Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Man down – BJ Doherty (soulrider)
  • kcal

many deep breaths over the last few days.
    Still in the disbelief stage of grief..

BJ was the archetype of the bluff exterior Yorkshire lad who called things how they were, but first with words of encouragement and friendly arm round shoulder / handshake..

its just the worst thing, can cope with a crash or illness if prepared, but circumstances are just wrong. tours of duty, in some hairy locations, military risks – to be involved in something like this. as @devs has said, to be on the cusp of a return to his home trails – must find a way to channel this for good.

ride free soulrider.

RustySpanner

My sincere condolences to soulrider’s many friends and family.

granny_ring

Sad news.
    Best wishes to family and friends.

Andy-R

Very, very sad news – my sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Conan257
    Free Member

Gents, Ladies…

I’m striking while the iron is hot here. I’ve seen plenty of support posts on facebook and the likes from No Fuss, Chipps, top people at Orange etc etc.

As a friend of BJ for many years, having worked and cycled with him, i’m hoping to plan some rides in the near future and at some point in the spring/summer to celebrate his love of all things biking.

If anyone wants to be involved/notified/support, please pass me a private message or post on here and i’ll find another way without putting my email up. Expecting a day in the Peaks and probably 10 Under the Ben at the very least.

RIP Beej.

tjagain

edit – too ruddy slow!

gonefishin
    Free Member

Dreadful news. As you say Devs, with him due to move back to Moray in a few weeks time, an area he loved so much, makes the news even worse somehow.

Well that confirms my fears as it means that this is the guy I did my trail cycle leader course with at Glenmore lodge all those years ago. I didn’t know him well but certainly enjoyed his company on and off the bike. 😢

heebyjeeby

Did not know Soulrider personally but recognize his name from the forum – as with everyone else very saddened to hear of this news.
    Thoughts with his family at this awful time.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I heard about this yesterday through a mutual friend. I didn’t know soulrider other than on here, but as said already – it’s always a shock.

Love and condolences to his family and friends.

pondo

I’d not met the gentleman but Mrs Pondo studied with Mrs Soulrider – I know she’s keen to capture memories, would it be rude to ask this thread be passed to her?

scotroutes

I believe it already has but no harm in doing so again.

scaredypants

Man this is awful – never met the guy but still feels a bit personal
    I’m becoming a bit of a “militant cyclist” as I get older and grumpier and this crap is exactly why. My commute is rural and I’m probably passed by only a dozen cars per 11 mile trip but I still half expect something like this every day.

Love to his family and friends; I hope they can remember the good times, even now

devs
    Free Member

Looks like we’ll have lots of people coming to 10UTB to ride for or just remember BJ, which is awesome.

hubamonster
    Free Member

I didnt know Barrie, I can only add that my thoughts are with his family at this tragic time.

I saw blue lights on the horizon cycling home from work Monday evening so checked local press the next day and saw the terrible news. I’m local and commute regularly on the roads nearby so this has given me much to think about.

Again, condolences to his family and friends

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Very sad news. Best wishes to his family and friends.

scotroutes

Funeral today so I’m heading out on my bike for a bit of head time and will be remembering BJ as I ride.

Rich_s

Thanks Scotroutes. Will do the same!

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

The funeral was incredibly moving and left many, including me, quite broken.
    It was heartbreaking, yet heartening, to hear family, friends and colleagues share their memories of BJ; it seems he was lots of different things to lots of people and time and again someone shared an experience where you could just think ‘ yeah, that was him all over’.
    For those who don’t know a number of teams/pairs and solo riders are all doing 10 Under the Ben in memory of BJ and would love your support as they slog round the course.
    Main thoughts are, as always, with Vicky, their boys and BJ’s family.

devs
    Free Member

Wot dangerousbeans sed up there ^^^^^^^^^^^
    BJ was given a very fitting send off. The large chapel was packed beyond capacity, as was the wake at the Officer’s Mess at RAF Cranwell. To see he was held in such high regard by so many different communities and respected by all who ever encountered him might be a small comfort to his family and friends. I reckon he’d approve of all the roadies who are getting on MTBs to ride 10UTB. I hope he takes a minute to look down on us from the single track in the sky, I know that his “encouragement” would be very direct and Yorkshire like. 🙂 Per ardour ad astra.

kcal

As written above for the send off.
    I think that’s the most moving funeral I’ve attended. Absolutely in bits at many points. It was clear I wasn’t the only one by a long shot. Tears unchecked at several sections.

I hadn’t realised it was standing room only but it was clearly well attended and as devs said, from such diverse communities that speaks volumes. Which was more than I was able for some time afterwards.

