Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Magura Thor Problems and set up advice
  • biking_jk
    Free Member

Hi,

I recently took receipt of a pair Thor's (via STW) and very happy with the state of them etc. However, when on the maiden ride, in Afan in the wettest weekend riding for a long time. I had problems with the left hand knob sticking and the damping changing as I was rideing, not unlocking, then locking etc. I decided that it was the lever on the handlebars which was stopping the lever from twisting back against what must be an interal spring. So I chopped the cable and still grit or something stopping the knob from turning.

Anyway, the biggest problem I have had is arm pump, which I did not get from my old Marzochhi's. I don't whether this is because the Magura's are slightly shorter than the Bombers I used to have and the slight geometry change has taken it's tool on the arms…

Does anyone have any tips on the set up and running of Thor's. I think the compression damping is ramping up as I ride, since I do not seem to be bottom the forks out.

I am 80-85kgs and have currently turned all compression damping and platform damping off. I would just like to know how to set up the pressure in teh left leg. I would also like peoples opinion on whether a mod can be done to put a tab/lever onto the left hand knob, so you don't have to have the lever on the bars.

Please help me as I spent a lot on these forks and they look very pretty, but I am beginning to fall out with them when I lose time on my mates becasue my arms are too pumped out. Obvioulsy they can do nothing but laugh!

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

here is a simple tip u can try that worked on my wotan. If the left hand sticking know has an air valve, take the dust cap off, give it all a bit of a clean, then grease the o-ring around the edge of the dust cap, as grit on this can be enough to stop the knob moving back to it's original position.

Also have a look on the magura forum, which has lots of good advice

biking_jk
    Free Member

Hi,

Thanks for the tip, another week gone and looked at the forks!

Bike not been out since. Anyone else had similar problems with set up. Let me know.

Cheers,

Jim

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sheck

Getting the right preload is a faff. Essentially you set what you think is the right pressure, lock the travel down (which charges the negative spring) and then measure your sag. Invariably (in my experience) you'll need a fair pit more psi than the guidelines stated on the fork leg.

nickc

I removed the o ring from the cap on the air valve, now moves easily. Although to be fair I mostly leave it at 140mm, so don't use either a bar mount or the dial much for that matter.

Compression, I use about 4-5 clicks of fat albert, and apart from techy climbing leave it on all the time. Rebound, on these forks I run them slow. (just a click more than you'd think is enough if you see what I mean)

Pressure. The pressures printed on the fork are a bit optimistic, I think mine are at 80psi (I weigh 75kg)

HTH

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Jim
    the left hand side is the flight control (AKA travel adjust) nothing to do with compression damping. That is controlled by the albert select – the blue dial (and the gold blow off valve)

The flight control unit is brand new (ridden once before you got it. Remove the dial using a screw driver to prise it off GENTLY. Clean the o ring etc underneath, and as stated before clean and lube the dust cap and it should all be good.

If it persists ring magura uk in Ashby de la zouche

nickc

Hmmmm gold knob is not a "blow off". It sets how firm the compression damping is once you turn in on (the blue dial underneath it)

racing_ralph
    Free Member

its the same as the threshold on rockshox

robhughes
    Free Member

god. who invented the controls on these forks-frigin einstein. 😕

PePPeR

I don't know who thought of them, but I've had loads of problems getting mine set up right, though to be fair Magura UK have been outstanding!

I find I blow through the travel on my forks and then the damping ramps up and I get the inevitable arm pump! I can avoid this by putting higher pressures in the preload but then there's no sag and the bike wanders round like a swan in the middle of a lake!

I've given up with them and am going to be putting them up for sale in the New Year and shall just stick to my Rockshox from now on.

biking_jk
    Free Member

Pepper, I am in the same boat!

Tried removing top cap and greasing the flight control and maybe because temp was less than zero or something. No joy whatsoever. Maybe there is water in there which is freezing….!

Rob,

I'll try ringing Magura in Ashby. But I reckon the circlip pliers and top cap of forks is coming off first. I need to have a look to find out how it all works, it can't be rocket science (can it?)..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Magura Thor Problems and set up advice’ is closed to new replies.