Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Malnourished scrotes selling nicked bike parts outside my house
  • vorlich
    Free Member

Just setting off with a bike strapped to roof, reverse out of space and set off only to be immediately flagged down by aforementioned scrote, carrying a Sports Direct bag:

Scrote: I see you’re into bikes *eyes rather expensive bike on roof*, want to buy some disk brakes? *holds up bag*
    Me: Naw *drives off*

So I stop around the corner and can’t remember the non emergency number for the cops. I turn around and go looking for him to see which way he went, can’t see him, so assume he went through the park. So I drive to the cop shop and give them a description and location and head off for my ride.

Obviously this **** knows roughly where I live now, which really pisses me off. The bikes are now in the house.

What, if anything, could I have done differently? Can members of the public detain someone under suspicion of handling stolen goods?

Glad I’m putting the house on the market soon. 😐

MSP

What, if anything, could I have done differently?

“I know a mate who needs some, let me mms a pic to him to see if he’s interested, smile for the camera”

bruneep

Glad I’m putting the house on the market soon.

Makes note not to buy house from vorlich

vorlich
    Free Member

🙂 the area is not that bad TBH, I think he was passing through.

eskay

should have dialled 999, may not have seemed like an emergency to you but the cops may have thought otherwise. he may be the source of a local crimewave.

vorlich
    Free Member

MSP that’s not a bad idea, better then my ‘get him in a headlock’ idea anyway.

ji
    Free Member

For reference 101 is the non emergency number across the country now.

vorlich
    Free Member

For reference 101 is the non emergency number across the country now.

Saw that on a poster in the police station. 😐

elltell
    Free Member

You: (grab the runt by the face) No, I dont buy knockoff stuff and if I see you around here again I’ll ram them **** parts down your neck you little ****, NOW **** OFF !

MussEd
    Free Member

MSPs suggestion followed by Elltells!?

johnellison
    Free Member

Can members of the public detain someone under suspicion of handling stolen goods?

In England and Wales, under Section 24A of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act of 1984, for an indictable offence, any person can arrest anyone who is in the act of committing an offence, or whom the arrestor has reasonable grounds for suspecting to be in the act of committing an offence; or, where an offence has been committed, anyone who is guilty of that offence or whom the arrestor has reasonable grounds for suspecting to be guilty of it.

So yes, you could have made a citizen’s arrest based on those two premises.

However, you also have to meet the following conditions – 1) it appears to the person making the arrest that it is not reasonably practicable for a constable to make the arrest instead; and 2) the arrestor has reasonable grounds for believing that the arrest is necessary to prevent the person being arrested from causing physical harm to him/herself or others; from being subject to physical harm; causing loss of or damage to property; or the person absconding before a constable can take responsibility for them.

So strictly speaking, you would have been within your rights because a) you suspected that an offence was being committed; b) it was not practical for a constable to make the arrest there and then; and c) you were concerned that the perp may abscond before a constable could take responsibility.

johnellison
    Free Member

@vorlich – where was this BTW?

woody2000

I’m sure the legal niceties of a citizens arrest will be very comforting as said scrote smashes you round the head with his bag of stolen goodies and does a runner.

Call the police and let them deal with it.

vorlich
    Free Member

It was in Dunfermline, so I’m not sure if it’s the same case north of the border.

I’m sure the legal niceties of a citizens arrest will be very comforting as said scrote smashes you round the head with his bag of stolen goodies and does a runner

Well you have to assess these situations as they arise, clearly if I was concerned about my ability to both overpower and detain someone and then contact the police, then I wouldn’t. In this instance, in hindsight, I’m pretty confident I could have detained him, but had no means of contacting police as my phone was in the camelbak/boot and no neighbours around to call police/assist. But that’s the risk you run, yes.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Tell him you’re OK for disc brakes, see if he can get you some 501’s and a couple of Fred Perry tops, and some proper Armani perfume for the missus. Share a fag with him put in a regular order – your bike will be safe in the garden and you’ll get cheap clobber as and when. Both happy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Malnourished scrotes selling nicked bike parts outside my house’ is closed to new replies.