Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Making Bacon – Not for the veggies…
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

So just to make clear this is about turning these

[/url] 2013-02-17 14.49.57-2 by Mike Smith 79, on Flickr[/img]
    Into

The dispatch is taken care of but anybody had some experience of the butchering? Not done anything this size before, have a few you tube guides and friends who we are doing it with did theirs last year too. Looking for some tips for joints, cuts and stuff along with any good uses.
    Reading up on curing etc and wondering if I can get away with freezing it until I have a bit more time or just go mad all weekend.

wwaswas

maybe get a pro in?

You don’t want to make a pigs ear out of it 😉

geoffj

HFW has done a DVD which is pretty good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0038409IS

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’ve got one and a half of those in the freezer. I didn’t dismantle them though.

portlyone

Where are you based? My local butcher does demo nights in local pubs/bars. Couple of weeks ago he was knife deep in a lamb carcase.

atlaz
    Free Member

Pretty sure that the Ginger Pig butchers in London does lessons in butchery

z1ppy

can’t help but mmmmmmMMMM Bacon (sausage, ham, tender loin…etc etc)

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Is it worth doing yourself? I think most butchers don’t charge the earth.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Go mad all weekend, get family/friends to pitch in. its possible to freeze, then thaw and salt later, but you will get an inferior product.
    Butcher it any way you want to, you-tube is your friend for this. Best to hang the pig by the back feet to halve it, it can be done flat but is a swine to do! 8)
    Unless you have experience of preserving/salting I would advise just try it first on less choice cuts, or smaller best bits so you dont lose much if it fails.

Good luck!

22 years butchering, but difficult to explain how to butcher on here. Is there a local butcher who would come and show you? Thats the way I have demonstrated in the past.

Cougar

I’m glad you pointed out that bacon isn’t for veggies, we’d never have known otherwise.

(-:

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Captain Carbon Cheers, not much chance for a demo as we start at 8am 🙂 down here in Tassie, friends have done it before so not too worried. Looks like Sunday will be busy!

Got some good You Tube and HFW’s book

MrNutt
    Free Member

you my friend, need a smoker!

scaredypants

Cougar, streaky bacon’s fine for veggies – it’s mostly fat rather than meat, and the pig’s usually dead by the time they butcher it anyway

that’s the trouble with you lot – no research 🙄

mt
    Free Member

Cougar, a person shows some respect by giving a warning and you get all sarcastic. Ban yourself. 🙂

Cougar

Tell you what, as a compromise I’ll ban myself from this thread. As you were. (-:

mikewsmith
    Free Member

cheers for your attention Cougar, perhaps delegate mod duty to a meat eater.

Smoking was a thought, more research needed

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

I’m a veggie and this thread makes me happy; they look like healthy content pigs…raising and caring for your own food, just as it should be, chapeau to you sir!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Quick Cougar’s not looking lets do something naughty

*whispers* It’s getting boring on here

corroded
    Free Member

You’re in Tas, aren’t you? The Agrarian Kitchen do a popular butchery course but its cost will negate any savings. Luke Burgess at Garagistes in Hobart is into his charcuterie and recommended me a book a while back – I’ll try to dig it out. The best option is likely to be chatting to a farming type who has done it before. Quite envious here!

ocrider

I’ve got a mate who’s a trained butcher and it is a pleasure to see him at work. Get a pro in to show you how its really done and don’t forget a handful of mates for the black pudding and sausage making.

whattyre
    Free Member

ive done a few butchery courses and they were great..not pro ones just as a xmas pressie,learnt loads about meat/cuts etc.and came home with enough meat to fill me freezer 😀
    still got some left..

me too very jealous…would love to rear a beast!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Part 1 complete 🙂

2013-05-17 13.23.07 by Mike Smith 79, on Flickr

2013-05-17 11.08.19 by Mike Smith 79, on Flickr

2013-05-17 10.24.58 by Mike Smith 79, on Flickr

2013-05-17 11.43.29 by Mike Smith 79, on Flickr
    All 3 are now half way through, fairly easy with 6 sets of hands for the lifting and shifting. Just researching cured meats tonight before the butchering tomorrow. Need to pick my cuts and build a smoker.

ocrider

Excellent work, thats just what I want to see on a Friday morning: A bath. Full of blood!

