Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Making Tax Digital.
  • sparkerfix

One man band vat registered limited company. I’m now being dragged out of the dark ages and made to do my vat digital. What software does the Single Track Massive recommend? Ta.

oldtennisshoes

Freeagent here
    But I think you can do the obligitary digital bits just using HMRCs web pages.

rone

I’m on brightbooks, which is simple stuff. They’ve just added it.

mattbee

FreeAgent for us, simply because it’s free with our banking through NatWest.

matt_outandabout

Self employed taxcalc user here, I’ve used it for over a decade.
    Once your account is all set up (can take a few days), keep a record of all your passwords and numbers, as I forget them year to year. Other than that, I update taxcalc each year, chuck in the figures and hit ‘submit’. Brilliant.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Just tell them your religious beliefs are incompatible with using electronic communications or keeping electronic records

Quote from HMRC guidlines on who is exempt from digital VAT, i shit you not!

your business is run entirely by practising members of a religious society or order whose beliefs are incompatible with using electronic communications or keeping electronic records

kcal

FreeAgent (because it’s free through RBS) – it’s surprisingly nifty (I was expecting a clunky affair) and intuitive, in the main. I don’t think my accountant is linked to it, but it gives me reassurance in any event that all is laid out.

So much so that have migrated to a separate account so can get the same features on a separate business.

julians
    Free Member

your business is run entirely by practising members of a religious society or order whose beliefs are incompatible with using electronic communications or keeping electronic records

Brilliant, wish I’d seen that before I signed up to use sage.

I might yet claim to be a luddite.

johnners
    Free Member

I might yet claim to be a luddite.

Better yet, claim to be a Butlerian* and are going to go all jihadi on their ass. That’ll put the wind right up them.

*not Judith

johndoh
    Free Member

Another Freeagent user here too – although I pay for it being an HSBC customer, however it is only about £25 a month.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Does anyone here use Gnucash?

sparkerfix

Thanks all!!

andy8442
    Free Member

Sage, absolute sh1te. I’ve been sending invoices off for two months now only to discover they have been going nowhere, but a copy was been sent to me so I assumed everything was fine. So now I’ve got no money coming in for the next few months. Great! MTD! utter con by the software companies.

rone

Great! MTD! utter con by the software companies.

Appears to be another untimely ill thought out Tory idea – the party of lower bureaucracy.

rone

Anyone else had issues with flat rate vat being reported incorrectly?

Than you have to fill in a form – post it… And eventually you get a cheque back.

They lump all the responsibility on the software vendor.

A nightmare to sort as you’re linked via your software to the online HMRC account with no way of editing it.

You can do it using excel and the right bridging software (the bit that prepares your submission and sends it too HMRC)

I think some businesses provide free bridging software for VAT (most charge). There’s a list somewhere on the hmrc website.

HMRC provides it own free software for RTI

sharkbait
    Free Member

Quickbooks online here – been using it for about 3 years now. Costs me about £12/month and you can run payroll on it as well for just £1/month/employee.

Made my life so much easier. Freeagent seems to get a fair bit of love, but £25/month???!

smiffy

But I think you can do the obligitary digital bits just using HMRCs web pages.

you could, but not any more, unfortunately.

the only free Excel tool I’ve found is Avalara. It works fine, but is still a more complicated process than punching 9 figures into their website.

vinnyeh

Thin end of the wedge, this.

There’s a list of approved software at https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/making-tax-digital-software that you can filter to pull out bridging software or full packages. HMRC were supposed to add a filter to let you filter for truly free software as well (apparently there’s a dozen or so), but haven’t bothered. Avalara is the only name that I’m aware of.

Bridging software is a bit of a swizz really, the api is  really simple as you can imagine.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Making Tax Digital.’ is closed to new replies.