Making porridge in the microwave…..how?

Home Forum Chat Forum Making porridge in the microwave…..how?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Making porridge in the microwave…..how?
  • Premier Icon yoshimi
    Subscriber

I always enjoy a bowl of porridge at the weekend – made in a pan on the stove with milk and topped off with sugar – half a cup of oats and a full cup of milk. Milk soaks into the oats, I stir for around 7 mins and tadah – perfect porridge.

Over the weekend I bought one of these new-fangled microwave things with the idea that I could have porridge before work – usual, half cup of oats, full cup of milk, in a bowl, stir, place in microwave on full power for 5mins…………exploded porridge everywhere:(

Yesterday morning, much more cautious, 3 x 1.5mins on full power stirring in between, ended up with hard oats that hadn’t expanded and not soaked up the milk 🙁

This morning – tried to find a middle ground – porridge all over the microwave again 🙁

WHHHYYYYYYYY????? <shaking fist at the sky>

So, what do I do?

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

less than 5 mins that’s for sure.

3 1/2 mins.

With stirring at 1 min intervals.

Quality of oats makes a huge difference to texture.

i find the Quaker oats soak up easier in the Micro. certainly more than the Tescos own cheap ones i’ve got this week which remain quite oaty afterwards.

shifter

Too long! The stuff that comes in sachets only takes 2 mins and I split that into two blasts.

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl
    Subscriber

1/2 cup of oats, put into pyrex dish, add between 1 and 1.1/4 cup of water, cover and microwave on high for 2 mins 20.

No need for stirring. Gives you time to sort out the coffee!

Oats vary considerably in quality and also size, large oats tend to be chewy.

HTH

Gordy

Actually exploded or just boiled over?

Bigger bowl, or watch it and stir when it rises up too much.

Method for 800W microwave –

1/2 cup porridge oats (I use Sainsbury’s own brand without problems)
    1 cup milk

Mix in a microwaveable bowl.

2 1/2 minutes on full power, stir half way through. Result.

I use this method for both mine and the dogs’ porridge.

For the record, most own-brand supermarket oats are made by the same company that makes Quaker. I know this because I am currently engaged in designing robot gripper heads for their production facility in Fife.

Premier Icon yoshimi
    Subscriber

Well, not exploded, just boiled over – I use the Tesco Finest Oats which I always have done, plus they’re quite cheap.

I think another brand of oats might be worth a try

Premier Icon yoshimi
    Subscriber

And maybe a bigger bowl

Edit: Microwavable bowl, sick of burning my fingers too!

Premier Icon Rusty Mac
    Subscriber

What they all said^^^^^^^^^^^^

2 1/2 minutes on full power and you’ll be good.

phil.w

My morning recipe FWIW….

50g oats
    300g milk
    5 min @ 80% power (1200w microwave)
    In a high sided bowl and there’s no need to stir

Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy
    Subscriber

I got fed up with washing up microwave baked on porridge from bowls so switched to the pour boiling water into a pot variety, you get used to them soon enough…

mattsccm

Amount of oats you fancy , milk to a level thats a bit much for the thickness you like. 3 mins max.
    Add choccy spread before heating.
    I reckon you are giving it way too long.

I’ve noticed that instructions for both porridge and soup in the microwave involve heating them at full blast until they either boil over or explode all over the place and then stir after the mess… On the other hand, if you ignore the instructions and run the microwave at about 25% power for three times as long it actually works!

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

(1200w microwave)

Jesus !
    ours does 900 and that’s enough to vapourise most foods

soobalias

cheap oats – not your huge organic good for you ones – 30g
    water – 2x volume of the oats
    90secs full blast
    leave to stand for couple of mins.

if left all day the only way to get the cement out of the bowl is to give it to the dog.

mogrim

Glass milk, 4 heaped tablespoons of oats, 2 min in the micro (800W). If it comes out a bit runny give it another 30s, if it’s too thick stir in a little cold milk.

CaptJon

Do it like team sky:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2c6CH5nJ_4[/video]

rewski

@ CaptJon – seriously interesting, thanks.

sharkbait

I’ve tried cheaper porridge oats and keep coming back to Quaker as they just seem “nicer”. My girls can tell the difference too. It’s so cheap anyway – big boxes from Costco last ages even though we have it every day in the winter.

Premier Icon edsbike
    Subscriber

We have some 2000W microwaves at work, ‘industrial’ ones that don’t turn. 2 1/2 mins in that like I usually do at home and I thought I’d brought about Armageddon.

