Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Making by Trail bike lighter – its not easy
  • ddmonkey

So now I am getting a freeride bike I can make my Spec Enduro a bit lighter and more of an all-dayer than a one bike does all type bike. Thought I’d use some of the heavier more DH-ish bits from it for the freeride build and try to lighten it up with some more trail specific bits, so….

Before I started it weighed 33.6 lbs (yikes, well it is an XL with some 55’s on the front and a Reverb dropper)

So I took off the Deore brakes and put on some XTR Trail.
    I took off the 203mm / 180mm Hope floating rotors and put 180mm Ice rotors on
    I swapped the 780mm Renthal DH bars for some 740mm Renthal Litebars

It now weights….. 33.3 lbs 😆

stevied
    Free Member

Wheels and tyres will give you the best returns for saving weight/making the bike more ‘do it all’ IMO

ddmonkey

I should add that the next steps are: XT cranks for the SLX cranks, lighter flat pedals, lighter wheel set (Arch vs Flow), lighter chain device (MRP AMG for a E13 LG1)

Can I break the 33 lb barrier and make the trail come alive?

ahwiles
    Free Member

normally, i’m the first to wade in and tell you to stop worrying about it.

but Marzocchi 55 forks are very, very, very, very heavy.

(the crown is an open C section, so not at all suited to resist fork-twang, it’s massively over built to compensate)

i’m not kidding, they’re probably close to 2500g, if not more. maybe it’s just the way i ride, but i notice fork weight, i guess it’s because lifting the front wheel over obstacles is a more-or-less constant process.

ddmonkey – Member

I should add that the next steps are: XT cranks for the SLX cranks,

that’ll save a massive 20 grams.

ddmonkey

I’m doing this because I may as well while I’m getting a few bits to enable the Freeride bike build, not because I’m a weight weenie, but its interesting just how little return you get by upgrading and also just how good the cheaper stuff like Deore is these days. Those 55’s are going nowhere but I know what you are saying, if I really wanted to drop weight I’d have to get some air forks but no way – the way the bike rides is the most important thing, not the weight 8)

ahwiles
    Free Member

they’re coil?!

good grief, don’t weigh them, they’ll break the scales!

🙂

kayak23

the way the bike rides is the most important thing, not the weight

So the reason for this thread is?….
    😉

My Mega weighs about the same, but started off over 34 lbs, until I fitted slx cranks and Hope hoops on Flows.
    It’s a small frame too, but it still rides great so meh…
    Would like to swap the Lyriks for some new Pikes at some point mind..

ddmonkey

No earth shattering reason for the thread, just thought it was funny how little the weight moved.

stevied
    Free Member

make the trail come alive?

According to some sources you’ll need a different wheel size to do that 😉

rob-jackson
    Free Member

I have just done similar with my fat pitch as i like to call it!

knocked 622g off by swapping:

E13 xcx 60g Vs chain device
    Stainless ring 150g VsWorks components 40g
    Zee cranks 750g Vs SLX cranks 595g
    Charge spoon 327g Vs Charge knife 220g
    Superstar grips 160g Vs ESI 60g
    pedals nanos 440 Vs mag lites 310g

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

If you looked at the before & after potential weight savings, you could have picked a whole lot more beneficial items in the first place.

For starters if you swapped that fat old 2.5kg lump of a fork for a new Pike you would saved ~1.5lbs alone…

It is easy – you just have to apply some common sense 😉

honourablegeorge

Tyres would be the first thing I’d look at – esp. going tubeless. What tyres are on it now?

ddmonkey

“that’ll save a massive 20 grams”

Basically I am going to make my bike look much lighter 😆

ddmonkey

How very dare you call my lovely plush fork a fat old lump! 😆

Yes If I really wanted to save a massive amount of weight a set of the new Pikes would be great, but hey ho 🙂

kimbers

33.5lbs isnt that heavy

I imagine that most peoples trails bikes weigh a similar amount, especially in xl (forum willy waving magic scales aside)

lighter wheels is probably the best bet assuming youre not running a super cheap n heavy cassette?

