Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 160 total)
  • Man skills
  • scaled
    Free Member

Only just seen this, looks like you’re doing a proper job on that!

Only advice I can offer is an endorsement of Easifill, it’s a tenner for a decent sized bag and you don’t need that much of it.

I’m lucky in so far as my walls are reasonably decent (even if none of the bloody corners are remotely square) Lining paper + joint cement between the rolls is working well if you find that plastering isn’t for you 😀

bearnecessities

Little update; a continual mission of smashing stuff up and removing things.

I look forward to the day I start adding things.

Piece of advice to anyone single, without a plethora of friends in various necessary trades…

Don’t ******** do it!!! (honestly though, do it, it’s just harder than you could imagine by yourself!)

I move in at the end of this month 😯

righog
    Free Member

Piece of advice to anyone single, without a plethora of friends in various necessary trades…

Don’t ******** do it!!! (honestly though, do it, it’s just harder than you could imagine by yourself!)

I move in at the end of this month

Don’t worry Bear, your doing a great job, your learning every day, enjoy each day as it comes, and moving forward a little bit every day. Even the experienced move forward in small steps.

bearnecessities

Cheers Righog, the funny thing is that the more I pull apart (and therefore understand) the better I feel.

I have a great sparkie; everything else is just graft and using this place for advice! In all seriousness, I’d be screwed without STW so far.

midlifecrashes

Good man, keep it up. I did say leave the lead alone, but hadn’t realised how much of a teardown you’d done already. No point in not doing it while you can get at it.

My new next door neighbours got the keys last night and the noise has started today, big old Victorian semi that half of it hasn’t been touched since it was built, could be a long haul.

bearnecessities

A little update. Hopefully, this is the worse state that the place will be in, as I move in next weekend!

These pictures were taken 3 hours ago.

Plasterers and tiling man in all of next week; all very last minute, but hopefully will transform the main bedroom, hallway, landing and bathroom, in order to make it habitable.

If anyone needs advice for electricians in the Leeds area, I have the absolutely best folk imaginable to recommend.

Carpenter (from here) also outstanding; retrofitted support for bath that original plumber failed to do, with impeccable accuracy, so can recommend one of them also.

Plumbers, not so.

New aerial & distribution kit from Ton; installation by yours truly 😉

Edukator
    Free Member

Please insulate those walls on the inside.

bearnecessities

Um, eh?

Marko

Edukator is suggesting you insulate the walls intenally. Something like this:

A combination of 12mm, 20mm and 6mm Marmox board on sold stone 18″ wall. Plaster skim to follow.

Hth
    Marko

bearnecessities

Oh hell no, not now! Probably a good idea, but it’s got cavity insulation and is actually a really warm house oddly, when freezing back in Feb.

Thanks for explaining though 😀

dooosuk
    Free Member

Are there any advantages/disadvantages of using Marmox board over an insulated plasterboard? From my limited knowledge both would need skimming anyway.

Marko

Advantages?

Light.
    Easy to work with.
    Thinner sheet for the same ‘R’ value as insulated plasterboard.
    Totally waterproof – no need for any vapour barrier.

If I was doing a large room – one where you could afford to loose some of the internal space I would have used insulated plasterboard.

Hth
    Marko

bearnecessities

It feel like Christmas morning..the plasterers arrive today!

nealglover
    Free Member

..the plasterers arrive today!

Keep an eye on them, some plasterers (not that many possibly?) don’t clear up floors etc as they go, and splats can be a pain in the arse to get rid of once they have cured.

Either ask them to clear up as they go, or do it yourself as they work, but don’t leave it all till later as it will take forever.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Cheers Marko…not quite sure after all those advantages why you then say you’d still use insulated plasterboard on a bigger room though 😕

bearnecessities

Things are starting to happen!

busydog
    Free Member

Quite a remarkable transition—lot of work, no doubt, but with gratifying results—-well done

wrightyson
    Free Member

Not bad, not bad at all!
    Till you get the stw consultancy bill 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

Till you get the stw consultancy bill

Shhhh!

pjm84
    Free Member

Skim should be a “little” drier before tiling.

