Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Mail program
  • muddyjames
    Free Member

Years ago I used outlook express to do my emails at home and it did Hotmail and pop /SMTP clients. It was a cut Down version of outlook but stored all your emails in an easy to search and use fashion.

Now I have windows mail. Which I struggle with. Doesn’t seem to store all emails and is hard to find what you want.

Any suggestions For programmes – It needs to link with Hotmail? I’m Running Windows 10 (I think!)

ffej
    Free Member

Thunderbird? Does hotmail I think.. easy enough to use..

Cougar

As did I, going back from when the Internet was still in black and white and Outlook Express was “Internet Mail and News.” And I stopped using a full-fat email client when Windows 7 was still in short pants.

I see no compelling reason to use a POP3 client these days unless you’re looking forward to starting a “my hard drive died and I’ve lost a decade’s worth of emails” thread in the near future. Webmail all the way. Accessible from anywhere, no synchronisation woes or “I can’t send email when on a different connection” and most web clients are as fully featured as their local bretheren.

I’m Running Windows 10 (I think!)

Start, winver

If you’re not you should be.

muddyjames
    Free Member

I’d like to be able to view Hotmail via a programme so that I can search, edit and save down emails in the same way as you can from outlook full fat.

Does thunder bird offer similar functionality to outlook?

oldnpastit

I used a commercial product, Hiri, for a while.

Pros: works on linux, integrates with calendars.
    Cons: unusably crashy. Recurring credit card charges.

Cougar

save down emails

What do you mean by this? Like, save .eml files?

(And, why?!)

Does thunder bird offer similar functionality to outlook?

Thunderbird was the closest thing I found to The Artist Formerly Known as Outlook Express last I looked, about a decade ago.

muddyjames
    Free Member

Yes .eml. I need to download a number of emails to attach and send using another email. I don’t want to forward one by one.

I have checked and I do have windows 10.

Cougar

Why? What’s the “another” email? Do you mean a new email or a different account?

I’ve just tried this with Hotmail, you can drag ‘n’ drop emails into new ones in the web interface. Click New Message then go back to your Inbox and a draft message tab appears at the bottom of the window. Then you can pick up and drop multiple messages onto that tab.

I’ve been using PCs for 30 years and not once has “save to the file system as .eml” been the preferable solution to any problem ever. Whatever you’re trying to achieve there’s surely a better way of doing it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Mail program’ is closed to new replies.