Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Magura’s with Shimano rotors?
  • matt_outandabout

I’ve a choice of Magura Trail Sport or Deore 4-pot.

The Shimano’s I’m wary of, these are replacement for leaky 2-pot Deores.

I know that Magura use 0.2mm thicker rotors. In my head that’s not even a half pad of wear.

Does it make a difference? Anyone else run Shimano rotors with Magura?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’ve got magura on two bikes, various rotors across various wheels and I can’t tell the difference nor am I dead yet. I think.

chakaping
    Free Member

Wanna buy an unused set of Magura MT5s Matt?

pickle
    Free Member

I went from MT5s to Deore 4 pots and loving them.

I liked the magura brakes but once they needed bleeding they never worked properly.

I’m using the Deores with magura rotors so I’m sure you can do the same in reverse.

Well happy with the Deore 4 pots so far though and for £115 all in they’re a bargain

Superficial
    Free Member

I liked the magura
    every mountain bike brake ever brakes but once they needed bleeding they never worked properly.

spawnofyorkshire

Well happy with the Deore 4 pots so far though and for £115 all in they’re a bargain

This!

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Also have MT7s with Shimano floating rotors and am alive (in fact the combo has saved me from my crappy skill set on several occasions)

matt_outandabout

Wanna buy an unused set of Magura MT5s Matt?

Maybe…
    I’m looking at £130 for Magura Trail Sport or £103 for the Deore 4-pot.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’m running MT Trails and up until a few months ago RT77’s, now HC Storms.

The brakes worked well enough on the Shimano rotors, but a few thread discoveries led to looking at specifications for rotors and the discovery that Magura tell you to throw their rotors away when they’re the same thickness Shimano rotors are new. For the price of a pair of rotors I thought it would be worth experimenting and as a result I’ll pay a lot more attention to rotor specs in future.

The brakes generally feel better on the HC Storm’s – not a huge difference but it’s there, and given dome of the stunts people will attempt to improve brake feel and performance, I reckon using the right thickness rotor is a pretty sane upgrade… has to be said the Shimano rotors look secksier though.

matt_outandabout

Cheers all, I’ve bought the Deore 4-pot brakes.
    The Magura’s needed extra adaptor for ispec and possibly the thicker rotors with more adaptors to centre lock, making higher price even higher again…

renton
    Free Member

Whereabouts are the deore 4 pots at that price please !

vincienup
    Free Member

Even without pads that is quite a bargain! If I hadn’t just replaced my walking boots I might have had a pair of those for spares!

renton
    Free Member

Cool thanks for the link.

Jist reading the q&a on the link and it says they don’t come with brake pads.

Any ideas how much the pads are or if the xt single caliper pads will fit ?

matt_outandabout

I have a pair of pads already after a mis-order last year. 😎

matt_outandabout

They’re the D03S resin, D02S Metal

renton
    Free Member

If it helps I’ve found them with pads fitted @ £117.82 so not sure how that compares to the link above.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shimano-br-mt501-disc-brake-set-721660

Cheers

Steve.

matt_outandabout

Bump for the evening crowd…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Magura’s with Shimano rotors?’ is closed to new replies.