Hugs to family and all the many friends.

It was a long journey, an incredibly tough service and a long way back but I’m glad we went.

Trekster

My Wee Bro is recovering from having his voice box removed!!! I have a few mates/ex workmates who have had a similar op…

sisterofsoulrider
    Free Member

soulrider was my big brother. It’s been a dark couple of years since he was taken, so occasionally, when I need some comfort from a world he was part of, I come on this link to read your comments.

Thank you for writing such lovely things about him. He was such a great guy, and here I can read all about him. Such a loss to your community.

Thank you for taking the time to write about him, it means a lot to me.

scotroutes

I found a #bemorebj sticker down at Feshie Bridge recently and had a couple of quiet moments of remembrance and there’s a bit round Loch an Eilein we “raced” on one ride. I never pass it without casting a thought back to being with him.

sisterofsoulrider
    Free Member

I love that he’s remembered, out and about by his friends, doing the thing he loved so much.

Having grown up with Beej, I can confirm that his whole life was dedicated to his bike, from being a little kid on his BMX to locking his bike in his wardrobe at uni (clothes, all over the floor). It was the foundation of all the amazing activities he did with his lovely wife and boys.

Passing that bridge, that’s exactly the sort of spot he should be remembered xx

soobalias
    Free Member

just yesterday i caught sight in the mirror of the bunnies eyes looking angrier….
    #BJOD #bemorebeej

Rona

Hello sisterofsoulrider, I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. I didn’t know him (other than recognising his forum name), but if he was highly regarded by the folk on here then I’m confident he was a good man. Like you, I lost a loved one to a road cycling accident, and I still sometimes look up the thread which was on here at the time (12 years ago rather than 2!) and take comfort from hearing that others were inspired by him and enjoyed his company on the bike. I just wanted you to know you’re not alone. I’m wishing you all the best.

locking his bike in his wardrobe at uni

😃

Houns

I must admit I’m choked up again after reading this thread, I barely knew him so god knows how you all must feel. I just hope that it gets easier everyday for you, and you know that you have friends that’ll do anything to help you all out

scotroutes

This thread has reminded me. I was on a mlehride with BJ in January 2009 at Laggan. For some reason, he was doing press-ups at the top of the black/red descent (nope, no idea).

Ten years later (to the day) I was back at Laggan so I thought it was only fitting…

Houns

Heh! Brilliant 🙂 #BeMoreBJ

Rivett
    Free Member

I get regular reminders of BJ on Strava when looking at local segments. You have to be going some to get anywhere close to some of the KOMs he’d got.

RustySpanner

Bloody hell, that’s awful.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

I don’t think I ever met him, but obviously an absolutely sound bloke.

Love and best wishes to all,
    Pete.

munrobiker
    Free Member

He crossed my wife and I’s thoughts last week. We were reading the news reports and I remember thinking “I bet the worst thing about all this as far as BJ is concerned is that he’s spent so many decades trying to hide his actual first name!”

He’d come into my mind because I’d been out on a rare road ride and there were some terrifying drivers. It’s a shame being in Lincolnshire forced him onto the road bike instead of having all the amazing mountain biking of Scotland on his doorstep. He was a worthy race opponent as well as a great person.

Rich_s

When I saw this thread pop up again I smiled because the memories of BJ are 100% of a great guy. I hope that means something to you and helps in some small way.

Cougar

Shit the bed, I had no idea. This passed me by, I just assumed he was a forumite who’d drifted off.

Thanks for nudging the thread. RIP sir.

sisterofsoulrider
    Free Member

I don’t think I’ll ever stop coming back to this thread to read what you all have to say about my big brother.

In his adult life, I didn’t see him often, he was busy…mostly on his bike. I didn’t need to see him, or worry about him. He was happy and I was happy that he was!

I was lucky to have such an awesome big brother

Treasures memories and tributes are held in this thread for me. I thank you all.

Always #bemorebj

Poopscoop

I never met your brother but I wish I had.

I’m sure everyone on the forum, especially those that contributed to the thread, are glad that you pop in to reread it.

You take care of yourself.

csb

Thankyou for keeping the thread popping back @sisterofsoulrider it’s nice to see.

rOcKeTdOg

I’ve just seen this thread and realised who it was, we only met online and at 24hr races, I’ll always remember his friendly banter and the firmest hand shake I think I’ve ever experienced!
    Off for a ride now just because, real life can wait for a few hours

munrobiker
    Free Member

We were just chatting about him in January at the Strathpuffer. He certainly gives you some motivation to push on in the cold and dark at 3am.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.