Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Make some music Challenge
  • ajantom

As we’re all going to be mostly stuck at home for the foreseeable future I’ve decided to set myself the challenge of writing (well improvising), recording and posting a piece of music every day.

Anyone else want to join in?

No rules really, but i’m setting myself the limits of it must be newly written (no reusing old material or recordings), tunes no longer than 5 minutes, and I’m trying to record and upload them in under 30 mins to keep it mangeable.

Here’s the first 3….

AdamT

Good idea. I’m trying to make a track with various work colleagues (all WFH). I’m going to give them all a quick lesson in Reaper and Ableton beforehand. I just have to figure out how to route my Ableton output to Skype/teams. Might throw something up on here though. That said, my son has my music pc for school work, so have to try and get it set up on my laptop

schrickvr6
    Free Member

A remix I’ve done over the last week of Scuba – Never Forget

And some older odds and sods

https://komarebi.bandcamp.com/album/hold-tight

ajantom

Couple more days of musical doodlings…

ajantom

Still throwing tunes out into the ether…
    Listen to Isolation 8 by Chien Andalou on #SoundCloud

ajantom

Not quite every day (I have to go and teach/babysit sone kids every so often), but here’s the next few tunes…

Listen to Isolation 11 by Chien Andalou on #SoundCloud

ajantom

Still making sounds…
    Check out Chien Andalou on #SoundCloud

AdamT

I’m still trying to find the time to get my work folk set up. My work has been very busy so not got around to it yet.

ajantom

I’m on about a tune every 2 days….only deleted and restarted once. That’s why there’s an Isolation 12b!
    Mostly doing it once kids are in bed, and wife is reading her book.

Planning on trying a virtual band practice with my band, but not sure if it will work with WiFi lag. We’ll see 🤨

AdamT

Try jamtaba for online jamming

Klunk
    Free Member

some terrible twiddling to blues alegre on guitar backing tracks. recorded from an iphone 5 (memo) and unedited (and cut short as i have to mail it to myself from the phone)

beej

Just ordered one of these:

https://m-audio.com/keystation-49-mk3

Comes with a bunch of software. Should I use Ableton Live Lite, or Pro-Tools First as the DAW? I was a Cubase user back in the day.

I’m astonished by the value these days – £73 for the hardware and software that’ll do way more that what I spent 1000s in the early 90s. It’ll be nice to play a keyboard again, that was my first instrument, been just guitar for about 15 years.

I was encouraged to buy something as an “indoor hobby” by Ms Beej!

guitarhero
    Free Member

Not quite following the rule here as this is a rework of a song I’ve tried to record to my satisfaction previously but pretty happy with the results with just a bit more tweaking of the mix. Plan was to wait till I’d done 4 tracks and release an EP on Spotify etc. but might just put them out one at at time as I’m struggling for time to dedicate to it.
    Deadman’s Waltz

ajantom

Just ordered one of these:

https://m-audio.com/keystation-49-mk3

Comes with a bunch of software. Should I use Ableton Live Lite, or Pro-Tools First as the DAW? I was a Cubase user back in the day.

That’s a good bit if kit for the price 👍
    Ableton and Protools are very different beasts. If you were a Cubase user then PT is probably closer to what you’re used to.
    I’m mostly an Ableton user (got the full v.10 suite) but it’s much more geared towards live performance and looping, samples, etc.
    You can use it as a DAW, but if I’m doing ‘proper’ recording for my band or others then I’ll use a more traditional DAW setup (Traktion or Logic are the two I have).

ajantom

Not quite following the rule here

There are no rules man 😉

I’ve not stuck to the everyday or 30 minute ‘rule’.

They are all new compositions so far though.

seosamh77
    Free Member
    Klunk
    Free Member

this is my warmup on the spanish probably a hash of something i heard many moons ago please excuse the quality of the playing I’m quite drunk after sunday lunch an my nails are shot at the moment 🙁

beej

Well, ProTools first was being glitchy so I downloaded Cakewalk (which is free), then splashed out on a bunch of VSTs. Spent the next couple of hours grinning like an idiot just playing though the presets. Recorded a few initial bars… this could become a bit of a time sink. I’ve not got anything worth sharing though!

AdamT

I’m an Ableton user. My son stole my desktop, do I’ve been trying to figure together stuff to get my recording setup back again. Will try and record something tonight

ajantom

Favourite one so far…

AdamT

Ok. I’m cheating…. This was an old one, but will post up a couple of recent ones very soon.

ajantom

Up to nearly 3 albums worth of stuff during the lockdown period now!

here’s the most recent one, a bit of shimmery, sci-fi inspired, breaky stuff…

beej

Go on then… first thing I did

AdamT

Thread resurrection! I was waiting for some vocals form my sister-in-law to finish another track, so whacked this together in a couple of hours. It’s mainly samples from various places with some drawn in parts. The bass is live played though (except later on where I chop it up into tiny pieces and revers parts of it :-))

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Holy bat resurrection Threadman!

Like that Adam, nice stuff. Here’s a track off my new album out tomorrow, I made it in early lockdown so it’s got a bit of a gloomy vibe.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Make some music Challenge’ is closed to new replies.