Man stuck up chimney

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • Man stuck up chimney
  • retro83

Sadly not santa but some other poor git.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-50207301

Not too envious of the guy taking the 100m cherry picker up there either tbh 👀

Premier Icon siwhite
    Subscriber

My god – I hired a cherry picker once and thought I’d take it up to full height to take some pics of the house. Horrid thing – couldn’t get above about seven metres as it was wobbling and bouncing all over the place…

Surely that cherry picker is a photoshop????!!!!??

I hope there isn’t much wind up there. Apart from maybe the dangling blokes pants – I’d be filling my trousers at that height to be sure!

retro83

Yes, balls of steel going up there. Surprised such a thing even exists.

Guess the poor chap who’s stuck has either passed away or is at least seriously unwell given how long he’s been unresponsive up there 🙁

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

Do we know how he got up there?

wrightyson

That is a proper boom. They have some big o es during the golf coverage but that’s a beast! That’ll be on a full lorry bed I presume.

I guess he’s probably passed out after the constant screaming and multiple involuntary bowel movements.

Surely that cherry picker is a photoshop????!!!!??

Nope.

I’ve hired that machine for window surveys on a 23 storey block of flats.

It’s a Bronto Skylift SLA. About £5k a day.

regenesis

He won’t be alive.
    Won’t have been for some time either.

retro83

I would think so too, sounds like they’ve got him down.

He won’t be alive.

Sadly, that was my thought. He’s been up there since closing time last night with no shirt on. It was -1 at street level this morning. Poor sod.

Do we know how he got up there?

Time of first report was 2:20am so I’m guessing a few drinks were involved, physically, via the (damaged) ladder?

regenesis

News just reported they’ve got him down.
    That’s some beer jacket if he’s not spannered.

retro83

Now confirmed that he’s dead 🙁

Sad outcome, saw the cherrypicker up there this afternoon as I went past, the chimney is absolutely massive, god only knows how long it took him to climb up there in the first place.

News is saying he has died. 😳☹️

Not surprisingly really but still tragic.

Premier Icon NewRetroTom
    Subscriber

What a horrific way to die. Alone, terrified and in a world of pain. Poor guy.

regenesis

Seriously – he wouldn’t have known much.
    Inverted – you’re talking a very short time before both his brain and organs start shutting down.

wrightyson

Someone unfortunately is going to have to answer a whole load of questions as to how hes been able to access the climb. Will be really shit for that person but that’s how things are going.

revs1972

I bet old Fred Dibnah would have taken that in his stride.

Been up around 140 ft in a picker, that was bloody scary enough.

Inverted – you’re talking a very short time before both his brain and organs start shutting down.

Someone unfortunately is going to have to answer a whole load of questions as to how hes been able to access the climb.

in my completely uneducated view, the only person who should be answering the hard questions is the incident commander who saw an inverted man hanging from the chimney, told the Heli crew to back off and ordered the cherry picker in from a hundred miles away.

Unless he was dead by the time the heli got there, in which case fair enough.

avdave2

I assume the issue with helicopter was they couldn’t know how well attached he was and the downdraught  could have had him falling to the ground or if well attached swinging around at the end of a rope smashing into the chimney.

Very sad story and hugely frustrating and tough for the emergency services having to watch while knowing there was nothing they could do.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

Bit early for blaming the emergency services for someone dying before they could save him from a very precarious position he’d put himself in.

Premier Icon andy4d
    Subscriber

@the generalist.

In true STW fashion a guy appears to of climbed a chimney unauthorised, got into trouble of his own accord and the emergency services sent to try and rescue him (without killing themselves in the process) are to blame somehow? Go figure.

Sad situation but i dont see why the emergency services have anything to answer.

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

Bit early for blaming the emergency services for someone dying before they could save him from a very precarious position he’d put himself in.

No that’s perfectly normal in my experience

joshvegas

in my completely uneducated view

Dicking* about at that height isn’t something you sign your crew** up yo without some sort of safe plan.

Its sad and awful but no matter what way you cut putting more people at risk because of one persons actions drunk or otherwise is not acceptable***

*Dicking about in the sense of “winging it”

**People like Bruneep^

***It might be okay but the risks are high!

wrightyson

n my completely uneducated view, the only person who should be answering the hard questions is the incident commande

Wasnt referring to the emergency services in any way, and the decisions they make are usually born through huge experience and training.

The person/s who are going to be getting it in the neck are anybody involved with the site itself, especially if it was under some kind of construction work. If it is found in anyway to be unsecure etc someone is going to be facing some very serious questioning and even prison time. I presume the place will be crawling with the hse now.

Very sad for all involved, especially if it was some post pub shenanigans.

Sorry. I shouldn’t be posting on here like this.

As you were.

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

wrightyson

…The person/s who are going to be getting it in the neck are anybody involved with the site itself…

If it was a kid up there, fair enough, but an adult who voluntarily put himself in that position?

Why do we need a scapegoat?

mashr

I’m going for “death by misadventure” and nothing much else coming from it

If it was a kid up there, fair enough, but an adult who voluntarily put himself in that position?

Not all adults make good, rational, grown up  decisions.

Especially ones who are pissed.

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

Why do we need a scapegoat

because its always someone else’s fault.

just look at the Grenfell report.

wrightyson

Why do we need a scapegoat?

I never mentioned anyone being a scapegoat and I’ve always been firmly on the side of “you shouldn’t have been there” but I know fully well how these things work and are investigated.

If hes wandered in easily and hopped on the bottom of the unguarded chimney ladder then someone is going to get grief, if hes scaled a 3m hoarded fence and dismantled barriers to get to the bottom of the ladder then it’s a different matter.

I did read in a local rag type article that he was still alive at 8am as hed communicated via the police drone, if that’s the case its worse than previously thought.

However it ends up it’s a very sad outcome for all involved.

Technical question: Several people have hinted that hanging upside down kills quicker. Is that true? What’s the mechanism for that? Does exposure kill faster upside down? Or is it something else? (My google-fu was weak on this one.)

If he’s wandered in easily and hopped on the bottom of the unguarded chimney ladder then someone is going to get grief, if hes scaled a 3m hoarded fence and dismantled barriers to get to the bottom of the ladder then it’s a different matter.

From the news last night it sounds closer to the latter than the former.

nealglover

If hes wandered in easily and hopped on the bottom of the unguarded chimney ladder then someone is going to get grief, if hes scaled a 3m hoarded fence and dismantled barriers to get to the bottom of the ladder then it’s a different matter.

Seems fair enough. ?

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes
    Subscriber

Must be up for the 2019 Darwin award?

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

Must be up for the 2019 Darwin award?

and theres the post that appears on every thread like this

whitestone

@outofbreath – I think (stress *think*) that it’s because the organs in the lower abdomen press onto the diaphragm and lungs when you are inverted and you slowly asphyxiate. There might be something associated with blood flow as well as there aren’t the strong muscles in the neck and head to push the blood back against gravity.

Back when I was climbing if someone had fallen and was unconscious then the first act after checking for broken spine would be to get them upright.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

There are always going to be some people who drink way too much and do something stupid. Occasionally someone dies. Unless we as a society have a radical rethink re. our attitude towards alcohol this won’t change. Tbh if a man in his 50s hasn’t learnt how to handle his booze that is a pretty sad reflection of things IMO.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.