Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • making a structure out of carbon tubes
  • scotia
    Free Member

anyone done this on here and got real world results?

need to make a structure for our van conversion.. i have an idea to make the bed in the rear a sliding affair, but in length rather than width.. so its got to go from 900mm to 1800mm when in use.

ideally out of square or round tubing.

had a class of composites when at uni but have never used it in anger..

dovebiker

Why carbon? Lots of modular aluminium alloy extrusions with connectors available e.g. Kanya

scotia
    Free Member

Well, I’ve done the first bed in wood and it was too heavy and cumbersome to deploy..

the second is currently in Alu but I’m trying to make it lighter and a better design…

just trying to to find an easy way to join the tubes..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotia
    Free Member

Can’t edit the last one…

also to reduce the bare metal in the van with regards to condensation..

CountZero

also to reduce the bare metal in the van with regards to condensation…

Honestly, would alloy tubing of the sort of size needed, make any significant difference to any possible condensation issues?

scotia
    Free Member

Maybe not but weight is an issue I’m trying to ‘fix’ and it is lighter.

richmars

I’ve made a few bike frames from home made carbon tubes. I guess you’re talking about buying ready made tubes?

How are you going to join them together? You can cut them fairly easily and mitre them, then glue them together with carbon fibre and epoxy.

It’s doable, but I think I’d use Al tubes or extrusions.

dovebiker

The problem with joining / bonding composites is needing to jig it to make sure it stays straight – RK Rose+Kreiger – might find something that works with standard size carbon tubes. Also, if you’re clamping carbon tubes to take a load e.g. cantilever, you really need an alloy insert (found out the hard way with medical prosthetics many years ago).

Reducing condensation in a camper is down to ventilation IME, or having efficient heating such that all the interior fittings warm-up so condensation doesn’t form – you’ll still get it on the windows though

scotia
    Free Member

yeah ok forget i mentioned the condesnsation! stupid idea..

i was looking here: https://dragonplate.com/

and here: https://www.rockwestcomposites.com/connector-accessories/carbonnect

for inspiration. clamping carbon tubes? I wasnt going to clamp them as such. If using the rock west type solution there is an alu insert – i thought it looked quite neat solution..

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

As said joining would be the issue.

Can’t the wooden idea be refined/lightened?

Plenty of people opt for slats that separate (usually sideways) but no reason you couldn’t do that lengthways. It’s not particularly heavy and always easy enough to use IME

stuey
    Free Member

Can it be square tubed?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Square-25mm-Tube-1-Tube-Connectors-Speed-Construction-Frame-3-Meter/111293175718?hash=item19e99717a6:m:m0T9ETTPG0IWqDmp4zfScUw

Or you can ‘internally’ jig butted tubes and wrap joints with CF cloth or tow a la ‘bamboo’ bike. ( I wonder what a bamboo frame would weigh? )

stuey
    Free Member

<edit> -Rockwest stuff looks great – but spendy 😉

richmars

How much load are you putting on them?

scotia
    Free Member

we weigh 65 and 58kg so not much..! the rear satic frame is fully supported but the sliding part would rest upon the end of the static frame and then have front feet to support it.

refining the wooden one i had done – no – it was a copy of the amdro bed and it was a faff to deploy and cut out the rear view mirror. My wife couldnt put the bed out and when i did it meant going from in the van to the outside. With the sliding bed, it can be made up from inside.

ive been trying to design a wooden one with slats and i probably should stay with that idea.. cheapest and relatively easy to construct. I just need to get round the guidance for the sliding parts…havent had the lightbulb moment for that. Ideally i need to be able to prevent the sliding part from lifting out and be able to lock it in position as well when its open.

i’ll see – thanks for the ideas/suggestions.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

This is the sliding style I’ve seen/used. This is sideways but easy enough for it to be lengthways instead.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Bamboo

FuzzyWuzzy

Holy cow https://www.rockwestcomposites.com/connector-accessories/carbonnect/carbonnect-projects $2500 for a foot square shelf unit…

richmars

FuzzyWuzzy,

When I looked at the website I guessed at about £30-40 per joint. I think I underestimated!

scotia
    Free Member

yikes! i hadnt seen the prices.

ok wood it’ll be. i have the basframe made for the back, will just fix the wood slats onto that.

thnaks!

wwaswas

I’d get one of those LIDL welders and have a go myself. Would be an interesting project.

My experience is that making wooden structures sufficiently stiff makes them weigh about the same as a steel one anyway.

neilwheel
    Free Member

If you make a sliding frame on the length, I can’t see how you will avoid having a hard point in the middle.

welshfarmer

Just a thought. There was a bike frame made of stock carbon tube with custom made joints that were 3D printed to suit. Could be worth getting a cheap 3D printer and having a go at something similar 🙂

FuzzyWuzzy

Wasn’t that metal 3D printed lugs though (as in not something you could do on a cheap 3D printer :p )?

scotia
    Free Member

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 12.8px;”>If you make a sliding frame on the length, I can’t see how you will avoid having a hard point in the middle.</span>

well the current proto works, and is comfy so i dint see the issue in that really. i see the point but i cant get around that really. camping is of course a compromise. just need a comfy mattress..

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘making a structure out of carbon tubes’ is closed to new replies.