DanW
    Free Member

Not being funny but with changes like this…

I took off the 203mm / 180mm Hope floating rotors and put 180mm Ice rotors on

Changing some reasonable weight rotors for some of the heaviest available isn’t going to lose you weight. Perhaps equal weights at best, more likely gaining weight?

So I took off the Deore brakes and put on some XTR Trail

The brakes themselves would have only saved ~40g per end as XTR Trail are also reeeaaasonably heavy, relatively speaking.

I swapped the 780mm Renthal DH bars for some 740mm Renthal Litebars

~60g saved?

The small weight saving sounds very plausible.

I think some more research on the weight of the components you have and what you plan to buy- real weight not claimed too will help. This is of course assuming weight is really important to you.

tmb467
    Free Member

my Spec Enduro was 34.5lbs without a reverb

Fox 36 Vans weigh a bit 🙂

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Without changing the frame, it’s only ever forks, wheels, tyres and the cassette where you can make any truly significant difference unless you have truly shockingly heavy parts on the rest of the bike. There’s just not all that much difference in weight between comparatively heavy gears and brakes and light ones. The only other significant savings are removing things entirely.
    Look at the (real) weights of what you have and what you could get and calculate the saving per £. If it doesn’t save you more than 1g per £ it’s really not worth worrying about if you aren’t a total weight weeny. SLX to XT cranks is a total fail on this front, particularly if you aren’t running all three of the stock rings.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Get a narrow wide chainring for the front and go 1×10. The cheapest way of lightening your bike, as you’ll be able to sell the front mech and chain device for the price of a chain ring. Prob save over 500g.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

In fact, if you run a bash ring, get rid of that as well, by the time you get rid of front shifter too, I’d revise my 500g to 1000g!.

BoardinBob

Going 1×9 cut a pound off my Reign X. Crazy heavy Roco Coil R shock on the back is going to be replaced shortly with an air shock. Lighter tyres also shed a fair bit of weight.

fudge9202
    Free Member

As was quoted to me from a contributor here ” sod the bikes weight shed the pounds in body fat!”
    But I ran a new set of wheels on pro2 evo hubs ad tubeless tyres, made a big difference.

njee20
    Free Member

especially in xl

Size is a red herring, half a pound or so.

mrhoppy

Upgrade smarter, you need to look at things that have some weight in them 1st. The forks are the place for the biggest wins, then depending on what you have on there in the 1st place look at tyres (potentially half a pound and better rolling at the same time), cassette & chain (1/4 lb), saddle (1/4 lb) and going 1x upfront.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’m in a very similar position in knowing fullwell that my all day/trail bike is getting a bit porky but I can’t see much room to trim weight without either spending a fortune or compromising its capability.

I know exactly where the weight is but it’s all stuff that I wouldn’t want to lose.
    Marzocchi coil fork.
    CCDB coil shock.
    Dual ply Minnion on the rear.
    Reverb.

So I’ve basically given up worrying about it as I’m happy with the way it rides.

My only serious suggestion would be maybe think if you can swap the 55 for a 44RC3ti

ddmonkey

Interesting point on the Ice rotor, I assumed they would be light because they go with the XTR brakes but as you say maybe not. The bike is already 1 x 10

DanW
    Free Member

I assumed they would be light because they go with the XTR brakes

If you are spending money with weight saving at least partially in the equation assume nothing! 😀

XTR trail brake are not light and Ice Tech rotors are not light. The do seem to be popular and work well though 😀 Very happy with my XTR Race brakes with all Ti bolts and Hope’s lightest rotors. Tried KCNC rotors and the like but found the performance drops off in the wet so gained 15g per rotor with Hope

chakaping
    Free Member

its not easy

you’re not making it easy.

Northwind

It’s not a bad weight anyway. But you can’t really save weight without knowing what it already weighs- scales and spreadsheet time!

ahwiles
    Free Member

honourablegeorge – Member

Tyres would be the first thing I’d look at – esp. going tubeless.

‘tubeless’ isn’t a weight saver!

a tube weighs 200g.

if you go ‘ghetto’ – you replace the tube with 100g of butchered tube, and then add 100g of sealant, you can add less, but good luck sealing any punctures.

if you do it properly, you replace the tube with heavier rims and tyres, and then add 100g of sealant.

it’s not a weight saver!1!1!111!!!!