And some people say that this place is boring….

tutgareth
    Free Member

damn it! I’m going to have to have gammon egg and chips for lunch now! Yum 😀

eskay

What is that strange blue colour to the sky……..?

DezB
    Free Member

Couldn’t put my finger on it… but there was something familiar about those pics..

these fellas been around lately Mike?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A bath. Full of blood!

Sorry to disappoint it’s just muddy water, had to shave the pigs somehow!

johndoh
    Free Member

Stoner
    Free Member

For a birthday present many moons ago Mrs Stoner sent me to HFW’s river cottage boot camp to learn how to butcher lamb & hogget. Was brilliant, and I still butcher half a local lamb each autumn for the freezer.

I reckon assuming that god put all the internal components in roughly the same place I could have a go at a piggy too 🙂 Im tempted to get a side of pig from the farm opposite to cure my own bacon.

And this is one of my favourite books. Less a recipe book then an essay on good husbandry and respect for your food.

ocrider

Sorry to disappoint it’s just muddy water, had to shave the pigs somehow!

Aw, booooring 😀

endurobadger
    Free Member

bacon is apparently easy, i’m making some as we speak though not ready for a few days, so not sure if it will be nice / horrid / poison me. you will need some saltpetre for bacon, so you need to ask a friendly butcher.

made some sausages last week which were ace

you could also make a parma ham which am also trying, but be 6 months before know it has worked

did a butchery course last week which was ace. retired chap ran it, v skilled, i think there is prob a v big difference between an expert and someone (possibly lots of butchers) who can chop something up into reasonable bits.

portlyone

Did you keep the blood for some lovely non-Bury black pudding?

eskay

Johndoh-I thought exactly the same when I saw the thread title!

That is a great game, it always goes on holiday with us!

bigjim

lovely pigs! great animals. and tasty too…mmm

johndoh
    Free Member

Johndoh-I thought exactly the same when I saw the thread title!

That is a great game, it always goes on holiday with us!

Yep – great Aprés Ski game 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

“I’m going to become a vegetarian”

“Does that mean you’re not going to eat any pork?”

“Yes”

“Bacon?”

“Yes Dad”

“Ham?”

“Dad all those meats come from the same animal”

“Right Lisa, some wonderful, magical animal!”

TooTall
    Free Member

I have a couple of mates who are lucky enough to have the room to process and store that much pork and either did courses or partnered up with someone else who could butcher. They nearly all ‘go halfers’ on a pig and split the work and subsequent meat between two people at a time.

I will have enough room some day!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And this is one of my favourite books. Less a recipe book then an essay on good husbandry and respect for your food.

As I grew up on a farm that is a given thankfully.

Looked up a few cured ideas and it’s all go on Sunday…

jonahtonto
    Free Member

done it a few times. going to try doing some cured mutton next 🙂 once did a ‘parma’ style ham that was hung for about 18months in the end and it was good. like really really good. bacon and pancetta shouldnt give you any problems. be brave, cavemen used to do it and you have you tube at your disposal.
    i dont use salt peter though and i wouldnt recommend it – its only to retain the colour and its really bad for you

im in corsica at the moment and the charcuterie here is amazing, like, even the stuff hanging up in the petrol station shops is amazing.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Final update till after the curing – which will be accompanied by more questions.

Like a scene from Dexter we got stuck in

Untitled by Mike Smith 79, on Flickr
    Many hands make – bacon

Ribs anyone?

2 of our 3 surgeons making swift pogress

All chopped and in the fridge & freezer now except for these bits

Ribs by Mike Smith 79, on Flickr

The final count up is 44kg of good free range pork ready for use! (From 1 of the 3 pigs – we had half of the brown one and half of the black one)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Making Bacon – Not for the veggies…’ is closed to new replies.