Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Maintaining presta valves when using Stans
  • krixmeister

I’m using Stans spooge for both my road and MTB wheels, and (per various previous posts) loving it. Only one problem – my road wheels in particular are getting to the point where I can’t open the presta valves by hand; the threads have gotten gunked up to the point that I have to use a pair of pliers to open and close them. I’ve tried a bit of wipe with a damp towel, no luck – it helped for about one use, but then they go back to being unable to open/close without the extra leverage of pliers.

Any ideas on how to properly clean the threads, and then maintain so that this isn’t a problem in the future?

mr_mills
    Free Member

Take the valve cores out every so often and pick the gunk out. You can also replace the cores by buying spares or “borrowing” them out of an inner tube.

singlespeedstu

Remove the core and take it apart.
    Clean and re-assemble.

njee20
    Free Member

+1 to the above. If you unscrew the little knurled bit all the way you can disassemble the valve core and clean that out too. I find they get full of dry latex and air doesn’t flow as well.

loum
    Free Member

only open them at 3 or 9 o’clock.

krixmeister

Thanks all. To clarify – it’s the threads of the core that are getting gunked-up. It’s not impacting the airflow, just my ability to unscrew (open) or screw (close) the valve with my feeble girlie-man hands. So I’m hoping there’s something (a bit of grease?) that would keep the Stans from turning to superglue on the threads.

Thanks again for ideas!

druidh
    Free Member

What if you get a puncture and it’s only lunch time?

Onzadog
    Free Member

After filling and inflating, I put a little m-prep on the thread. I imagine any grease would work though.

strike
    Free Member

I’ve found removing the core and soaking it in petrol for several hours breaks down the goo really well.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I used to have this problem but now I always use a valve cap which I put a drop of oil in before fitting and don’t have the problem any more .

nosedive
    Free Member

I just replace them as I fear getting stuck somewhere cold and wet and not being able to get the valves open

I managed to get a pack of 10 for about £6 last time I bought some. I can’t find them that cheap any more though, cheapest I can find is £10 for a pack of 10

ratherbeintobago

IIRC they recommend the (obviously practical step) of stroring your wheels with the valves at 45 deg to vertical.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Doofer for removing presta valve cores (the black bit)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Maintaining presta valves when using Stans’ is closed to new replies.