Man skills

Home Forum Chat Forum Man skills

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 160 total)
  • Man skills
  • Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

Today I cleaned up.

In other news, I have some doors now and some lighting.

A bit camp.

Mega-camp death star

A bit less camp

Progress may be slow, but it is being done with wages alone!

Jamie

What you have there is essentially the lighting fixture equivalent of….

Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

Today, 11 months on, I bought my first piece of furniture!

I appreciate this may not seem significant, but it is to me πŸ™‚

Tomorrow I order my first bit of carpet/fitting as well and next week, I discuss finer details of windows and doors, with a view to sign on dotted line…it’s just all all go-go-go*

*money, that is.

Subscriber

Today I am shitting rainbows; the bedroom is finished!*

*New furniture is needed obviously and pole & curtains are on order (thanks Bunnyhop for some advice last year) but I am so, so, so, so pleased to have a room that is carpeted – oh the luxury πŸ™‚

My house (ok, the bank’s house) at last, looks vaguely habitable, in one room.

Thank you all for the advice from here in various threads, it’s really appreciated. (this is also a caveat there are more to come!)

Also, for some advice, any suggestions what to do with the fireplace ? Just paint black is my thought (I have the grate somewhere), or is there a better option?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421914688&v=wvQb0pTxqN4&x-yt-cl=84503534&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

*clicks Like*

I’m actually not minding the fire surround white. I think because the rest of the room is quite crisp and pale the fireplace would shout too much if it was a contrasting colour, especially as its in a corner rather than the focal point in the room. That would maybe change if you add or change furniture or whatever over time, but with the room as it is I think the white is fine.

Did you not have time to fit the mirror on the ceiling?

Subscriber

Thanks πŸ™‚ It’s a big deal this for me as you know and only folk that have been on a similar journey will appreciate the small victory this is!

I should have been clearer, I mean the innards of the fire – what to do with it?

Just looks a bit ‘argh’ as is. Surround stays as is.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Spots in a bedroom? Noooo.

You need black silk sheets to go with flashy’s suggested ceiling mirror and those spots.

Subscriber

ahh I see. maybe Grate Polish on the metal – more of a pencil-lead black than a black-paint black.

Subscriber

Seriously? You think spotlights suggest I’m a deviant?!

Anyhow, got any better suggestions for lighting in the second bedroom you two? 8)

..and thank you G, I shall google this grate polish you speak of.

Some of this in the front garden, I assume?

Subscriber

Thats a mark II Jedi remote training orb thingy isn’t it?

Premier Icon ads678
    Subscriber

Lol @ CFH

Subscriber

CFH. I remember my parents giving away a pampass grass when we lived in Torquay. A couple came around, dug it up and gave me some sweets. In hindsight, I got away lightly.

..and yes, it is basically an LED deathstar/glitter ball. When a friend who works for a lighting company offers you anything at retail minus 70%, you can go a bit crazy. (You wouldn’t believe what that sells at!)

I do like it though πŸ˜€

bamboo

Looks fantastic, what a great amount of effort you have put into that. As it is, I like the spotlights.

Premier Icon bruk
    Subscriber

Like that Death Star glitter ball. Wouldn’t have it in my house like, but fits with the rest of your lighting being modern.

Nice fireplace, just needs bit of polish and then maybe try salvage places for some more ornate grate to make it look nicer.

Subscriber

Living room tackled, I’m bloody knackered.

Any opinions as to whether to leave brickwork exposed on just on the front of fireplace, or leaving on the front and either side as well?

Subscriber

Not sure if anyone cares about updates anymore, but just in case πŸ™‚

Back garden has been turned into a blank canvas this week, with hired help of a couple of northerners (ok, they did most the work). Genuine good-guys and complete work-animals.

….and the front garden is currently shitting itself πŸ˜€

alpin

Not sure if anyone cares about updates anymore

i do*

nice work, fella

*not πŸ˜‰

bamboo

Keep the updates coming!

crankboy

Do we want updates? It seems 50% of TV programming is based on the premises the entire nation enjoys watching other peoples build / renovation projects . We all want to see how this works out then when finished we can move on to giving you dating advise.

Premier Icon duncancallum
    Subscriber

Looking good. I’ve done the same

I’ve a diary on another site if it’s ok to link it?

grum

Back garden has been turned into a blank canvas this week, with hired help of a couple of northerners

You are Alan Partridge and I claim my Β£5.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRjIC51UILc[/video]

Subscriber

Finished the back garden today.

Premier Icon honeybadgerx
    Subscriber

Hmm. Needs a new build bike somewhere for us to comment on in reverse-STW tradition.

grahamt1980

As there is no bike. And this is stw
    Your turf lines do not line up with the edge of your shed

Finished? Half the lawn done, plants still in pots two types of gravel and path coveted in shit?

I’ll give you “finished” my lad.

Subscriber

It’s true, I got over-excited at definition of ‘finished’. How about “looks like a garden eventually, rather than a building site”?

Plus, my bikes are ancient..

EDIT:

Your turf lines do not line up with the edge of your shed

Outside you, NOW.

bamboo

Nice work, looks really great. How’s the house coming along?

grahamt1980

Haha sorry couldn’t resist

Subscriber

How’s the house coming along?

Expensively.

Whole house repointed, new lintels, aluminium guttering front and rear, new rain pipes, repointed gables, restored soffits, repointed chimney, pepperpots fitted, foil wrapped windows, new flat roof at rear, French doors etc and today, a new window being cut out. Building control tomorrow.

I’ve not even begun on the inside!

It’s a good job I’m single because I can’t afford a missus, or a date, or beans on toast.

Subscriber

I’ve not even begun on the inside!

The shed looks habitable though. I’d just move in there. πŸ™‚

Subscriber

That’s it I think now for this thread, time to shoot it in the head.

Final update is that today the outside of the house, was finished. If you look carefully, it did a wee in excitement. Some excess mortar to scrub off, but job jobbed.

All your advice, encouragement, piss-taking and patience on my many, often stupid questions on other threads is genuinely appreciated. The latter will continue though – that confidence to actually tackle something unknown, is an odd one, but I’m overcoming it.

Thanks, and good luck to any others going through it.

House out.

Ambrose

Well Done That Man. Looks good πŸ™‚

wrightyson

The “rockery” looks nice. πŸ˜‰
    This summer on the back of my real job I intend to gut my house top to bottom whilst living in it. A job that should’ve been done 14 years ago. I may start a thread on domestics/pain/children with asthma.
    Well done bear.

twinw4ll

Nice job bear, you appear to still be in the first flush of enthusiasm, i’ve spent the last 30 years doing up various properties and i’m now halfway through an epic loft conversion, to be honest iv’e had enough, the next house is gonna be mint and my wife has been instructed to shoot me if i look at anything without a roof.

racefaceec90

congratulations good sir and well done πŸ˜€

i have not a clue about anything diy or building/painting e.t.c so fair play to you for taking it on yourself πŸ™‚

i have to admit that i haven’t read the whole thread but i will do so,oh yes i will do.

Subscriber

you appear to still be in the first flush of enthusiasm

No. I. Am. Not.

That left me long ago; every little thing that’s completed is a victory though.

I have been so close to tears at times, and that’s not a joke. It’s really hard by yourself with no partner or friends that can help, if you’re a soft-handed office bitch.

I’m not really sure I’d recommend it TBH!

You lot have helped though, and that’s something.

bamboo

I’ve always enjoyed this thread so please keep it going as you carry on with the inside. From what I can see, it looks like you are doing a really good and thorough job!

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘Man skills’ is closed to new replies.