_tom_
    Free Member

This is looking good, nice work! I’m so glad my house has only really needed new paint though, which I’ve managed to do most of in some time off work. I don’t think I could face having to do all this stuff!

user-removed
    Free Member

Great job – you’re a braver man than I. Stuff like that ^^^ terrifies me. Good to start seeing the cosmetics going on 🙂

bearnecessities

This weekend, I applied some….PAINT!

Only the one room only that is anywhere near ready for it, but blimey it’s a nice feeling to paint something 😀

Just spots, mirror, fitting bath panel and nifty shower screen thing to go.

Before:

After:

trail_rat
    Free Member

Looks good that

RustyMac

Nice work, you are certainly getting there. By your third or fourth room white paint will be your nemesis, you get to the point where it is oh I’m so close just one more coat then the colour and then I’m done.

That frustrating agony of being so close to be finished but not quite there.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I liked the green bath and shelving accessories! Philistine!

bearnecessities

Tonight, I was mostly pooping myself on a 50 year old ladder and some warped/wobbly planks.

crankboy
    Free Member

Bear the ladder and board arrangement looks like A clip from the first few minutes of casualty. If you need to do owt else I have one of those indoor stepladder platform combos you can borrow . it can give a flat levelish platform on steps . we live in Leeds hence the loan offer.

bearnecessities

I actually had my phone in my pocket, just in case something went wrong 😯

That’s very kind of you thank you; wish I’d asked beforehand now! Hopefully that and the second coat will dry to give a decent edge; if it doesn’t though I’ll be in touch thanks, as no way am I doing that again.

bearnecessities

Amazing the difference 45 litres of paint makes.

dantsw13

Great job! I renovated my last house top-bottom (5 bed Victorian detached – bloody high ceilings!!).

Very impressed so far. The hardest bit is to keep motivated until the very end. The last bits make the biggest difference.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Keep going bear. When’s the carpets being fitted, I found that always gave me a serious push deadline wise 😆

bearnecessities

Carpet?! Next job is to tackle second bedroom & that toilet you can see, all of which will be a plaster & ceilings down job, again 😥

IA

Thought I’d bump this thread to see how bear was getting on…

Now that you’ve done a lot, what advice would you give yourself at the start if you could have?

Inspiring stuff, I get the keys to my moneypit/hovel on thursday, so have read this with great interest….

bearnecessities

Oh, hello & congrats 🙂

I’ve downed tools for a few months and actually enjoying summer; got a
    bit sick of it and I can recommend a break!

What would I do differently?

I wish I was more ‘tradesman-wise’ at the start, but nothing I could have done to prepare myself really for that.

Other than that, nothing really as all the help here and challenges have been all part of it and experience will help for the next ‘push’.

I can recommended taking a break for definite, having more money than I had, taking time to actually live in it and understand what you want where (permanent fixtures etc) and not fretting when the place looks like a deralict shambles, ‘cos a plasterer transforms a room!

(Saying that, I’ve been doing this/living by myself. Pressures may be different if you’ve got a partner, or may be easier!?)

IA

, taking time to actually live in it and understand what you want where

I get the point of this, though I intend to get a load of messy stuff done before moving in. Are there particular examples where you had planned one thing, lived a bit then changed the plan?

I have a partner, but I think she’ll make it easier, as she’s as keen to get stuck into doing stuff as I am. 🙂

A break sounds like a good plan, will probably take a week or two at xmas to visit relatives etc. so that’ll be a chance to get away from the carnage!

bearnecessities

Are there particular examples where you had planned one thing, lived a bit then changed the plan?

Pretty much everything so far 🙂

IA

haha, ok I get it, what’s that quote about no plan surviving contact with the enemy? 😉

bearnecessities

I’ll provide a better update soon, but today the last ceiling came down.

I am so happy I don’t have to do this again. Horrible job!

However, got to clean up tomorrow.

bearnecessities

Forgot to mention that if you’re doing similar ceiling/plaster removal, invest in one of these. A quick prime & spray every few minutes and minimal dust will be created.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘Man skills’ is closed to new replies.