I’ve learnt my lesson now though, 40 secs to perfect porridge 😀

Haze

Bowl on the scales, add 40-45g then top up with milk to around 240g.

Nuke for 2 mins, remove from microwave then add blueberries and honey .

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

Making it in the pan takes 5 minutes. Why use the microwave?

wors

I’ve come to the conclusion that you can’t make porridge in the microwave, so i just goet up a bit earlier and do it properly in the pan 🙂

Jamie

Because it takes less than 2.5mins in the microwave.

Premier Icon stevie750
    Subscriber

two minutes in the micro wave
    stir
    microwave 45 seconds
    stir
    microwave 45 seconds
    the poridge should start to rise, stop microwave just before it goes over the edge of the bowl

Don’t use pinhead oat meal

phil.w

Jesus !
    ours does 900 and that’s enough to vapourise most foods

ex-pastry chef who still likes to dabble so it comes in handy 🙂

whatnobeer

Useful thread, I can never ever get it right in the microwave. Usually use a 3-1 ratio of liquid (2 parts milk, 1 water) to oats so the pan takes a lot longer than 5 minutes! Does give a beautiful texture and flavour though.

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

I spend the massive amount of extra time making the tea and getting my lunch ready.

It’s probably cheating but I use Sainsburys’ own brand smooth porridge (aka Ready Brek) as it’s much easier to get right in a microwave.

Mix it in the bowl with milk to slightly runnnier consistency than ideal, nuke on full power for just over a minute, stir in sweet stuff if required, job done.

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

Usually use a 3-1 ratio of liquid (2 parts milk, 1 water) to oats so the pan takes a lot longer than 5 minutes! Does give a beautiful texture and flavour though.

Not if you soak it the night before.

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

Glass milk, 4 heaped tablespoons of oats, 2 min in the micro (800W). If it comes out a bit runny give it another 30s, if it’s too thick stir in a little cold milk.

+1. i usually pour in milk til its only slighlty above the level of porridge.

and doesnt dirty a pan 🙂

Jamie

Not if you soak it the night before.

Oh…so now we are having to soak as well? 5 mins you say?

😛

Premier Icon ononeorange
    Subscriber

Sums up why I avoid cooking if I possibly can, really. Follow the instructions to a tee, whatever it is generally ends up undercooked / overcooked / a horrible mess.

Cooking really is a Black Art for wizards / witches. If you ask me.

I eat a lot of salads!

Ro5ey

Cup of oats
    Cup of water
    1/2 cup of milk
    2mins on high… in work
    1:40 on high… at home
    No stirring
    Done

Each micro is different as is each bowl (so try using the same bowl style) … you just have to find the sweet spot/time

Premier Icon ourmaninthenorth
    Subscriber

When I used to eat porridge (in my bike commuting days)., I always ate jumbo oats. IIRC mixture was something like 1/4 (or poss 1/3) cup oats. 1/2 cup milk.

Put in bidon in fridge overnight. Put bidon on bike in morning. Ride to work. Nuke for 2-2.5 mins in office kitchen.

Or longer when the milk froze on the ride in.

Jamie

Sums up why I avoid cooking if I possibly can, really. Follow the instructions to a tee, whatever it is generally ends up undercooked / overcooked / a horrible mess.

Cooking really is a Black Art for wizards / witches. If you ask me.

I eat a lot of salads!

ononeorange earlier…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFDQolLGhfg[/video]

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

If it’s actually exploded, it’s superheated; you need to stir it before putting it in.

If it’s just boiled over, you’ve done it for too long. Undercook it, stir it, wang it back in for 30 seconds.

Once happened to me with soup. Doing a tin of Heinz cream of tomato, like I’ve done a thousand times. Just before it was due to ping there was an almighty ‘kin *bang* like a bomb going off, I tore the door open to find a near-empty bowl and a microwave that was orange with a few spots of white showing through. Always made a point of stirring it first after that.

Premier Icon TPTcruiser
    Subscriber

Guys, guys, good thread but the essential plate under the bowl for catching the boil over hasn’t been mentioned yet. 🙂

warton

I hate microwaved porridge, esp. with big oats like flanagans.

hob, pan, sportle, 40g porridge, 220 ml of milk

perfect

MrSmith

Oats, 50/50 hot water from kettle and milk so oats are covered 2min in microwave.
    No uncooked oats, no mess in microwave.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Making porridge in the microwave…..how?’ is closed to new replies.