Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Making friends as an adult
  • GolfChick
    Free Member

So the OH doesn’t ride bikes and due to the level at which he thinks I ride, doesn’t want to join in and this is leading to the huge amount of solo rides and although sometimes solo is better id really like to have some reliable mates to ride with. I have one best mate who lives miiiiiles away (prob why he puts up with me) and have a maximum of 5 occasional friends. Who I can occasionally meet up with but who often let me down or simply piss me off by adding over an hour onto a ride. I’m tempted to sign up to POF again just to meet people!! Don’t think this would go down too well with the OH as one friend recently I managed to forge I had to cut ties with as he wanted way more! Anybody got any bright ideas or should I suck it up and be pathetic forever more?!

tenfoot

Are there any local mtb clubs? Might be worth a look maybe.

xora

No different that making friends as a kid, go and do social activites, join local bike club, hiking club, whatever your interests are.

andyl
    Free Member

simply piss me off by adding over an hour onto a ride

Sorry. 🙁

GolfChick
    Free Member

Not you, ya arse!

Northwind

I met most of my riding friends through trailbuilding, and this website full of bellends you might have heard of called singletrack… And quite a lot of crossover with marshalling and racing.

andyl
    Free Member

Not you, ya arse!

😀

GolfChick
    Free Member

Trail building and marshalling are good ideas actually!

GolfChick
    Free Member

Andyl – otherwise I’d of said cutting the end off a ride because he couldn’t survive any longer!

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Local mountain biking meetup group

kilo

If you want to meet people who mountain bike, a mountain bike club does seem like a good place to start, or maybe even a road club with mountain bikers in it.

tomhoward

Lbs that does shop rides?

canopy
    Free Member

I struggled a bit I guess.. I have two friends who are quite flakey, and some people from work who have not been able to ride for a long time due to injury. I got hooked up with a local-ish group via the mrs who works with someone in it. i’m not sure. I enjoy their company, and the challenge, but not always what and where they ride so much.

Luckily for me one of my flakey mates and I have an old mutual friend who was a roadie for the last few years. Including club ride etc. He got knocked off about 6 weeks ago and its put him off for good. So much so he bought a mountain bike and has his road stuff up for sale. He saw me sharing strava rides on fb and our pics and knew we were riding sometimes so asked when we were out next. That was a week ago. he joined us for the first time Sunday.. “best fun i’ve had on a bike for 3 years” he said. He’s just got to square things with his other half so he’s allowed out with me/us more.

So, if you can tap up friends-of-friends, people you know, or via strava/facebook local groups, and the other suggestions here something will come together.

Also, I understand being a lady it could be hard to trust men. So a mixed group might be best, even better – start your own thing. I was thinking of starting a monthly “casual ride” thing to network a bit til the recent change of events. Pick a place, say you’ll be there and what time, rought idea of whats on the table and see what happens. I play guitar on weds nights with a couple local guys and found each other randomly througha post on a local commmunity forum – one of the guys turned up to our first session unannounced because he’d heard it was happening.. so you never know!

binners

Depends what type of mountain bikers you wanted to meet. With our lot your best bet would be to sit at the end of the bar that’s closest to the pie fridge and the crisps 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s tricky to find riders who you get on with and who actually want to come out and ride regularly and when you do. I guess it’s a bit like dating in that you have to kiss a lot of frogs.

Moved up north a few years ago and now have a couple of keen regular riding buddies and quite a few more people I ride with now-and-then.

Is there a FB MTB group local to you?

Harry_the_Spider

Be careful what you wish for. I ride with the same shower of arseholes every week now.

If you are Manchester based there is always room for one more.

[NinjaEdit]Not that you are an arsehole.[/NinjaEdit]

Harry_the_Spider

[FurtherNinjaEdit]But if you are you’d fit in.[/FurtherNinjaEdit]

GolfChick
    Free Member

yeah I think its very much the keen regular and as far and same pace that I struggle with. I’m an awkward sod so the lbs that does shop rides rides at about 7pm and because of life etc I ride either home from work or right after work so always miss out on the group rides. Also the friend I made who I have to now try to avoid rides most of the rides so I think it would be awkward then too. Although I’m super competitive I worry that any MTB clubs will be full of equally annoying competitive people!

binners

Is there not something equivalent to our Monday Night Pub Rides (the afore-mentioned shower of arseholes)? There’s loads of people come out with us, and the only rule is that no-one gets dropped. Our rides are many things – in last nights case a highly enjoyable, unbelievably muddy farce – but one thing they most certainly aren’t is competitive.

Mind you, Harry is bang on. We’re definitely not a ‘club’. We are a shower of arseholes. But we’re fiercely proud of that fact 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

We have matching shirts to prove it.

chakaping
    Free Member

Although I’m super competitive I worry that any MTB clubs will be full of equally annoying competitive people!

