away an inhibition. You might want to do something anyway and the only thing stopping you is that you’re sober. The drink, or anything else, just stops you from stopping yourself.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Man stuck up chimney’ is closed to new replies.