🙂

And, while i’m ranting. unless you’ve got silly Dh tyres on your xc bike, lighter tyres are usually crap tyres.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

If weight saving is a true goal, you need a spreadsheet 😉

Part, Weight, Replacement, Weight, Cost – then work out cost per g saved.

It’ll throw up some surprises and allow you to spend money wisely.

Prioritise depending on the end result you want and compromises you want to make – or see how little you won’t save without touching frame and forks!

MarkLG
    Free Member

My 08 Enduro weighs 28-29lbs, depending on pedals/tyres fitted. That’s on a 5.5lbs carbon frame with Revelations and fairly light Easton wheels. You could get down to around 30lbs, but it’ll need some major expenditure, starting with the forks and wheels.
    30lbs seems to be good weight for a 6″ trail bike with durable components.

ddmonkey

Ha ha yes I was not scientific in my approach, I just assumed anything with XTR on it or Lite in the name would be a bit lighter than what I already had 🙂 Any big weight saving would require serious money (Pikes) and its not worth for me when the stuff I already have works so bloomin well. I think the new wheels should a bit of a difference, along with lighter pedals. I will report back once all done!

Aiming for that magic 33lb barrier…

honourablegeorge

ahwiles – Member

‘tubeless’ isn’t a weight saver!

a tube weighs 200g.

if you go ‘ghetto’ – you replace the tube with 100g of butchered tube, and then add 100g of sealant, you can add less, but good luck sealing any punctures.

if you do it properly, you replace the tube with heavier rims and tyres, and then add 100g of sealant.

it’s not a weight saver!1!1!111!!!!

And, while i’m ranting. unless you’ve got silly Dh tyres on your xc bike, lighter tyres are usually crap tyres.

I’d say pretty much everything you’ve said there is wrong. He’s already on Flows, so no need to change rims for heavier, or any need for a rim strip, or any more than a scoop to two of sealant. Tubeless ready tyre like a Hans Dampf is no heavier than a standard tyre, and is probably lighter than what he has, guessing from the weight of the bike. Tubeless doesn’t mean heavier tyres. Even staying with his existing tyres, if they’re Maxxis or something else that works well, means losing the tube, and gaining 50-60g of sealant.

I wouldn’t do tubeless purely for weight saving, but when you get all the other benefits, plus lose grams from he wheels, it’s a win win.

chakaping
    Free Member

Where do you ride the thing?

Wouldn’t you be better swapping for a 140mm or something, unless you live somewhere boom gnarly.

Northwind

ahwiles – Member

What a load of rubbish… stans rims are lighter than most of their non-tubeless competitors, tubeless ready tyres can weigh exactly the same (lots of people choose TLR with tubes anyway), and there’s a pretty high chance that your existing tyres will work fine.

100g of sealant is a lot, too, that’s about what I use for downhill tyres.

banks
    Free Member

First dibs on the 55s!

mindmap3
    Free Member

I agree with Honourable – for me going tubeless shed a fair chunk of weight – my previous single ply DH High Rollers were 900g or so plus the weight of a tube where the replacement Hans Dampfs were 700g plus a bit of sealant.

My Easton wheels saved a fair chunk of weight compared to my previous wheels.

Pedals could be looked at too – my Azonic A Frames weighed loads compared to the Nano’s that replaced them.

Any chance or posting up more of a spec list?

My Rune weighs in at 33lbs on the nose and could be lightened by ditching the 36 Vans, CCDBa and Reverb – but none of them are going anywhere. I can still climb reasonably well on it and didn’t get destroyed too badly the other week in Swaledale by the mostly XC boys that I was with.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

If you are already on 1×10, ditch the chain device and bash ring and run a narrow/wide ring. If you are really nervous about retention an E-13 XCX weighs 60g.
    For interest to those suggesting 1000g by going 1x, I saved a bit over 500g off my bike by going from 2×10 with an E12 DRS and bash to a N/W ring and an XCX. The removal of the bash ring and mech / shifter etc was the big thing.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Pah! My steel hardtail trail bike is heavier than that!

Just get bigger legs.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Making by Trail bike lighter – its not easy’ is closed to new replies.