😆

This is probably why there are relatively few MTB clubs.

bikebouy
    Free Member

OP, clearly you’ve done the “look for a local cycling club” thing? Not all of them are Roadies, certainly not in my Club.

First place I’d be checking out if I was seeking riding buddies, certainly not POF (isn’t that a dating site?)

Or join that lot who eat pies for breakfast ^^

GolfChick
    Free Member

Yeah my theory was, Im pretty sure you can mark yourself as ‘just looking for friend’ (ridiculous I know but maybe I was wondering if there was similar)

I’ve checked out local clubs before yeah but I’ve heard not great things about one nearby club and the other is full of roadies.

hora
    Free Member

I ride with whoever whenever. OP you threaten to rejoin POF, surely that’s in jest?!

DickBarton

Where are you based? Some local trailbuilding in Falkirk going on this weekend…absolutely no use if you aren’t within about a 30 minute drive (apparently that makes you local!).

Local club – you have heard, but have you tried for yourself? IF not, give it a go and see how you get on…at worse, you have another bike ride under your belt (or chamois!).

jes
    Free Member

GC I think your local to me, so a couple of options if you can travel a few miles is the Bridgenorth club, but I think this is quiet steady mixed group and restricted to the local area and dudmaston, see FB page.

Or LGB organises female group rides occasionally around Malvern, may be associated with a Malvern club but not sure, can possibly let you have contact details if interested.

aracer
    Free Member

Localish to me in that case – I’ll be your friend 🙂

If Malvern is close to home, then quite a strong female contingent in Malvern Cycle Sport if you’re wanting to avoid blokes ( 🙁 ) and there are some female only group rides.

bigdean

When you work it out let me know, i’m crap at the whole friends thing.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Although I’m super competitive I worry that any MTB clubs will be full of equally annoying competitive people!

THIS is precisely why I ride on my own all the time.

And have no friends 😐

Hummmmph…

mark90
    Free Member

My couple of local mates who ride where rarely available the same times/days as me, so I started to look around for ways to meet other riding buddies.

Meetup.com is a possibility if there is a mountain biking group, or an outdoor activities group that does some mountain biking meets. Getting to know a some people through my local Meetup group led to going along to a few rides with the local MTB club and also joining a local facebook group. Now I have so many riding possibilities I just can’t fit them all in.

So as well as investigating any local clubs I’d say check out Meetup and Facebook for any local MTB groups, although not all are publically visible to non-members, which is why a bit of ‘networking’ is best.

canopy
    Free Member

In the spirit of this thread. I ride the Quantocks most Sundays, so if you fancy a ride you’re welcome to tag along with us. Usually me or me and a mate.

Here’s the plan for Sunday – https://www.strava.com/routes/6440434

jekkyl

try this: http://www.cyclingbuddy.com/
    I’ve never tried it just aware of it’s existence.
    The other way I’ve found of meeting people is to add randoms who keep popping up on your local strava segments. Comment with your email address perhaps and see if you can hook up for a ride. You get a good sense of the distance and time they go out from people’s strava feed so you’ll get to see who would match you.

flap_jack
    Free Member

large club on Berkhemsted if you’re located around there.

grizedaleforest

Female friend did a ladies-only skills course, at Whinlatter I think. Not only did it do wonders for her riding, but she now meets up regularly to ride with some of the women. Even though they’re geographically scattered, they seem to be able to meet a couple of times a month for rides.

rOcKeTdOg

you’re still welcome to come on a NWAlpsCC ride, we’re probably too slow though

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NWAlps/

deadkenny
    Free Member

Started out finding rides arranged on a forum. Bunch of people just looking to get out and ride local places. Informal and social.

Then a local expert showed me loads of the trails and cheeky stuff. I rode them a lot solo and in groups, found a lot more, learnt the area, and then find I’m in demand as I know the trails.

redthunder
    Free Member

“Birds on Bikes”

Search on FB.

My GF is involved and is quite an active group countrywide.

http://birdsonbikes.biz

https://m.facebook.com/groups/birdsonbikes

wl
    Free Member

Don’t want to sound harsh but perhaps try to be a bit less annoyingly competitive? Most rides with other people involve a bit of route compromise/waiting around etc. Good luck though – hope you find a nice bunch.

IHN

Just to add a mild observation, it looks a bit like you want to meet people that ride at the pace you want, in the group size you want, at the time you want, in the area you want. You may need to be a bit more flexible, at least at first, until you do meet a few people/groups and then it’ll naturally whittle down to the ones who are most ‘suitable’.

I say this from experience of my OH; we moved to a new area and she was not happy that she could not make new friends, but was not really willing to put the effort/compromise in to make it happen. So it didn’t.

lowey

Don’t want to sound harsh but perhaps try to be a bit less annoyingly competitive? Most rides with other people involve a bit of route compromise/waiting around etc. Good luck though – hope you find a nice bunch.

+1. Sounds like your looking for an MTB version of a Chain Gang.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Making friends as an adult’ is closed to new replies.